1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One night to decide on new Tv! Any Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FlyingBig, Apr 19, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excluding Toshiba (due to a very very faint white vertical bar that runs down centre of the screen and all widescreen tvs) and any Sony Tv that incorporates advanced digital motion.
    I am looking for a Tv that is free from any sort of digital processing system that creates unwanted side effects (artefacts) and i really need the set to have good geometry, any major bending at any side of the tv and its going straight back to were it came from. This is the 10th TV i am on and this epic is getting very tiresome, all i want is something that does what it says on the tin like any old tv set used to do without any irrating geometry flaws and other niggly issues. Thanks in advance.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try a B&O mate beovision 32" ought to do it........

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion but i would like to stick with well known brands atm. So far i have read an impressive review for the thomson 28wh203s but at the moment i am swaying towards possibily a plasma tv. Decisions decisions eah. Anybody had any bad experiences with Plasma and wish to share? Now would be a good time ;)

4. ventoboy1000

ventoboy1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FlyingBig.
    I went through 2 Sony KV32FQ86's with the advanced 100hz digital motion.
    Both went back to Sony with software problems. (Random switching on and off).
    I didn't really like the advanced digital motion as imho it made movies look like they were being run on fast forward.
    I took a risk and bought another Sony, KD32DX200. This set does not have the advanced digital motion and instead has DRC(Digital Reality Creation) which can be used either in 50 or 100hz.
    I've been very impressed with this set and the geometry is pretty good.
    Hope this helps !

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Advanced digital motion is a joke. I have the KV28FQ86 now and imo it is the worst tv i have ever set my eyes upon, so many things wrong with i am convinced the Sony crew played football with it during quality control! Geometry flaws, jet black vertyical bar running down left center of the screen, Interference from both RGB ports which is incurable and has nothing to do with my gear or room as i have bever had an issue before i got this tv, 2 very fine black lines running horizontally across the screen adn finally the digital motion ssytem which still seems to interfere and pixelate my viewing even when its turned off.

I'll have a look at your set but i am weary of Sony after the previous tv had light anomalies that appeared when there were bright objects in a dark room for example. It would throw up what looked like spots of lights that would appear then disappear very quickly. Unbelieveable the crap you get with the latest tvs, unacceptable.

6. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Sony KV32FQ86 for about a week now and love it! No problems at all...............yet ;) and the picture suits me fine.

If you are looking for a no frills TV with no horror stories attached then it could be argued that a Plasma is the worst thing you can buy, what with the screen burn and pixeling issues.

I know what you mean though. Buying a new TV is a chore

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Look at a 50Hz TV - there are no artifacts on those!

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    True, 50hz is sweet but the problem still exists with geometry. Sony's Trinitron tubes are good but i have mentioned before an issue i had with a particular 50hz sony tv which as put me off and i don't trust other makes of tv to supply me with perfect geometry and thats speaking from experience. Also with Sony tvs i have noticed the very left and right edges have a redish/yellowish tinge to them almost like the speakers are causing it. Seems to be standard as well as i have noticed it on 2 makes so i am really looking elsewhere and in the direction of a Thomson tv that has caught my eye and is 50hz and cheap :D Fingers crossed.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Known brands??? Do you mean to tell me you have never heard of Bang & Olufsen??? B&O the Danish masters of style? And Quality control??? Worlds BEST CRT

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My TV is fine - however it is an older Wega, and I have tweaked the geometry

11. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, could i walk into dixons and buy one? I did look the brand up on home cinema on-line and it got decent reviews but the reviewer mentioned a couple of small minor convergence issues so its was an instant turn off for me. Bit pricey as well ;)

12. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    why are you not considering a loewe acconda at around £1250
    was £2000 a year ago.
    thats unbeatable highest spec vaue for money.
    why buy sony ,panny etc when you can have this!
    b&o 'top dog' without even knowing you,i cant see you buying it!
    the loewe acconda needs serious consideration

13. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    funny lol!