One of my Sky Q mini boxes shows the home screen but no epg, just a moving wheel with "please wait"

oldgits

Established Member
Reaction score
After two weeks my setup has got its first glitch, one of my mini boxes shows the home screen but no epg, just a moving wheel with "please wait". Tried rebooting the mini box without success. Anybody had this and found a cure?

Im having this as we speak......

After two weeks my setup has got its first glitch, one of my mini boxes shows the home screen but no epg, just a moving wheel with "please wait". Tried rebooting the mini box without success. Anybody had this and found a cure?

Im having this as we speak......
Rebooting won't help, the Mini's lost connection or has a low connection rate to the Silver. SO there's either bandwidth contention or the link between the Silver and the network or Mini and the network is insufficient to support the usage the Mini is currently performing.

Paul

All my other Minis are ok at the moment though, they are displaying the EPG correctly. The one misbehaving is closest to the Hub and Silver box too oddly.

Check your router, sounds like too many connections as they have a limit. Switch another Mini off and see if this one now connects.

Check your router, sounds like too many connections as they have a limit. Switch another Mini off and see if this one now connects.

I turned off the other mini that is working ok and then rebooted the main box and the suspect mini, now all working again.

I turned off the other mini that is working ok and then rebooted the main box and the suspect mini, now all working again.

Probably want to hard wire some or all of them.
I am right that they connect to your home wifi and not their own one?

I only have one on now - same issue still there.

Is that in the same room/ area where there's the most wireless traffic?

Paul

ETA: How many Minis do you have connected?

Yes it is, near my Rack - Hub, two Minis and the Silver box all near each other.

Have Silver plus 4 Minis in the house.

Ok, hardwired it and made no difference !

I surrender to the baffling multitudes of Sky Q setup !

Yes it is, near my Rack - Hub, two Minis and the Silver box all near each other.
OK, that's good as it gives some weight to my thought that switching off the WiFi transceiver improving things.

The next step would be to switch off the WiFi on all Minis you don't require to act as extenders. Reset the network settings, configure for ethernet connection. Then enter the installer menu and switch off the WiFi in there.

Have Silver plus 4 Minis in the house.
I think Sky need to clarify what they mean when they state you can only "watch concurrently on 2 Minis". They do say "connect up to 4", so I'd assume that means the other 2 need to be in standby?!

Paul

OK, that's good as it gives some weight to my thought that switching off the WiFi transceiver improving things.

The next step would be to switch off the WiFi on all Minis you don't require to act as extenders. Reset the network settings, configure for ethernet connection. Then enter the installer menu and switch off the WiFi in there.

I think Sky need to clarify what they mean when they state you can only "watch concurrently on 2 Minis". They do say "connect up to 4", so I'd assume that means the other 2 need to be in standby?!

Paul

Yeah I have only two on at most.
So what do you have hardwired now?

Paul
Hardwired the Mini with the EPG issue. Made no difference or improvement, even after rebooting.

Did you make the relevant settings changes to let the mini know it's on Ethernet?

Yes but how are the other Q devices connected? When troubleshooting specifics are key!

Paul
Silver is hardwired, Kitchen Mini is hardwired, Office Mini is now hardwired, Gym Mini is wifi and Bedroom is Wifi.

Sky should give me a system that works as advertised ! I feel like Ive spent months troubleshooting.......I have actually. Im due my 6th Engineers visit soon.

OK, now we're on the same page.
Which of the Mini's could you do without being WiFi extenders?

Re Sky's involvement, I'm still not convinced the installers have the knowledge to troubleshoot the system. It's actually not that complicated but a wider understanding of IP networks and devices is needed to assist in putting 2 and 2 together and not getting 75.

Paul

OK, now we're on the same page.
Which of the Mini's could you do without being WiFi extenders?

Re Sky's involvement, I'm still not convinced the installers have the knowledge to troubleshoot the system. It's actually not that complicated but a wider understanding of IP networks and devices is needed to assist in putting 2 and 2 together and not getting 75.

Paul

I could do with the hub left on and the bedroom Mini.

I could disable the rest. So do I just turn off 2.4 and 5ghz in the installers menu?

I could disable the rest. So do I just turn off 2.4 and 5ghz in the installers menu?

I don't have Sky Q yet but can you run some on a 2.4Ghz SSID and some on 5Ghz? You'd want to run the furthest away on 5Ghz and nearest should be fine in 2.4 but not sure if that would work overall.

I don't have Sky Q yet but can you run some on a 2.4Ghz SSID and some on 5Ghz? You'd want to run the furthest away on 5Ghz and nearest should be fine in 2.4 but not sure if that would work overall.

Haven't you got that the wrong way around? 5GHz is faster but doesn't travel through solid objects (such as walls) as well as 2.4GHz. So farther away you'd want to use 2.4GHz

I actually thought the 2.4 channel was for standard wifi and the 5 gig channel was for the TVs picture?

They don't have specific uses, but generally 5GHz is recommended for media/video as it's faster. However, it doesn't work through walls as well as 2.4GHz does. So it all depends on your setup and house.

Haven't you got that the wrong way around? 5GHz is faster but doesn't travel through solid objects (such as walls) as well as 2.4GHz. So farther away you'd want to use 2.4GHz

Ah yes wrong way round.

Don't use wifi much [emoji4]

The Hub needs to stay on as it's the main WiFi access point. This shouldn't have an impact on the Q TV performance. If it does, Sky have MUCH bigger issues.

First thing I'd try is disabling the WiFi on the Silver. I don't fully understand whether the Silver needs WiFi enabled for the hotspots on the Minis to function, it shouldn't but I don't know for sure. So disable the WiFi on the Silver and see whether the hotspots still hotspot from the Minis.
If they do, leave the Silver WiFi disabled and disable the WiFi on all the Minis you don't need it for.

This won't solve the suspected issue. My theory is that having the WiFi enabled on the various Q boxes that are connected via ethernet is causing conflicts resulting in patchy connectivity. If the theory is correct, the only way to rectify the issue is to disable the WiFi on the boxes that don't require it.

Re what WiFi band to us, I don't think you can choose with the hotspots, the boxes communicate with each other on the 5GHz band and offer the 2.4GHz band for 3rd party devices connected to the hotspots.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom