1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One last problem getting sound from NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by pjwraith, Aug 23, 2005.

1. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one more issue to resolve and then I can relax, I am hoping someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

I have a Pace box from NTL, it only has two scart outputs, no phonos.

I am using one scart direct to a panel for viewing (will be through a scart box tomorrow)
    I have attached a scart to svideo/2 phonos on the other scart output and run phonos only to the amp. I know I cant use the svideo, it appears I can only output composite and RGB signals.

However the phonos do not seem to produce any sound? Is this because I cannot output a svideo signal? Does it affect the sound output as well meaning I need a different cable? I have tried this from two seperate NTL boxes and I get the same result.....

As an analog input I assume I need do nothing on the amp side to make this work? I have a Pioneer VSX 1014S

Input is most welcome, I had not expected connections to be so complex ! :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The only reason I can think of for this not working is that the cable is designed to work with the signal travelling in the wrong direction. Most of the pins in a scart cable are designed to carry the signal in only one direction. Therefore I think you will need to get a cable that carries the signal into the scart end and out of the Phono/S-Video plugs.
    Your other option would be to get a scart switch box that has separate phono outputs so you can split the audio off that and send it to your receiver.

Mark.

3. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, you could well be right. I assumed the scart to svideo and phon cables I had were bidirectional, it never occurred to me that it would only go one way.

nice man at NTL has just been to sort out a problem, in the meantime he has left a scart to phone lead for me from his van so hoping to be all go very soon :clap:

Watched Jurassic Park last night from the DVD and was blown away, with volume up at 0Db it was absolutely awesome, breathed new life into an old film. :D

4. pjwraith

pjwraith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted, nice NTL man came and replaced the box (faulty) and left a scart to phone breakout cable. :D

Only issue I have now is aspect ratio continually changing whilst watching DVD and using a JS technology scart box to switch between NTL and DVD, I suspect it is the naff ribbon NTL scart cable I am using temporarily, have to sort that today....Do you think that is likely to be the problem?