1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One-For-All KAMELEON - any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Jon12345, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking about getting a Panasonic Viera Plasma TV and on the Empire Direct site it shows a One-For-All KAMELEON remote control.

Is this worth getting or should I stick with the one that comes with the TV? Or is there a better one I should be looking at. It was only about £60!

Jon

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Get the Harmony H655 £99.95 from Dixons and light years better than the Kameleon (PRTBF!) :thumbsup:

3. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why do you think it is better?

I like the idea that it turns itself on when you pick it up and then fades when not in use.

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Things that I did not like about the Kameleon (others may disagree)

1. The auto turn on was incredibly sensitive, often a sneeze was enough.
    2. The unit buzzes when on.
    3. The unit uses batteries very quickly.
    4. Even though only the keys that are used for the particular device come on, the unit can only display the keys that are printed on the surface. This meant they could be difficult to match to the actual device. You were left with some unused keys appearing and other needed keys not appearing. It is possible to map functions to unused keys, but this means remembering their actual function when you come to use the device.

Things that I like about the Harmony.

1. All buttons, hard or soft are fully mappable with any function.
    2. Learns all the commands of the original remote.
    3. Any functions not represented as hard buttons can be displayed as soft buttons on the lcd screen.
    4. While each device can be controlled independently as a device, the trump card of the remote is that it has activity buttons, e.g. watch tv or watch dvd. When one of these is pressed, it turns everything needed on, everything that is not needed off and changes any settings e.g. tv input to the correct one. All activities are again fully customisable.
    5. It has a built in tv guide (I have not tried to use it)
    6. Battery life is far superior.
    7. It doesn't buzz.

Those are my views. :)