1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for the TH42PE30 boys (and girls)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by abinormal, Nov 15, 2004.

1. abinormal

abinormal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Mine arrives on Saturday :clap:

I have a question about the connections.

I'll be connecting a DVD player via the component input. I see from the spec that sound for this goes via the AV4 connector. This seems a bit of a waste of an RGB scart so I thought I might send all the noise from the DVD direct to the hifi and leave AV4 free. Would I then be able to use AV4 as a separate RGB input (for a hard-drive recorder) or would the panny only accept sound for the component input via AV4?

Ta!

2. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can only have component or scart on AV4 not both at the same time. Also, I beleive if scart and component are both populated the scart is enabled only (i.e. you cannot select component at all).

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I thought you could :confused: I have a VCR connected via composite to my AV4 yet if I repeatedly press the blue button on the remote the TV cycles through AV4 -> AV4S -> AV4C. It would auto detect and RGB signal and switch automatically. Is your scenario specific to RGB SCART connections or are composite and S-Video SCART connections applicable too? Long term I am hoping to connect a DVD/HDD recorder via AV4 Component and still have my video recorder hooked up via AV4 Composite. I'm not worried about sound as I would have them linked to my 5.1 surround sound amp.

S.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok, lets try and clear this up .
    Av4 is a shared input. It covers the component inputs and the rgb scart connection. MY dvd player is connected via the av4 compononet input and my playsation 2 is connected to the av4 rgb scart. Because of the way the dvd is connected, I have no sound going to the plasma from it. If i did want sound then i would be connecting a scart from the player to av4 as well.
    If you are doing this, most players have to be set for component or rgb ect. MY player has to be set up like this.So a composite signal would be sent via scart and the component via the three component leads. You can manualy select which input to watch via the blue button on the remote as stated in the above post.
    I think where some of the confusion may have appeared, is when i switch the playstation on, the plasma will lock on to the rgb signal and auto switch to this mode. This happens even if the dvd player is on .The rgb signal overides the component one. You can however manualy switch it back using the remote controll again, although why anyone would like to watch a dvd and play on the games consoll at the same time is beyond me :D

5. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked out the information from the user guide that if the scart on AV4 is RGB enabled then then component could not be selected at all and RGB takes prority. Although I have not verified this myself because I'm using the audio input on AV4 when my DVD is connected to the component input on AV4 (wife and kid haven't learnt to turn on the 5.1 yet, also she uses the DVD for recording everyday TV so not much point in turning on the 5.1 just to watch that).

FYI

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I’m trying to connect my E85 with component cable and feel like I’m going round in circles. The only things connected to the plasma are the E85 and Sky (haven’t got a surround sound system yet). Can someone tell me if I’m doing it right!?!

Here’s how I’ve got it all connected:

Connections

Sky scart --> Viera AV1 (RGB socket)
    E85 scart --> Viera AV4 (RGB socket)
    E85 component --> Viera AV4c
    VCR scart --> Viera AV2

*Will be getting another scart to connect Sky & E85 together

Settings on E85

AV1 output --> S-video (with component)
    Progressive scan – ON

So as far as I understand, if by pressing the blue button on the Viera remote it toggles between RGB and Component? And when it is on AV4c, I am viewing a progressive scan picture?

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Woohoo!! :D Exactly as I thought :thumbsup: Thanks for clearing that up David :smashin:

888, Ah I must have misunderstood you, I thought you were referring to all SCART signals as opposed to specifically RGB via SCART. My future plan is still on track :cool: Panny DVD/HDD recorder via component and the existing video via AV4 composite with all sound routed to my 5.1 amp. :) Niiice.

S.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    And usually the DVD output is either OR as well. Set it to output RGB then it will not output Component and vice versa. So it ends up making no difference anyway.

9. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. But it would have been nice to connect the XBOX to AV4 RGB. My AV1 RGB is connected to the sat decoder so have to resort to using s-video on AV2 for the XBOX.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    No RGB loop through on your Sat decoder ?