1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One More AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Drew C, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've got my ae300 at last, but I'm not in a great position to test it properly. I'm still waiting for my screen which I ordered from Nexnix weeks ago, hopefully due by the end of next week. With no screen in place I had no choice but to try it out on my beige wall.
    My initial impressions are that the picture is quite soft and items inthe distance seem out of focus and slightly fuzzy, this maybe due to the fact that I have it linked up via RGB scart and I hope that if I upgrade to a dvd player with component it might sharpen it up a bit (can any owners confirm this for me?).
    As everyone says there is no screendoor and it's very quiet.

One gripe I do have an answer to is the dead green pixel whis is in the middle of the screen about a third in from the right!:mad:
    I've arranged to have it replaced. Do a lot of ae300 owners have dead pixels? to me it's totally unnaceptable! Pixel policy Schmixel policy- IMO if theres a dead pixel, then the projector is faulty, I dont give a monkeys if its green,blue,red or pink with yellow spots! (I'm just letting off steam, let's not start another pixel debate!)
    So hopefully I'll have my screen and replacement PJ soon, at which point I can test it properly.

I'ld appreciate any feedback from any AE300 owners who have compared Scart to Component.:smashin:

2. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi there,

Could I ask you where you ordered your AE300 from and how long it took ? (as you may have seen I'm waiting for an AE300 from Nexnix but they are waiting for stock)

Thanks

Edz

3. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought it from Unbeatable.co.uk, but it took 4 weeks to arrive! Now it's being returned it may well take the same again! I've been told that Panasonic themselves have now got free stock, so I should think Nexnix will have them pretty soon.

4. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the reply and the tip re Panasonics stock supply.

I think I will probably wait for Nexnix since, (A) should I get a problematical unit, they seem to be very good as far as customer service is concerned (B) there's no guarantee anyone will get a unit to me faster if I cancel the order and go somewhere else and (C) they offer the pixel check.

Hope your unit is back with you soon, can't wait to watch some of my DVD's on an 8ft screen is all...:)

Cheers

Edz

5. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got my PT-AE300E to day from http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk
    no bad pixels .no screen door effect. run s.vido from my dvd
    recorder panasonic dmr50. for my digital box to the ae300e .fantastic i have got a 4.3 .6foot screen. going to up grade it to 8ft 16.9 screen soon. more tests .
    thanks joe.

6. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    up date.
    just run my pt-ae300e with my pioneer dv737 dvd player with component cable.
    fantastic. dvd GLADIATOR AND TOY STORY.
    THANKS JOE.

7. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe,

Did you see an obvious difference in picture quality when you changed from s-vid to component?
    Noticed any dead pixels yet?

8. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi drew

on the picture difference on dvd s.video over the component on the PT-AE300E . is a big difference.better image shapness and detail.

i am so impressed with s.video on PT-AE300E . the over the s.video on my nec vt440 projector. for the satellite echostar d-2500ip .the difference 300.1 up to 800.1 contrast and no screen/door.big differnce. and no dead pixels yet?
    thank joe.

9. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quickie to say I have mine connected via component from a Phillips 963sa (pal progressive) and have to say it is unbeleavably sharp. I only have it on a 70" portable pull up screen (from Nexnix) but when focused properly it is razor sharp.

Deks

10. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yesterday I connected my 300 via component to my Sony 900 DVD player. I also connected the player to a 32" Tosh via SVHS to see if there was any difference.

Result: WOW! blacks are black on the 300 on the TV slightly blueish and the colours are deep and rich. I thought someone had messed around with the set up on the TV. No optimax shows it to be OK.

11. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had my ae300 picked up on monday morning, and I can forget waiting another few weeks for a replacement.....a new one arrived this morning!! a surprise to say the least. I've turned it on and yet again I've found dead pixels (this has got to be a common problem with this model).The only difference is that instead of one 'bright' green one theres about three 'dull' green ones in different places, but I had to look hard for them. From where I'm sitting I dont notice them. This might have something to do with projecting onto a beige wall. At the moment I'm planning on keeping this one until the screen arrives. If I can see them when projecting onto the screen, it's going back again!
    Anybody know if dead pixels can get brighter?

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Drew,

What you are describing aren't dead pixels. They are dust specks on the surface of the panels as opposed to dust on the lenses or mirrors which are the ones that appear after a time as diffuse fist sized blobs on your screen. They are nothing to worry about and will not get worse. Every projector has them to a greater or lesser degree and as you noted, they are invisible from normal viewing distances.

13. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got my new panny 300 last night with no dead pixels (paid for the check), am using my brand new harman kardman 25 progressive scan player, with very expensive ixos rgb leads..........the picture much sharper then with an svideo lead that I was using previously...............

14. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Moss,

Get a component cable and be prepared to be blown away. Even my missus noticed the difference. And she never notices anything, or am I being naive?

15. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had the Ae300e for nearly 2 weeks

setting up for the low power mode on cinema 1

from my progressive scan dvd player.

picture mode cinema 1

contrast +2
    bright -3
    color 0
    tint +2
    shapness 0
    colour temp (user) then press enter
    you should now see custom color temp screen

contrast r +6
    contrast b -4
    bright r -1
    bright b -4

made a great difference to the skin tones.

thanks joe.

16. Salamander

Salamander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Moss...
    Did you get this from Nexnix? just wondered if they are back in sock now - I can't get a reply on the phone

17. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes m8 went down picked it up, the got more in on thursday

18. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My projecta procinem 92" screen arrived on Monday at last!
    The picture quality is obviously improved, and it also makes the whole movie watching experience much more enjoyable.
    Only problem is: If you read my earlier posts I am now on my second Ae300 and yet again I have dead green pixels which are much more obvious on the screen. I also have a large dust blob in the lower left corner:mad:
    So it's going back yet again on monday!!!!! Hopefully I'll get a replacement as quick as the last one and be third time lucky.

The AE300 Saga Continues.......................................

19. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me too, what looked like a dusty blob in the bottom left was actually a green pixel that looked grey, but if you defocus the lense completely and shine it on a white wall very near you it takes up less distance and is then obviously a green one

very upsetting :-( back it goes for machine no 3!