Question One Of my 2 tv's keep flickering using an HDMI splitter

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Calisssss, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Calisssss

Calisssss
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick Intro; I recently bought an OREI HD-102 1in 2out hdmi splitter to output my computer on both my TVs which are an old 46'' Sharp Aquos 1080p tv and a newer 55'' Samsung 4k UHD tv.

The first thing id like to understand is why windows and nvidia control panel always switch to the old Aquos signal when i start it and override my newer samsung even tho the newer TV is plugged in the first output of the splitter
    (tried swapping ports, same result, the sharp takes over).

That first problem i could live with but...

my main problem is this
    :

My old Sharp keep flickering as if the HDMI port it was using kept searching the input or resetting (tried other ports, same result), cant even access the tv menu for more than 5 sec before it resets again. It works like a charm when i plug it directly in the graphic card but as soon as i plug it in the splitter it starts all over again. Problem is, the samsung works without a hitch in both splitter ports which makes me think the problem comes from a compatibility issue and not from the TV itself or the splitter (which would make me very sad).

Id appreciate any help, explanations, workaround or whatever useful information anyone could provide, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    EDID - run this utility and find out what the PC is seeing when you have the Distribution Amp (Splitter) in the signal path, http://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

PC - what Resolution/Refresh are you Outputting?

Cabling - any long cables?

Two options to consider:

1. Distribution Amp with onboard EDID Manager (approx £140) - that way the PC sees just the EDID you want it to see.

2. EDID Manager (£75) - sits between the PC and the Distribution Amp and again allows you to control what the PC 'sees'?

Joe

3. Calisssss

Calisssss
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - I ran the app you linked multiple times and it sees my AOC monitor and the Samsung TV in the display IDs column With Real-time 0x00something tag and the Sharp with registry tag (When Both in function) but as soon as i open the Sharp and refresh the application, the Samsung is no longer seen and the Sharp takes its place in the list with the Real-time 0x00something (don't know what it means either).

- I output 1080p and 60hz with the PC

- Both HDMI cables to the TVs are 50 ft and the one that link the splitter to the PC is 5 foot

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    50ft is quite long for HDMI cable.

Does the Sharp work with just the 50ft cable from the PC ?

5. Calisssss

Calisssss
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    works perfectly when i plug it directly in the PC with the 50 foot cable

(same goes for the samsung with the 50 foot cable but the thing is... the samsung works in both splitter port too)