1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for all Kameleon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by russellfenwick, Dec 27, 2002.

1. russellfenwick

russellfenwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one of these just before Xmas after reading the earlier post about them. I previously owned a Pronto and then a ProntoNEO, while both are excellent remotes they both had flaws that in the end just made them not quite right for me.

The Pronto was a fantastic remote but the lack of hard buttons for stuff like a keypad was a killer for me, the ProntoNEO had these but was let down by shoddy firmware/software and would not learn half the remotes the Pronto did. The Kamelon is also a little faster at switching between devices so its not so much of a hassle going from one to the other to change inputs on your amp for example.

I checked out the One for all site and then bought a Kameleon, first impressions are that it looks the business, especially in the dark, it does hum but unless the room is quiet I can't hear it.

It operated all my stuff - Panasonic TV, Daewoo VCR, Pioneer DVD, Sony amp, X10 and Sky+ straight away, I only needed to contact the helpline once to get an extra code for the amp to switch inputs.

The tactile display is not perfect, hitting a key slightly offcenter gives a sticky feeling underneath but that may just be my Kameleon, its a not a big deal anyway.

If there were any improvements I would like to see it would be to make the displays a bit more flexible so that keys could be added or consolidated onto one display so that scrolling was not needed.

Overall, for anyone looking for a universal remote to control all there stuff you can do a lot worse than take a look the Kameleon, the boxes open up so you can even play with it before you buy.

2. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ive just got one of these. I can't get it to change between tv/sat and dvd/cd functions on my amp. Is that what you had to get the extra codes for?? It works everthing else ok. My amp is the sony strdb780.

3. russellfenwick

russellfenwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have a DB925 amp and using the 0158 device code I could not switch to the TV input, I called the helpline number and someone talked me through entering a setup code to assign that function to one of the other buttons. You do it like this -

Press Amp device button
    Hold Magic until it flashes twice/rabbit pops out
    enter 994
    Press Magic once
    enter 384 (this is the code for the TV input)
    Press the key to assign it to (e.g. number 3), wait for double flash

These links might be of help

http://www.starbase314.com/RemoteCodes.htm
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml

Let me know how you get on.

--
    Russell

4. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Mmm weird, just retried setting the 'spare' buttons on the control to change functions on the amp and it worked. Not quite sure why it did this time and not last time but anyway. All sorted. :D