OnDigital glitches when heating switches on.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by steved, Aug 2, 2001.

1. steved

steved

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone manage to find a fix for the picture and sound breakup ups that happens on OnDig decoders when there is an earth spike from anything electrically noisey turning on/off (like Heating System pump or Electrical shower). I have Pioneer STB. I have mate that has Nokia, which does the same thing... his even does it when his neighbours heating/shower/light go on and off in the flat next door.<br />Ta.

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't happen with my Nokia, does the coax cable go near the mains for a long way? If so it may be that rather than the box that is the problem.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,348
    I have the same trouble. I live in flats and share a common amplified ariel with about 30 other people. Anyone's heating/hot water seems to mess with the picture and sound. <br />The advice I've heard is to upgrade whatever ariel wiring you can with high quality shielded coax.

I tried a signal amplifier which improved matters a little but as I don't have access to the actual ariel then it also amplifies the noise when you get a really nasty spike.<br />If you have your own ariel then a low power amplifier mounted at the mast or in the loft should help. Beware of high gain or noisey signal amplifiers as they increase the signal strength but also increase the signal noise which can blitz the digital encoding. Some boxes are more susceptible than others and some will actually perform worse with a higher power signal.

If its just your heating that interfers next time you get your boiler serviced ask them about fitting a surpressor and get them to check it is earthed properly.

AMc