1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One box vs two

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kingcobbler, Jul 16, 2005.

1. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Looking at my system I think the weak link is currently my Yamaha DSP-A2 amp. Its been a great servant for several years but upgrade-itus has hit again !!!

Probably looking to buy ex-demo or 2nd hand and looking to spend £1000 - £1250 tops.

I am after a real step up in sound quality, else I'll keep the yammy and spend about two thirds movies / one third music.

After some recommendations regarding whether a one or two box solution as I think the Yammy is not the greatest with music.

What to people reckon..... Denon AVC-1SR(A) or Rotel 1068/1075....or something else.
    I'm gonna post this in the pre/power section aswell to see what different people think. Help me !!!

2. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold off on the receiver/pre-pro for now - next year's receivers will feature lossless Dolby/DTS. If you think the Yamaha needs help though, spend the money short-term on a good power amp... it's an investment you'll be able to enjoy for years without worrying about obsolesence.

I was facing exactly the same question lately, and that was the route I chose - I kept my existing HK receiver and added a NAD T-973 power amp, and it's made a big difference.

When it comes time to address the processing side, consider getting a normal integrated amp rather than a dedicated pre/pro. To be honest, unless you're a real audiophile, the incremental quality of a dedicated pre/pro isn't worth the additional cost over some of the better integrated amps, and in some cases, their features lag well behind. Also, if the power amp you go with has only five channels, you can still go to a 7.1 speaker setup by using the pre-outs for (usually) the front 3 and allowing your receiver to handle surround/rear duties. I don't need that feature as the T-973 has 7 inputs, but 7-input power amps (at least affordable ones) are relatively thin on the ground.

The T-973 would pretty much chew up all of your budget, but that's only TODAY'S budget, isn't it? ;-). I would love to hear it in combo with one of the Rotel Pre/Pros, I think that would be a lovely combo for both music and movies... and once the 2006 processors arrive, it's going to be my first addition. You mention the Rotel 1075 power amp... I listened to that as well before deciding on the NAD, but have to say I thought it was a very nice unit. It's obviously a bit less expensive too.