1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One For All 10 Kameleon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by phelings, Sep 13, 2005.

1. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought this very clever remote.
    Unlike the dreadful OFA Mosaic that needed much use of Key Magic,the unit has arrived pretty much 99% perfect.Device codes seem to work with all functions,except for about half a dozen across my 8 devices,but the learning is very simple.
    I recently bought(and returned) the harmony remote from Logitech.Compared to the OFA10,the Harmony was complicated to setup,and it refused point blank to operate a Manhattan satellite receiver.
    However,the OFA has no mention of Freeview PVR's in its code list or on its website.I logged on expecting to be able to download the relevant stuff,but despite applying for a member number that was supposed to take just a few minutes to arrive,still nothing.So I am unhappy with OFA about this.
    Anyone out there with a PVR working on this remote?
    Sky+ works fine as do dvd players and dvd recorders and amp and even the Manhattan satellite,but my Fusion PVR is sitting there waiting for action.How long will I have to wait?

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Phone OFA Customer Services Helpline on 0808 1000 306. It's free and they are very good at sorting out the right code for you. I think they are open to about 8:00pm.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.
    The CS number in the manual is a premium rate number.I hope the freephone one is still working.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But later it came on again.
    However,in the last 24 hours my opinion of this remote is that it is just as poor as their Mosaic.
    This is a 10 device remote,so its obviously not aimed at the common or garden dvd buyer.
    But while this remote was clever enough to start operating most functions on 7 devices I have to say that the end result is poor.
    The freefone number is not in the manual-bad start.
    But once I got through the operator was knowledgeable and helpful.A phone download gave me the codes for tmy Fusion PVR.
    But on my Pioneer dvd player,4 operations were missing.No problem with "key magic"But on my Pioneer 420 dvd recorder it was hopeless.Despite lots of code offerings there were over a dozen important buttons missing.
    While it was possible to download the codes over the phone or by codes with "key magic",the operations can only be assigned to certain keys,which is all well and good,but none of the keys can be renamed.Meaning that over a dozen buttons would be assigned to keys without correct names on.For instance,they say that you can use the numer 1-9 keys for "key magic",but that would mean that "navimark","chapter mark","display","one touch record" and many other buttons would be on the 1-9 keys.Now if you have a good memory thats ok,but I don't feel thats a good enough option for a £100 remote.
    Now I have the hassle of trying to obtain a refund from Lektropacks-and doubtless my £10 postage paid is lost anyway.
    So,once again OFA have let me down,as did the Logitech harmony and OFA Mosaic(now only £40 from Richer Sounds).
    I will have to carry on with my aging Marantz RC 2000 MK2.
    I have tried every touchscreen and quality remote on the market and none match the Marantz,but I want a new one as the keys are fading.
    But I would definitely say that if you have anything other than a very ordinary set up,I would avoid anything from OFA.

6. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I too used to use a OFA Kameleon remote (6 in 1) but felt the need to replace it after I bought a new AV receivcer. Ignoring the advice of all the people who were recommending Harmony remotes, I decided to go for a URC-200 Automator, a review of which can be found here. I've been really happy with it and even my wife likes it - she never wanted to use the Kameleon.

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just to add to the debate, Phelings, I phoned up and added a Thomson PVR to my K6, it was added as SAT and VCR, they even gave me the other devices codes (at premium rate!). It's OK but as it is in the conservatory it is hard to see in sunlight.

We have 2 Marantz5000i which we used in the lounge, never made them look like they should, couldn't sort out the cff programs.

Just recently bought the Harmony 885 and it controls the lounge stuff well, a few probs but way better than the rest, it controls on my set up...

Plasma PW6
    Sky
    Humax 8000
    Pioneer DVD
    Panasonic HS2
    Denon 3802