Question One door or two?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
When building your cinema room in your house, and making a fair chunk of effort to provide sound proof the room (to reduce sounds both entering and leaving the room), is it best to have 1 really heavy door (eg, a fire door with a sheet of MDF greenglued and screwed on), or have 2 separate fire doors (opening in opposite directions)?

AmericanRodeo

To be honest, we've done both on builds and I would say it depends on the scale of the build.

Our double door one was a major £100k 8 person room full of JBL synth kit including 4 x 18" subs! Its a hoot and with both doors shut very little leaks out.

Others have been £30/40k rooms and with lesser amplification, speakers and subs. Nothing much leaked out because the single door was snug and sound deadened on the inside.

Which ever you decide, get the door fitting snug, with a definitive pull to cluck onto its latch.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
To be honest, we've done both on builds and I would say it depends on the scale of the build.

Our double door one was a major £100k 8 person room full of JBL synth kit including 4 x 18" subs! Its a hoot and with both doors shut very little leaks out.

Others have been £30/40k rooms and with lesser amplification, speakers and subs. Nothing much leaked out because the single door was snug and sound deadened on the inside.
Thank you :) Well my room and budget is a lot smaller, but there may still be 4 quite large subs in there :) I'm building a room within the room in an effort to soundproof. If going for 1 door, is it better to put it on the inner skin (and therefore opening into the room) or on the outer, original skin?

Which ever you decide, get the door fitting snug, with a definitive pull to cluck onto its latch.
Will do, thanks.

Harkon321

Two doors are better as you get isolation and an air gap - with a single door you don't. You build it so they open opposite ways and close on to each other, with a small gap inbetween. (Like a studio).

If you've not seen it I've recommend Rod Gervais's book on studio building.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Two doors are better as you get isolation and an air gap - with a single door you don't.
Well two doors are obviously capable of giving better sound insulation. I guess my question is really how much better it is/whether it's worth it. That will depend on how far you've gone with everything else, and AmericanAudio suggests that a single door is suitable for most builds.

If you've not seen it I've recommend Rod Gervais's book on studio building.
I've not read it, but I've read many threads which have used his book as their inspiration, so I feel like I have read it :)

Harkon321

Well two doors are obviously capable of giving better sound insulation. I guess my question is really how much better it is/whether it's worth it. That will depend on how far you've gone with everything else, and AmericanAudio suggests that a single door is suitable for most builds.

I've not read it, but I've read many threads which have used his book as their inspiration, so I feel like I have read it :)

Initially the question was, which is best. The answer to that is straight forward, the two doors will easily outperform a single door as they have a decoupled air gap. Even some of the most expensive and complex builds on here say that the weakest point is the door.

How much, that's hard to quantify, so many variables - I don't know if anyone has ever run the numbers.

Can't you install a single heavy fire door, increase mass, add Greenglue if needed. Then if it's not enough, then do the communicating door.

I'm going for one heavy door with seals and hope it'll be enough. Only other option I've seen is fixing two doors together to create one really thick, heavy door.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Initially the question was, which is best. The answer to that is straight forward, the two doors will easily outperform a single door as they have a decoupled air gap. Even some of the most expensive and complex builds on here say that the weakest point is the door.
Yes I agree.

Can't you install a single heavy fire door, increase mass, add Greenglue if needed. Then if it's not enough, then do the communicating door.
I was angle grinding the opening today - that is a lot of dust. I was thinking of starting with the door on the inside of the room, and later adding one on the outside if needed. One minor issue is that I'd put a cheaper door on the inside if I was having two, but that's no bid deal. If having two, I presume you put the hinges on the same side as each other (obviously with the doors opening away from each other).

I'm going for one heavy door with seals and hope it'll be enough.
Where are you getting you seals from?
Only other option I've seen is fixing two doors together to create one really thick, heavy door.
Is that any better than adding a sheet of mdf?

Harkon321

If having two, I presume you put the hinges on the same side as each other (obviously with the doors opening away from each other).

You can do either. If you've got enough gap between then you can go same way, or you can have then hinged opposite, so the handles don't clash.

Where are you getting you seals from?

Not a clue, so if you get some let me know. We are only at the laying brick and block stage, so just decided on opening size and told them I want a Fire Door at the moment.

Is that any better than adding a sheet of mdf?
It's just more mass I guess, similar idea. Again, the amount of people who have done this is very small so hard to get data. I've seen some crazy homemade doors on AVS.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Not a clue, so if you get some let me know. We are only at the laying brick and block stage, so just decided on opening size and told them I want a Fire Door at the moment.
I've just checked out your thread. Wow it's moving fast. I think I recongnise the sketchup drawings of your kitchen. I think you posted something similar a year or so ago, maybe before you had planning?

Interesting to read kbarnes's opinion that it wasn't worth you adding the sound isolation (due to cost and space loss). I assume he'd say similar about my plans, and I have wondered whether it's worth the extra hassle and cost, but I'm going ahead with it (I've already got the timber).

I note you got some green glue on the cheap. Could you recommend how I try and do the same?

Harkon321

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom