1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One dead pixel Aaaaaargh

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TB, Aug 15, 2002.

1. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought my PT-AE100 yesterday, only to get it home to find it has one blue dead pixel.

To me it is very obvious.

What can I do? After reading these boards for months I guess a refund or exchange is unlikely?

Does anyone else live with a dead pixel and have they learnt to ignore it?

There's always something that takes the edge off!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whereabouts is the pixel?

My first Panasonic had one stuck blue pixel in the upper right hand corner. As I'd bought from a supplier with a dead-pixel-policy I got it exchanged. The new model had one stuck blue pixel and one dead pixel too. It also suffered from the colour tinting problem seen elsewhere on this forum.

The unit was returned to Panasonic over three weeks ago. The whole optical assembly is being replaced and I should have it back next week. If you can put up with the dead pixel then try to do so. There is apparently a way to make it less noticeable by marking the area on the screen that the pixel hits yellow.

I'm fully expecting my unit to come back with dead or stuck pixels...it just seems to be the norm for this model.

3. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes sorry I guess it's a stuck blue pixel.

On a 72" (width not diag) screen it's about 20" in from the right and 15" up from the bottom.

Just find my eye drawn to it all the time, particularly in dark scenes, where it is very obvious. This is why I was asking whether people get used to it. Sounds like you have.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that once I'd seen a stuck pixel, I kept looking at it instead of focusing on the entire screen. After a while you do tend to notice it less. However, there are a few things you can try and do to lessen the problem.

Firstly, the further back you sit the less obvious the pixel should be.

Secondly, if you defocus the image slightly the pixel might blend in with its surroundings and be less noticeable.

Finally, you could try putting a yellow mark on the screen where the pixel appears (I haven't tried this myself but I've seen it mentioned both here and on the AVS forums).

Having been without my projector for three weeks I wish I'd kept the original one that I had as it seemed to have less problems.

5. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a stuck blue pixel on my Panny as well, at first it was really noticable, as others have said but i am starting to notice it less. With the location of the stuck pixel on mine, using the position menu (selecting the vertical adjustment) I can move the image of a 2.35:1 film away from the pixel and this helps alot

6. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips. Will the Vert adjustment a go for sure.

Think I'll try and live with it for now.

As for colouring the screen (I'll give it a try when I get one).

I moving in a couple of months and have bought the pj so that I can intergrate it into the new lounge. Will buy a proper pulldown screen then.

Feel slightly better now I know others can live with it. :)

7. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i also have ptae with i stuck blue pixel in the middle of the screen
    i tried the yellow sticker on the screen and its a big improvement.

Make sure you focus the pj properly and place the yellow sticker cut to the size of the pixel square. Once you start watching a movie you hardly notice it, it will still be evident in realy dark scenes and when its a realy bright scene you may notice the yellow sticker. Its not perfect but it is a good compromise i am using this method just now untill i get my 2nd replacement, the annoying thing is that my first pany had no dead pixels but developed a green blob which even cleaning by panasonic couldnt remove so i waited 2 mths for a replacement and when my new july model arrived it had a blue dead pixel:(

8. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is the main thing that puts me off buying the panny or any other lcd projector, the dead pixel lottery.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have one stuck green pixel, its very small, right in the corner of the pixel, I don't really notice it now, I haven't seen it for a couple of months.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you notice it enough to remember its there.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I am not sure if it is a stuck pixel, its that small, right in the corner, it took me a good 5 minutes to find it tonight.
    maybe its dust.
    I believe your a CRT guy, Correct? ;) :) something us LCD Guys can only dream of :)

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theoretically the unit probably falls "within specification", so Panasonic won't do a thing about it.

You're only chance of an exchange is from the retailer. But in my experience, the more noise you make, the better are your chances.

My first unit had an open blue pixel, near enough the side, but still damn irritating.

It had several other problems (luckily :p ) so I finally got a new unit.

This has exactly the same as Tim's has (without seeing his obviously). It's only the corner of 1 pixel, (less than 25% of a full pixel) that is a bright green.

It bugged me at first, but as Tim said, I don't notice it now unless I look for it, & even then, it's mostly hard to see.

But for me, an open blue pixel would be intolerable. Dead pixels are far less of a problem, & 1 or 2 would be fine (but not desirable).

I'd say try to get an exchange. When installed it might bug the hell out of you (it definately did me), & better get it sorted now while it's brand new, rather than 2 or 3 months time, when your chances will be slimer.

BTW, welcome to the club. Looks like that list needs updating Tim ;)

13. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixel terms ....

dead pixels, dropped pixels, open pixels, stuck pixels

Whats the difference between them or do they all mean the same thing?

I have several dots on my projected image (green and blue hardly noticable, red are very noticable and irritating)

Cheers,

Pip

14. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

Think I'll give it till Monday and then see how much it bugs me.

Watched a lot of LOTR last night (along with about 20 other discs!!), and found it very obvious throughout.

But what if I take it back and end up with one with two or even three stuck pixels!?

These things are never simple are they.

As a mate said in work......"if you'd spent £1300 on a TV and it had a permanent mark on the screen it'd be straight back to the shop".....guess I just need to be grown up. Waited 6 months for one of these can wait a few more weeks if required.

15. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ranting here, but surely we should not accept it at all. If we all took back the faulty goods I reckon the product will improve. Some will say the price will go up but I dont think so.

The manufacturers will claim that it is hard to produce them but it is probably waffle to keep prices high, after all, look at what you get when you buy a large screen tv compared to a projector. You get a sound system, tv tuner, teletext decoder, dolby decoder (license to dolby ?), a massive lump of glass, loudspeakers and a lovely cabinet containg it all.

Still think projectors are value for money?

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    TB

Are you using your projector on a desk or do you have it ceiling mounted? The reason I ask is, if you have it mounted on a desk and the stuck pixel is above centre you may notice it more because it shows up on peoples faces, this tends to be what you focus on, on most scenes.
    But if you then ceiling mount it the stuck pixel will be below centre and it will also go to the other side of the screen and you may not notice it as much, this is what happened to me, the first film I watched was The Matrix, I noticed the stuck pixel immediatly, but after, when I ceiling mounted the projector I didn't seem to notice it anymore :)

Just thought you might be interested.

17. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some good news.

Decided I wasn't going to put up with it, and took it back yesterday lunchtime. I basically claimed utter ignorance of anything projector. "There are blue dots on the screen!" etc.. After a lot of fuss and noise they grudgingly replaced it

Was ****ting meself that the replacement would have 3 or 4 bad pixels but.....

Spent several hours watching it last night and no stuck pixels and no dead pixels. Very happy bunny.;)

18. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    nice one tb:D

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :eek: So someone does have them in stock then :)

Congrats :D