One Guide

When they say months I assume this is for the smartglass app. I'm hoping the one guide comes in this months update. Been waiting for this since launch. :(

Had a further play with this and now have it set up how I want it. Managed to add the channels I wanted to the favourites and it's working fine now through my Humax freeview player. Changes channels quickly and haven't had any problems with voice recognition.

I've been waiting for this update for a while and it hasn't disappointed so far, being able to turn all my devices on and off with Kinect, control my tv's volume and pause live TV etc with the Kinect is great in my opinion.

The Xbox is really coming into its own now as a gaming machine and as a media player with the updates we've had recently and no doubt more to come. I'm not interested in which console is more powerful, it's about the features it has which interest me and Xbox feels next gen to me. MS are slowly rectifying things with updates and adding some great functionality. Can't wait for Dolby Vision later in the year too. Phil Spencer taking over is a great move also and I'm sure with him at the helm, things will only get better.

I hope they add things to One Guide such as being able to use voice to go to your planner to watch recordings as for me that's all that's really missing. Not sure if they'll be able to do that though, don't know what you guys think?

When they say months I assume this is for the smartglass app. I'm hoping the one guide comes in this months update. Been waiting for this since launch. :(
One Guide will be in testing for a few months so will not be in this months update. The new SmartGlass app is also in beta and is currently in the Play store. New SmartGlass app is to work with One Guide as well as all the stuff it did before.

You can also tell Kinect to change the TV channel while TV is in snap mode. The wasted space underneath the tv is now taken up by recent channels

After using since last night, I must admit that I am impressed.
A couple of things though:-
It would be better if we could get rid of the radio listings in the guide.
Id also Like to see (as well as the current view) an option of selecting Movies,Kids,Docs etc to make browsing and searching for channels easier.
Also, I'm not sure if its just me but if I change channel using the guide then press the oneguide button say half hour later, it doesnt bring up the guide on the current channel. It seems to default back to the first page.
So far impressed though and looking good for the future.

I want in :(

Spent a bit of the day getting a feel for this new addition, and it's a great start but still rough around the edges. First off, being able to say "Xbox, watch BBC 1" is flat out a game changer. You can do it from anywhere, a game, an app, wherever. Also, controlling the Guide by voice, then saying the name of the programme you want to watch. I mean that's just brilliant, wife loves it (to be fair, so do I!)

But why do I have to say "Xbox, watch Sky Sports 1 HDTV United Kingdom" to watch Sky Sports 1? That needs fixing. The whole channel naming convention needs making intuitive, and in guess that's what the beta is all about, letting us hone it before it goes wild.

Nice touch integrating the OneDrive channels in too, I back up my mobile phone photos automatically to OneDrive and that is now in the Guide too.

It's a great feature, and I'm starting to get the feeling MS's big plan is starting to come together now.

One drive has been in the one guide since day one, along with other content apps, like lovefilm/amazon and machinima.

Can you use voice commands like "Xbox watch channel 141" if you know the number or do you have to say "bbc 1" etc?

Would be good if could choose things from your sky planner at some point too

Can you use voice commands like "Xbox watch channel 141" if you know the number or do you have to say "bbc 1" etc?

You have to say the channel name

What's the idea behind that? Because you don't know the planner name?

And I can't think of a technical way for them ever to voice control your DVR, I just don't know how that'd be possible.

A problem I've noticed with the one guide is when navigating things like lovefilm/amazon on the one guide, the title of the film or tv show is not highlighted green as if you can say it. Bit the star rating is. So using voice to launch things like that from the one guide ain't possible.

I can't remember seeing these channel options below the TV while in snap mode before, so I am guessing it's because of the OneGuide? Quite frankly, I love it.

14to5xs.jpg

First off, being able to say "Xbox, watch BBC 1" is flat out a game changer.
That was a proper wow moment for me, like you say you can say it from anywhere, not just on the TV... it feels like a real game changer and was the first time I thought "Ahhh Microsoft... the whole TV through your console... I get "it" now

But why do I have to say "Xbox, watch Sky Sports 1 HDTV United Kingdom" to watch Sky Sports 1? That needs fixing. The whole channel naming convention needs making intuitive, and in guess that's what the beta is all about, letting us hone it before it goes wild.
They've said on the preview forum that they are well aware of this issue and they wanted to get it out to the preview testers knowing this is something that will be sorted out

It's a great feature, and I'm starting to get the feeling MS's big plan is starting to come together now.
Agree completly!

I can't remember seeing these channel options below the TV while in snap mode before, so I am guessing it's because of the OneGuide? Quite frankly, I love it.

14to5xs.jpg
Ya i posted about that the other day. I like it.

Ive not had to use Sky remote all day. Ive used One Guide to go to the channels i wanted to watch today and used the Sky+ app on my phone to play recordings from my Sky box planner and to delete them as well. Used the Media Remote to fw and play etc

Ive not had to use Sky remote all day. Ive used One Guide to go to the channels i wanted to watch today and used the Sky+ app on my phone to play recordings from my Sky box planner and to delete them as well. Used the Media Remote to fw and play etc

Not sure if you know, but fast forward, rewind, pause etc. can all be done by voice as well.

Not sure if you know, but fast forward, rewind, pause etc. can all be done by voice as well.
Ya i know but its just quicker to fw via remote. I do use voice to pause and play sometimes

Yeah its really good isnt it. It's now a part of my full time tv set up.
The only thing it needs is a categories section.Entertainment,movies,sport,kids etc.
Its very long winded finding channels if you dont know the channel number.
Other than that its pretty damn good.
One more thing is how easy it is to "un-favourite" channels...The ammount of times the kids have gone into favourites and selected the channel to end up moving it out of favourites is a little annoying.
Really impressed so far.

Yeah its really good isnt it. It's now a part of my full time tv set up.
The only thing it needs is a categories section.Entertainment,movies,sport,kids etc.
Its very long winded finding channels if you dont know the channel number.
Other than that its pretty damn good.
One more thing is how easy it is to "un-favourite" channels...The ammount of times the kids have gone into favourites and selected the channel to end up moving it out of favourites is a little annoying.
Really impressed so far.
I agree with sections. I have done the same with channels, its far to early to un favourite a channel

Ok, question. I'm thinking of using an hdmi splitter to split my sky source so I can use the tv features of the Xbox but still be able to have sky on its own dedicated channel. The question is if I did this can I chose to change channels by voice but not have it turn the tv and amp on when I say Xbox on? And likewise off. In simpler terms can I chose it to just control the sky box and nothing else?

Can anyone explain how to use voice to change channel? I can pause TV and load the one guide, but nothing happens when I try and change unless it's the channel I'm watching, do the channels have to be in your favourites?

I've found that the channels have to be in favourites or recent, others are saying that that isn't the case. Also you have to be accurate when saying the name of the channel. You have to say the full name that is displayed in green.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom