1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Colour Red

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigalroz, Feb 22, 2002.

1. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I've just bought a Red colour filter for use with my Sony Vpl-CX1 after seeing the great results other forum users have had with this type of filter. I bought a Cokin A003 Red filter (details at www.cokin.fr) but testing with this filter absolutely everything is red, no matter what settings I use on the PJ for colour, brightness etc.

The staff in Jessops assured me this was the same as a CC40 Red filter.

Can anyone help? Otherwise I'll be returning my filter.

Cheers

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I have'nt had the time to checkout the colour correcting filter idea, but don't give up. Maybe the filter is'nt ideal for this projector but do some testing first? :)

WARNING: NOTE DOWN ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS BEFORE FIDDLING!. HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE ON THE VPL-CX1 UNLESS YOU TELL IT TO SAVE CHANGES ON THE MENU FOR EACH OF THE SERVICE MENU & FACTORY MENU THEN WHEN THE PROJECTOR IS SWITCHED OFF IT WILL GO BACK TO ITS PREVIOUS SETTINGS AND NOT THE ONES YOU TYPED IN!.

To enter the service menu do the following

Service menu (ENTER,ENTER,UP,DOWN,ENTER then UP )

You will now find going into the menu another sub menu at the bottom where you can modify the default LOW / HIGH Colour Temperature settings. If you usually use HIGH then modify the LOW setting and then once you've finished view a DVD to see the difference between your LOW custom setting and your old HIGH setting.

If you move the cursor/highlight down past the B(lue) GAIN setting, the cursor goes back up to R(ed) and you're now at the BIAS settings for R/G/B.

I would stick to this menu first to get the colour balance right, dont worry about contrast/brightness of the image that can be fixed in the factory menu (if altering the standard contrast/brightness menu option doesnt help).

To enter the factory menu do the following

Factory Menu (ENTER, ENTER, LEFT, ENTER then UP

This will give you another menu to play with at the bottom. Some of the factory settings cannot be changed, I think the 3rd submenu can be changed and here you will find settings for overall contrast/brightness (didnt realise how bright you can make this baby go!), plus also individual contrast settings for R/G/B colours.

A filter should create really good blacks, the coloured tint is compensated by raising the GAIN on the opposing colours (i.e. blue and green). This hopefully will restore the brightness and colour balance on parts of the image which are not black (i.e white should become white and not pinkish!. If this works then we should get better contrast, minute decrease in brightness but most importantly greater blacks!.

If you still find after increasing the blue/green GAIN their is still a red/pink tint to the picture (i.e white is still red'ish) then the filter is too strong and perhaps CC 20 is better (instead of your CC 30? filter). However from memory the default settings for gain are very low (0 to 255 and I think they are about 65 for R/G/B?), so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

If after compensating the other colours then we can assume the VPL-CX1 light bulb output is quite even and therefore we should look into a Neutral Density filter (grey).

Let me know how you get on :)

HTH
    James

3. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you need a SMART as well.

I can't imagine doing setups with CCR filter without some sort of measureing euipment.

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I'll need to try a weaker red filter. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm not even sure if jessops do red filters other than the one I bought, but I'll hunt around.

Cheers,

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wonder if any of these would be good?, btw make sure its a colour correcting filter like the one below and not just a red filter!. Its a pity manufacturers dont stick to 20CC and 30CC and 10CC instead of having various model numbers!. Ahh after reading some links I believe Hoya HMC FL-D is the best filter (though make sure its 10CC / 20CC ?)

hoya are meant to be good I think

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...&SHOWCASEID=&STARTROW=41&SUBS=&WORD_SEARCH=N&

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...WCASEID=&STARTROW=1&SUBS=52972&WORD_SEARCH=N&

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...WCASEID=&STARTROW=1&SUBS=52972&WORD_SEARCH=N&

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...CASEID=&STARTROW=11&SUBS=52972&WORD_SEARCH=N&

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...CASEID=&STARTROW=11&SUBS=52972&WORD_SEARCH=N&

etc..seem like jessops sell alot of various cc filters

and the ndf.. (though I hear the red filters do the trick the best?)

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewp...&SHOWCASEID=&STARTROW=21&SUBS=&WORD_SEARCH=N&

wish I knew a mate who worked at Jessops!

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this thread over at the big picture website Formatt filters. Some one recommended this site before but I could never get it to work until today. I'll give them a ring next week. filters

Cheers

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bigalroz any luck with the filter?, I can't see to source the filter here in the uk !

James

11. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,

I've decided to attempt to build the SMART filter and calbrate my PJ using it. Apparently it can recommend a CC filter to use based on readings taken during calibration. So I think I'll hang off and find out what strength of filter SMART recommends.

Did you try Formatt?

Cheers.

12. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah good idea, the only way of getting the HOYA is by importing. The UK does'nt stock it because the HMC FL-D is for the USA market only.

Therefore it's best to work out with all the various factors involved like grey screen/room etc what filter you need. I`ll have a read of SMART later on to see whats involved.

Let us know how you get on, I think my next upgrade is the audio...should keep me busy.

James

p.s this projector is still going for £2000+ on the web! :) www.pricewatch.co.uk is quite a good search engine...