one ALMIGHTY dilemma

cinema stu

Standard Member
guys, I reckon I must have made about 99% of my total posts on this forum within the last month as I spent every waking hour scouring the threads, asking questions, reading reviews, comparing LCD with plasma, comparing 32" with 37" with 42" tvs, analysing recommendations on viewing distances, considering the impact of upscaling DVD players, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

while it's not totally doing my head in, I'm at a real impass and even some senior forum members have agreed that I am in a bit of a pickle.

You see, the time has come for the wife and I to purchase a new TV for our bedroom where we watch most of our stuff - we've got a 26" JVC crt in the living room which we find great but it's too fat for the bedroom SOOOOO, I've been trying to decide on the best LCD/plasma for viewing SD dvds from 8-feet!

Thing is,

- many say that a 42" (like the Panasonic TH42PX60) is probably too big for 8-feet viewing distance because I will probably notice artefacts with SD dvds.

(but perhaps a nice Oppo upscaling DVD might ensure the PQ is perfect??)

- many say that as soon as they bought a 32" LCD, they wish they had gone for a 37" or even 42" (of course most people have longer viewing distances than my 32").....

**** so I'm afriad of being disappinted by a 32" maybe feeling small even though its a decent jump up from our current 26" crt but on the flip side, it would be even worse to go for a 42" only to find I'm noticing artefacts when watching SD dvds (which is what is absolutely most important to us).

add to this is the fact that:

- a 37" plasma like the Panasonic TH37PX60 is only £100 cheaper than the 42" Panasonic TH42PX60.... a bargain at around £800.... if only the 37" was another £100 cheaper then the price difference would make sense.

-throwing a cat amongst the pigeons - I've just seen the best picture quality of any TV I've ever seen in my life - the Sharp LC-37XD1E - I know they're only screen shots but I challenge anyone to find me better screen shots than those - the Sharp honestly makes SD material look near-HD - incredible!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437300&page=3
- BUT, and it's a big but, I will have to blow the budget and fork out close to £1000 for the Sharp..... not sure if I can wait a month or 2 or 3 or 4 for the price to get closer to the sub-£800 mark.

So there you have it..... a supremely complicated and tough call to make and one I'd be eternally indebted to you guys for advice on!!

thanks in advance

CFCCFC

Novice Member
Go to a shop which has your fancied tvs on display, and take a DVD with you, and ask them to show it. Stand 8 foot away from the screen and see for yourself.

Not seen the Sharp, I've just bought a Toshiba WLT68 after a month or so of agonising and I love it. We view from between 8-10 feet and it's a perfect size and picture.

Go and look at them performing in the flesh. Screenshots mean nothing, to me.

madman1178

Novice Member
go for the 42" panasonic.

Anything smaller and you will be eternally wishing you would have gone for the 42"

The pic quality on 42" panny even with sd stuff is superb, and and upscalling dvd will make it even better.

Trust me, go 42", 8 foot away from a 42" is further than you think.....you will kick yourself if you go for anything else.

pave

Banned
Here's my pennies worth,i have bought all forms of tv...

1.There is always something better around the corner

2.What ever you buy,someone will say you should have got this model

3.Look before you buy

4.Always get the biggest you can afford,after a few weeks,you will say,umm,should have got the larger model

5,Buy within budget,if you like the sharp,get it!,might not have the money later...

6.Just be happy with your choice,refer to num 2.....:D

cinema stu

Standard Member
Go to a shop which has your fancied tvs on display, and take a DVD with you, and ask them to show it. Stand 8 foot away from the screen and see for yourself.

Not seen the Sharp, I've just bought a Toshiba WLT68 after a month or so of agonising and I love it. We view from between 8-10 feet and it's a perfect size and picture.

Go and look at them performing in the flesh. Screenshots mean nothing, to me.
absolutely... plan to do so tomorrow - the tape measure is already in my bag..... it really is the only way to decide....

--- not wanting to sound like an annoying git that can never make up his mind - a number of people on the forums have said you must be wary of the sources being fed into the TVs in shops.... was at Currys last week and their Panasonic 42PX60 plasma was using a basic DVD player (no HDMI connection) while all their LCDs were hooked up to a nice Toshiba (upscaling I think) HDMI dvd player.
--- that's why I've always considered the opinions of people on this forum above my own very basic expertise with TVs, or my ability to discern PQ in respect to things like banding, skin tones, ghosting etc etc.

RockySpieler

Out of box solution.........

Buy a 26" LCD, and mount on ceiling above pillows, viewing distance 6 feet....or a pair of 17" LCD's with wireless earphones.

With the money saved, your wife can buy more shoes to put in the new cupboards where TV was going to go..........:D

Good night!

CFCCFC

Novice Member
CinemaStu, yes, you need to ask them to use the same player on each of the tvs you are interested in, and you take your own film so that you can either check the black levels, or check how action is on it - whatever you watch more of.

If they can't be bothered to plug and unplug a player into a tv, then you have one decision already made, you don't want to buy ANYTHING there!!!

S

SquintingBadger

-throwing a cat amongst the pigeons - I've just seen the best picture quality of any TV I've ever seen in my life - the Sharp LC-37XD1E - I know they're only screen shots but I challenge anyone to find me better screen shots than those - the Sharp honestly makes SD material look near-HD - incredible!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437300&page=3
I don't know what that game is, but it does look very nice. The SD shots all look fairly typical for an HDTV - or at least going by my Tosh 68. They'd probably look better in the flesh as the colours would be brighter.

Farno

Novice Member
I don't know what that game is, but it does look very nice. The SD shots all look fairly typical for an HDTV - or at least going by my Tosh 68. They'd probably look better in the flesh as the colours would be brighter.

Gears of War on the xbox 360.

Looks even better on my Samsung LE40N73BDX:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom