• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

One hd box two tv's

u268642

Standard Member
Hi All,

Ive got two tv's and i wondered if its possible to connect my ky hd box to both by using a hdmi adapter that has two outputs?

Ive sourced some 20m hdmi cable but before buying it thought id ask if anyone knew if i would get the sky pic on both tv's

logiciel

my ky hd box
:D

The TVs must be an awfully long distance apart to need 20m of cable, but HDMI switches are cheap enough so you could always try one, to give you the output on one of the TVs at a time.

cliveuk

i have a 3 way hdmi splitter on my HD box and all 3 tvs work fine

Johnbyte

Have you thought about HDMI over cat5/6 rather than a 20m HDMI cable? Cat5/6 cable is much easier to handle - more flexible, easier to pass through walls etc and easier to terminate.

paul1

I thought HDMI was limited to 15m then you need to amplify it...

logiciel

There isn't a fixed limit, but I wouldn't use anything over 5 metres.
And how would you amplify HDMI?

paul_bunce

Standard Member
I have a 5m HDMI cable going to a splitter with two 15m HDMI cables to two TV's. On the end of the 15m cables i have an extender/repeater and then a further 2m of cable (22m total cable length). perfect 1080p image from a PS3 and 1080i from Sky HD box.:)

logiciel

What is the extender/repeater?

paul_bunce

Standard Member
Its just a little box (size of a small matchbox) that connects to the end of a long HDMI cable. Its "amplifies and regenerates" the HDMI signal. The manurfacture claims it can fix any signal loss on a cable up to 35m long. I bought it as after 20m of cable my 1080p signall was breaking up on the screen. The cost was about £13.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
There isn't a fixed limit, but I wouldn't use anything over 5 metres.
And how would you amplify HDMI?

You don't amplify digital, just clean up the digital pulses and retransmit them at the original voltage. (it's just a high speed switch) Fibre cables used for TV distribution and other purposes use repeaters every few km or so.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom