1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One box versus two boxes

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by akwatters, Jul 27, 2004.

1. akwatters

akwatters
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to hear from anybody who can provide any insight into the pros and cons between choosing a one box or two box solution for audio and video processing.

I've narrowed my one box solution down to either the Lexicon MC-8B or the Chord Electronics DSP8000R. Both of which offer quality, plenty of facilities and the simplicity of having everything integrated in one box.
    The other option, which I've only begun investigating, is one box for audio and one for video. I'm intrigued by the TacT RCS 2.2X pre-amp/room correction system as reviewed in the August edition of Hi-Fi News. And components such as the DVDO iScan seems to offer a great deal to improve picture quality.

I would appreciate any thoughts on making this decision.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Using the Iscan HD may make for a better idea as it has all dealys need to cope with lip sync issues etc and DVi output, then allowing you to use a lower specced (in DSP terms) but better quality for audio processor.
    review here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvdo_iscanHD.htm

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Or you could get an AV192R with all the current audio formats, one of the most advanced room correction systems and one of the most advanced video scalers available; over 2000 lines! all in one box :thumbsup:

4. akwatters

akwatters
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your replies. I've got a Chord DSP8000 here now which I'm evaluating. And I'm reading everything I can about all the different components that are available. Too many choices really! I'll report back on how I get on - one things for sure though, I'm going to be broke for a while :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    akwatters

For sure go with separate Audio and Video processors - its more flexible and not sure any one manufacturer has both technologies pegged in equal measure.

I have to say though I'm not so convinced that the iScanHD should be top of your shopping list - good as it is your paying for Digital Audio processing that you'll not be using, its not HD compatible on the Inputs and its non HDCP.

Look in the Home Theatre Processing Forum for more information on the alternatives.

Best regards

Joe