1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One box solution

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NinjaKi11a, Aug 9, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really getting fed up with having two amps and now want to buy an av amp with good stereo capabilities. How much would I have to spend on an av amp to do the Quad 11Ls and my CD600KI justice?

I've looked at the Arcam AVR300: is the stereo on this better or worse than a £350 amp? I'd go for it, but I'm really not convinced it's worth spending so much on the av side of things.

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger wrong forum (too many windows open). Could a mod shift this over please. :rolleyes:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Moved to here.

Reiner

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    AVR300 would be a very good option. You can also pick up AVR200s for £600 at the moment if you didn't want to spend £1300. The Harman Kardon receivers are pretty good at stereo reproduction too.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The stereo performance of the AVR300 is about on a par with their £600 A80 and so is very respectable. I just replaced my Pioneeer AX3 with an AVR300 recently and can definitely say it was well worth the money even though I don't use it for stereo. DVD-A performance is outstanding through the multi-channel inputs and DVDs have never sounded better. If you do go for one make sure the dealer upgrades it to software version 2.84 and the DSP version 1.12 as it sound even better with this.

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if this makes sense, but I am very concerned that I get components that are the same 'level' as the rest of my kit. It seems to me that I end up spending money with upgrades when there is weaker component that is letting the side down and needs improving, or a stronger one and I end up bringing everything else up to that standard. Can you understand that or does it sound very idiosyncratic?

With this in mind, would you say that the HK AVR630 would be a better match (in terms of quality) with my CD600KI and Quad 11Ls (both of which I intend to keep long term) than the Arc AVR300 - the latter possibly being 'too good' for what I already have? Or would the extra £300 get me a markedly better sound?

Thanks

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need to demo mate! search for AVR300 and you will a lot of posts comparing with similar units

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got one organised for a week on Saturday. I just like to hear as many informed opinions as I can. :)