1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for all Kameleon or Pronto RU940?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Supernosh, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any views of these 2 remotes? Which is better and why?

The Kameleon is quite a bit cheaper but I guess the Pronto will do way more.

All I really need it for is to control my 6 bits of AV kit and they are all fairly standard.

Thanks for the advice!!

2. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I was in exactly the same position as you about a month ago. I thought the Kameleon looks good and for the fraction of the price.
    I actually bought the Kameleon and took it back 2 days later regretting that I did. Reason I say this is because:-

1. Once out the box the Kameleon to me looked like a childs toy from Fisher Price.

2. It makes a really annoying humming noise when lights are illuminated (Which is normal according to their website).

3. And most of all if you put the Kameleon on the armrest of your sofa and then move slightly it triggers off the lights or if you put it on to the table and then the dog or something bumps into it, that will trigger off the lights. This is because it has a motion sensitive switch inside.

I now have a RU940 and I will not look back. It is better because you can add any button to any control panel for your systems and also move buttons around. Plus you can download panels (CCFs) and cutomize it so it looks spot on.

Hope this helps!!

P.S. Sorry Kameleon owners!!

:lesson: :smashin:

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No thats superb m8, exactly what I wanted. Advice from someone who has actually used them both!

Is that the general opinion?

Also with the pronto can you configure each remote (on the screen) to look like the actual remote it represents i.e. button layout etc?

4. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Kameleon and took it back for a OFA6 (hard button) remote, for the following reasons:

a) all the disadvantages of a LCD remote (you have to look at it to use it, because you can't operate it blind) with all the disadvantages of a hard button remote (no control over placement of buttons and which buttons are visible)
    b) humming when lit up
    c) you fart and it lights up - very annoying

I swapped it for the OFA6 at half the price.

mike

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Take your pick, if you go to the Remote Central website you can download practicaly any control panel you want. If you choose a remote panel you like, say for example your amplifier control and you dont think it is quite right then you can move things around until you are happy. Go to this link and have a look at a few examples http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=pronto&db=systems&br=blackwhite&fc=

Hope this answers the question! :confused: :smashin:

7. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take your pick, if you go to the Remote Central website you can download practicaly any control panel you want. If you choose a remote panel you like, say for example your amplifier control and you dont think it is quite right then you can move things around until you are happy. Go to this link and have a look at a few examples http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=pronto&db=systems&br=blackwhite&fc=

Hope this answers the question! :confused: :smashin: [/B][/QUOTE]

It does and thanks!!

The only thing is I have now gone from a £60 remote to a £15o remote:mad: :mad:

Why does this always happen to me?? Take my initial budget, double it and add a bit!!!!!!

8. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I thought that, how can I justify the price difference from £60 to £150.
    I bought mine from the forum for £110 inc P&P and is as new. Apparently if you have the voucher you can get it for £99 at Richer Sounds.

:zonked:

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasnt that in one of the mags last month? I think I bought them all last minth so I will have to have a look through!!

£99 is definately easier to justify than £150!!

Can I ask what your your thoughts are?

Do you use the macro stuff?

10. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Every button, device, directaccess key or action button can perform a single action or be a macro and perform a series of commands.
    I have created a few Macros. Here is an example of one.
    Normally to watch Sky I have to push the scart button on TV control and then push video 2 on amp control and then use Sky control to turn it on. I have created a "watch TV button" which turns on Sky, swithes to the correct scart on TV and switches over to correct setting on amp. One of the others is the straight forward turn everything on and off.

Hope this doesn't send you to sleep!!
    :lesson: :boring:

11. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done all that with a £10 OFA remote, using JP1 !!!

12. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TeleWest Pace box, as well as the kit below. My pace remote has gone crazy and hence I am failing the WAF test big time.

So, should I plump for the Kameleon 6in1 OFA-URC 8060, despite all that's been said? Is the hum/instability really so awful?

Mortod, Would this new Kameleon work the Pace box?

Do any of the other 'better' options work the Pace box?

Is there any better/cheaper price than the AVUKLTD.com price of £70?

ta

ditton

13. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure about pace capability but I believe the Kam will operate.

IMHO the Kameleon is a brilliant device the hum is virtually unnoticeable(i am used to it so i do not notice at all) i've had mine since Jan 03 and I think its the best 70 quid I ever spent on home entertainment. It controls everything and every function i require including surround sound features,picture in picture,full Sky and VHS and my seperate stereo system .....it really is an all in one

Buy one you won't be dissapointed:smashin:

14. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the difference between the 940 and 950 (other than the price ;)

15. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
  16. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I got my pronto from RS for £99 about half a year ago.

At first they tried to charge me £149, but after i nipped to the nearest newsagents and bought the current WHF with an advert in it that said they were doing it for £99, they finally gave in.

So have a flick thru the mags at WHsmiths and see if u can find an RS ad with it for £99 and take it along with u.

Hope this helps;)

Steve

17. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Pronto 940 and I recommend it. It controls my NTL cable box just fine.

I bought it from www.letsautomate.com and their customer service was really good. If you need to know if it will control some wierd piece of equipment then send them an email and they get back with an answer really quick. They have a chart of which digital cable boxes it can control.

They also have the RU950 which looks quite flash, has more hard buttons and more memory (my 940 is 96% free still!).

BTW I don't work for lets automate or have any link apart from being a customer!!