1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for all Kameleon 6 (new type)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by svenricardo, Feb 17, 2005.

1. svenricardo

svenricardo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this is of any use to anyone (everyone else has probably already worked it out), but I managed to get the new One for all Kameleon 6 yesterday for £54.95. I went into Richer Sounds with a printout of the price from AV UK at http://www.avukltd.com/kameleons/kameleon_6.php which showed they sold it for £59.95 including postage. Then because they beat prices Richer Sounds reduced it from £69.99 to £54.95.

2. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered one (buy it now) on ebay for 55.94 including p&p so thats a real bargain, waiting for the thing to arrive today. Is it any good?

3. ranar

ranar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had one of these for a couple of months now - and it is fantastic. I don't like the build quality too much though - seems too plasticy, also the chrome effect takes on too many fingerprints - so find have to buff it all the time. But for use - it is tops. Control my SKY+, TV, DVD recorder, Amp and will be configuring to control XBOX as well.... Had to call their helpline a couple of times initially (who are excellent) and they downloaded the codes for my DVD recorder (Sony GX700) over the phone using the built in modem. I have the control pretty much set up as I want it now. Pretty much make any button do anything you want from another remote....

4. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    ranar, how do you find the touch-screen for ease of use? Is it something one gets used to very quickly? Or do you miss hard buttons?
    And does it do EVERYTHING that you other controls could? I mean, do you ever have to get one of your original remotes out for any reason?

5. svenricardo

svenricardo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still getting used to mine, but I find it brilliant so far. I agree about the chrome finish, but that's my only complaint. As regards the buttons (I hope you don't mind me answering) It's really good because every button actually gives a positive sort of click when you press it which makes it seem more normal than most touch-screens.

6. ranar

ranar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    agree - there is actually a click feeling when you press the luminescence pad - this can also be removed so that you only just need the faintest touch to operate the control. So far I have not needed to pull out the old remotes - OK occassionally when I realise I don't have a button that I need - but only pulled old one out to do a quick IR learn...

Not sure if it could totally replicate my amp remote - far too much funtionality on it, but I only ever need to change source, switch on or off and vol - that's the most complicated control I have otherwise...

7. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, just thought i'd let you all knwo that i just bought one of these brand new off ebay for £49.99 in p&p - great deal!

The ebay'ers name is devlino - could be worth a search if anyone's interested, he had a few for sale.

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I recently ordered one to replace my damaged angel remote controller, from ebay (goldcrest direct £55) and I love it - easy to programme, easy to use and a gorgeous piece of eye candy but I do have one issue - I've found that dust is beginning to gather behind the touchscreen - is anyone else having this problem?

9. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Do you mean behind the hard buttons? If so, yes I have the same problem. To clean it, I thread a slightly damp piece of cotton behing the buttons (be careful you don't put the needle through the touchpad) and then use the thread to dislodge all the dust. It really is a filthy bugger! It needs a good buffing almost everyday.

10. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Tried it out Green Bars, works a treat - good idea that!

11. Chris14

Chris14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

:hiya: First post for me just got myself a a one for all kameleon 6, it looks great the only thing is while the screen is lit up it makes very quite noise as if it is trying to talk the things is this normal or do I need to take it back and have it changed.

Cheers
    Chris

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    This is normal, if it drives you insane, take it back. :D

13. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got myself one of these and with my very first quick play, it's excellent!!

The push through volume control etc is a god send, I can keep the remote on Sky + mode but still use the volume controls for my dvd player without changing modes, genius :clap:

14. kentomkinson

kentomkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I bought the Kameleon 6 v2 from AV UK Ltd for £59.95, and when it arrived I was very disappointed. The case is plasticky and of poorer quality than any of my other remotes, even the supermarket VCR's. The case also shows fingerprints badly, and so does the glossy plastic "keypad"; some keys click and others don't, it's far too big, yet the legend on many of the keys is absurdly small. It gives no useful or reliable tactile feedback and in short is a pain to use. It completely fails to be easier to use than the remotes supplied with the various units.

I contacted AV-UK Ltd and they offered to refund the entire cost, saying that the 1st generation Kameleon had had various problems but that they had hoped that the 2nd generation would be better.

I returned the unit at my cost, but after a month I have not received a refund, nor can I contact AV-UK Ltd at all. I have rung literally hundreds of times but the phone, suspiciously, is either engaged or unanswered - ever.

I think this is a useless gadget :mad: , and I don't know what to think about AV-UK Ltd. :confused:

15. barabis

barabis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I found this on ebay, £35 for ONE FOR ALL URC9960 URC-9960 Kameleon Remote Control NB. Is this better than the new 6 - 1? If it is it seems like a very good deal.

16. kentomkinson

kentomkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly looks better than mine, though I doubt it could be much worse. Is it a copy though? I looked on oneforall's website and it's not there. Cheap price though.

17. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's a US remote. It may not have the correct codes for your devices and getting support to add new codes may prove to be difficult, if not impossible. It's a good price but you may have an easier time if you go for the UK Kameleon 6.

18. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an American one, not for official sale in the UK. Therefore, you may experience problems with set up and support

19. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, does everyone else's Kameleon rattle when you shake it? - It sounds like the keys are moving slightly. It's not a major problem as I don't shake it much but just wondered if mine was slightly faulty

20. kentomkinson

kentomkinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, mine rattled too. And it creaked when squeezed. Just two more reasons why I sent it back, but therefore I never found out if its rattles and creaks were symptoms of being faulty, or symptons of being cheaply made.

21. nibb

nibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have had the URC9960 from the USA via EBay for about 8 months now and it is excellent.

As you say it is a USA remote and finding codes can be difficult but not if you purchase a JP1 cable and use these websites.

_http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

_http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/index.php

Afetr purchasing the cable and a little bit of reading I was able to program my remote using the setups posted in the Yahoo forums no problem! :clap:

It controls my Panny Plasma, Hitachi VHS video; Sky+; LG Amp; Humax Digital Sat receiver; Panny DVD recorder; Akai cheapo DVD player and my Quintro scart switcher!! :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup:

That maybe the ball bearing motion sensor inside the remote that switches the backlight on when the unit is moved.

If its anything like my 9960 it will light up at the slightest movement, and thus significantly reduce battery life. :thumbsdow

If it annoys you you can open it up and remove it, and using the JP1 cable then adapt the remote to be activated only when a button is pressed, thus prolonging battery life significantly!! :clap: I did!! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Neil