1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for All remotes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by martin day, Apr 9, 2003.

1. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody use the OFA6 (not the Kameleon)

I've been looking at the OFA6 which says it can operate any device including satellite boxes. But....does this include Sky Digibox or is this just purely for analogue. The reason I ask is because OFA has one called OFA4 Digital which has overlays for different satellite controls.

Also does the OFA6 provide Videoplus as there never seems to be any mention of this on their websites?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
    Martin.

2. sergeant121

sergeant121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two of these remotes and, IMHO, with the exception of their rather 'clunky' size, they are wonderful!

I have mine programmed for a Sky Digibox (code 0847), a Toshiba TV, an LG (Videoplus) VCR, an Akai VCR, an LG DVD and an Amstrad mini music centre (I'm not a music connoisseur).

For the VideoPlus+ function, I used the URC7562's learning capability to programme one of the 8 spare buttons under the bottom flap from the VCR's original remote.

I have also used Key Magic to move key functionality around (e.g. the code I had to use for the Amstrad has the mute and standby buttons transposed. It took less than 10 seconds to swop them around).

3. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the OFA6 and I have mixed feelings about it :
    This was meant to replace the remotes for my TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver and NTL digibox.

Out of the box the OFA6 provided support for SOME of the functions of all 5 of my existing remotes. To improve the situation I took advantage of the learning capability of the OFA6, simply point the old remote at the OFA6 to teach it the missing buttons. Unfortunately the OFA6 only supports about 25 taught buttons then it runs out of memory. When you have patchy built in support for all 5 remotes as I did, then this gives you.. only 5 extra buttons per device. ie not many !

So now I have the OFA6 that has just enough basic functions (pre-programmed and taught) to do simple tasks. Anything like setting the VCR to timer-record needs the original VCR remote.

On the positive side, the OFA6 seems to have reasonable support. I emailed the company to tell them that I could enter teletext, but that the button to exit teletext didn't work (had to switch TV on and off !). Two days later they sent me a 'magic' code that fixed this bug. Plus the OFA6 can be upgraded by internet downloads.

So the conclusion is that if the OFA6 fully supports your kit then it's a very good buy. If it doesn't then it may run out of memory as you teach it the missing buttons. The more expensive Kameleon remote has more memory for learning (I think !)

regards,

Martin

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Kameleon and didn't like the inflexibility of it. It had the disadvantages of a LCD remote (you have to look at it to operate it) with the disadvantages of a hard button remote (no flexibility over button placement/which buttons appear etc).

I took it back for a OFA6 and am delighted with it.

The best thing about the OFA6 is the little interface on the back of it in the battery compartment - this allows you to connect it to your PC, and mess with the configuration as much as you like. You can make much better use of its limited memory capabilities by programming it via your PC rather than via the keypad.

Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/ - the PC interface is easy to make with a cut-down IDE ribbon cable, a parallel port socket, 2 resistors and a diode - buy all that from Maplins. I managed to make my interface without even doing any soldering, just electrical taping all the bits together.

The software is a bit techie but read the guides and see how you get on.

Mike

5. marcjj

marcjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm well chuffed with mine. I'm on my second one though as my kids decided to play basketball with the first one (Mind you, it was the black one, and silver is some much cooler). Does everything i want, program CD,VCR, play PS2 DVD functions, even does things the original remotes couldn't do, ie, large teletext and remote control for sony seperates tuner, and the macro function and sleep timer function - excellent for £30ish.

6. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any difference between the black URC5760 and URC5762 silver OFA6 (apart from colour, obviously) ?

7. marcjj

marcjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the only differences are the colour and the sleep function on the silver one.