• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

One Guide

nstokes

Prominent Member
This is a new thread that carrys on from the Software update thread. Everyone that is in the One Guide preview update post here all about One Guide

McKnuckles

Established Member
I just turned on my Xbox One and had a play with the sound settings in troubleshooting (just to change the volume select) when I saw that there was a cable provider option ... so I selected BSkyB HD to see what would happen on a whim ..... holy moly .. OneGuide works and is showing all my sky channels .. and Xbox switches my Sky HD box on and off ... and I can see loads of TV channels on OneGuide with the correct programme info .. and I can change channels with voice control .... (It's cool .. You say the programme name like "Watch Campions League" etc and it also creates a recently watched list so you can say "Watch ITV Meridian" or "Watch channel 4" and it switches (sends code 1-0-4 to Sky Box etc so you see it happen. Oh yeah, sky+ stuff like "pause", "rewind" etc all works.

Consider me impressed and this is just after a 5 min play!

TheFreeJaffa

Established Member
Nice, selecting a programme brings up alternative broadcast times, cast and episode guides, and a option to add that show to your pins - at which point it will ask you what steaming app (Netflix, Amazon) to use to play back content from that show.

Gazaman

Prominent Member
Awesome!!! Cant get epg list for my dreambox though :(
oneguide has 101 mapped for bbc and my dreambox is set to 1 etc
I'm sure with some fiddling I can sort it though :thumbsup:

nstokes

Prominent Member
It will be even better when they enable it to show us whats on your PVR box. Im sure they have that in USA at present. Only need Sky remote now to access planner and start a recording, then i use Xbox Media Remote for the rest

nstokes

Prominent Member

nstokes

Prominent Member
I cant get mine to watch a program via saying program name. I said Xbox watch holby city and it didnt work. I have tried it with other things as well and not working

BoroFanUK

Established Member
So is the one guide update available this month in the next update? Just watched xbox video on youtube and the guy says 'in the coming months' but also talks about new smartglass functions.

nstokes

Prominent Member

nstokes

Prominent Member
I found a flaw in this new One remote rules them all stuff. I used beta SmartGlass this morning and yes it works with my Sky Box but.......the setup i have still means i still need to use the Sky remote to mute my TV.

I have Xbox connect to my AVR. Xbox sees this and controls this via the voice controls and same with Media remote. As it controls the AVR instead of TV for volume i use my Sky remote to mute the TV. I using the DVR mute button voa SmartGlass and it mutes the AVR. Only way i can fix this is by not turning off the AVR at the plug when im not home. I currently do this to save electic. Anyone else found this flaw and what do you guys suggest?

Mexico Man

Established Member
I am using SmartGlass to control my Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat box. My only niggle is that there is no 'Media' button on the app. So you can't get to the recordings. I have sent feedback on the app to request this feature.

Tokoloshe Man

Prominent Member
Is there any way to set it up to turn your free view box on and off when you use Xbox on and turn off.

Found it!

Tokoloshe Man

Prominent Member
How many channels can you have in your favourites, is there a limit?

Also some channels are not adding to my favourites list, example having kids we watch a lot of CBeebies, that's not appearing and won't navigate to it when using voice commands, any ideas?

Last edited:

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Just hope they hurry up and roll this out as it's a feature I've been looking forward to.

LeeDicko

Prominent Member
Just hope they hurry up and roll this out as it's a feature I've been looking forward to.

Think it's going to be a fair wait for those not on the preview thingy, they said it will be tested by those for a "couple of months" to get everything working correctly before fully releasing.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Think it's going to be a fair wait for those not on the preview thingy, they said it will be tested by those for a "couple of months" to get everything working correctly before fully releasing.
Yeah it's a shame. Don't know how you get on the preview thingy. Clearly being on XBL since 2004 and owning all three consoles isn't enough. Ah well, shall just have to wait.

LeeDicko

Prominent Member
Yeah it's a shame. Don't know how you get on the preview thingy. Clearly being on XBL since 2004 and owning all three consoles isn't enough. Ah well, shall just have to wait.

Yeah, I only got in because some nice chap on these forums put my name down for an invite. I think they've closed it now but I'll keep checking and if they ever open it again i'll stick your name down :)

Tokoloshe Man

Prominent Member
Cas were you not involved with the last preview updates?

Someone was kind enough to send me a code last time and that would appear to have been enough for me to get this update early.

Haven't had much time testing it yet, I have a Humax free view box and also a Bt Vision box as I am with BT. I use the Humax box in the living room as I can't get HD channels on the BT Vision box due to not being on fibre or cable broadband. Seems to be working well enough, set up was easy and my Xbox is now set up to turn on and off my freeview box along with my TV and surround system.

As someone has already mentioned, if you want to watch any recordings on your planner, you have to use the freeview remote as there is no option in the One Guide. To be fair that would be clever if they could do that but I'm not expecting it. The One Guide shows all the available channels and then it's a case of adding them to your favourites list to enable voice activation of changing channels.

One issue I've had is that I added a lot of channels to my favourites but some of them didn't show up in there. For example as I've mentioned my kids watch CBeebies but that wasn't in my favourites list even though I'd added it. I'm wondering if there's a limit to how many you can have in your favourites. Got a few hours free this afternoon so will have a play and report back with any findings.

Impressed though so far, channel switching via voice works well once you get used to what to say, example BT Sport is "Xbox watch BT Sport 1 UK". It seems a mouthful but you soon get used to it.

Last edited:

barneystuta

Prominent Member
One thing I like is when I say "Xbox watch BBC 1" it automatically goes to BBC 1 HD instead for the standard SD channel.

Like with most Kinect voice commands, it takes a little while to perfect them. Once you get the hang of it though, it is pretty easy.

Although "Xbox watch PlayBoy" went to Channel 5 which I found quiet funny :D

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Cas were you not involved with the last preview updates?

Someone was kind enough to send me a code last time and that would appear to have been enough for me to get this update early.

Haven't had much time testing it yet, I have a Humax free view box and also a Bt Vision box as I am with BT. I use the Humax box in the living room as I can't get HD channels on the BT Vision box due to not being on fibre or cable broadband. Seems to be working well enough, set up was easy and my Xbox is now set up to turn on and off my freeview box along with my TV and surround system.

As someone has already mentioned, if you want to watch any recordings on your planner, you have to use the freeview remote as there is no option in the One Guide. To be fair that would be clever if they could do that but I'm not expecting it. The One Guide shows all the available channels and then it's a case of adding them to your favourites list to enable voice activation of changing channels.

One issue I've had is that I added a lot of channels to my favourites but some of them didn't show up in there. For example as I've mentioned my kids watch CBeebies but that wasn't in my favourites list even though I'd added it. I'm wondering if there's a limit to how many you can have in your favourites. Got a few hours free this afternoon so will have a play and report back with any findings.

Impressed though so far, channel switching via voice works well once you get used to what to say, example BT Sport is "Xbox watch BT Sport 1 UK". It seems a mouthful but you soon get used to it.
No sadly not. I asked each time but never got a code through, despite someone inviting me. I was a bit late to the party with the x1 I guess so probably missed out on the initial lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom