One big sub or one big sub plus one small sub? Going from 2 MA subs to a BK sub.

guyb

Hey all,

I think this has been asked in many guises but I am after a little advise specific to my own setup.

I currently use two Monitor Audio r370HD subs - one at the front of the room and one at the back. The room is 3 meters (side to side) by 4.5 meter (front to back).

I have only 2 places in which the subs can go so no flexibility in placement. One sub is at the back on the room right next to the seating position to the right and the other sub is at the opposite end of the room to the left of the TV.

The subs are used in a 5.4 setup of MA Radius speakers. Not the last word in AV speakers but they seem to work OK for the room size and have - for want of being a cliche - wife appeal.

I used to have one sub - the one at the back of the room - but I added an additional one at the front as I felt it might help add more bass to the front and give better balance.

I am not happy with the r370HD subs for a few reasons though so have decided to replace them.

I was going to go with 2 BK Gemini II subs as direct replacements however I have just bought a bigger BK P12-300SB-DF.

So, I can either use just the BK P12-300SB-DF by itself at the back of the room or I could use the BK P12-300SB-DF at the back of the room with a BK Gemini II at the front (as there's no room at the front for the size of the BK P12-300SB-DF). I could even use one of the MA r370HD subs at the front until I get a BK Gemini.

Long story short - I have read that matching brand and size of subs is essential with multiple subs - so will having a smaller BK Gemini II sub at the front not make difference (i.e. not worth spending the money as it won't be heard) or worse still, actually cause a problem?

And if I were to use one of the MA r370HD subs at the front until I picked up a BK Gemini II would that make things even worse?

I actually did a quick test a moment ago turning off the front sub and I couldn't tell much difference if I was being really honest.

Thanks

Guy

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Moving from R370HD (10" 250w) to another 10" 150w is quite pointless, but i understand if it´s more about the looks. Even then i would rather get XLS200 as they are similar sized, but the XLS200 would be able to keep up better with P12.

Even better than XLS200 would be Double Gem at the front as it should have fairly similar performance to your P12-300SB model, that is coming from BK`s Tom Pearce. You should be able to fit Double Gem cause it`s so narrow. 283W x 460D x 550H (mm)

So this way you would have two similar performing subs. The Double Gem uses same amp as in your P12 also. :)

Owners and pictures here: BK Double Gem

guyb

Awesome thanks. Will try stretch to a Double Gem and look at a XLS200 if not.

In terms of current setup should I just ditch both R370HDs and use the P12-300SB by itself rather than trying to integrate one of the R370HDs with the P12-300SB?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Which av-receiver you have?

Definitely Double Gem over XLS200 as the price difference is something like 30£. Nothing in long term. You can also call to BK`s Tom, but fellow member said that Tom said Double Gem performs similar to P12-300SB and both being sealed using same amp i think that would be closest match then.

guyb

In terms of the Double Gem. It would need to sit sideways rather than front on. So the drive units would point along the wall the TV is on to the opposite wall rather than pointing towards the setting/listening position. Would that be OK?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
In terms of the Double Gem. It would need to sit sideways rather than front on. So the drive units would point along the wall the TV is on to the opposite wall rather than pointing towards the setting/listening position. Would that be OK?

It should be fine as long you leave some 10cm space to next object from drivers. We have members who has pointed the drivers to walls intentionally and example Arendal woofers has the driver at right side so in most cases owners don´t have it pointed toward listeners.

Before throwing those bucks you could download REW program (free). Open the program and right side up you see Room Simulation click on that and it opens, then add your room dimensions on the right side, move the head where you sit exactly in your room (it shows distance measured from rear and closest side wall) and choose two subwoofers (sealed and put 20hz -3db) and place them exactly like they would be in your room. You can click the sub right click and it turns the driver pointing different directions. This would give some idea what kind of response you get, what the 2nd sub really adds.

Also answer which av-receiver you have? Does it have individual sub eq for dual subs or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom