1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OnDigital box and Sky communal dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pamrleader, Dec 21, 2004.

1. pamrleader

pamrleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me. I live in a block of flats with a communal sky dish. I was told that if I want Sky I have to pay the owners of the dish £139 to connect to it, plus Sky's monthly charge. I have decided against this because its too expensive.

So, we got Freeview through an old Phillips OnDigital box. Now, I went through the process on the box to update the channels to find any new ones. It found all of the freeview channels but also found Sky One, Movies etc. When I select these channels, the screen goes black (obviously). Now, before I decided against Sky, I did go through the process of setting it up and so the dish owners arranged for Sky to send me a viewing card. This hasn't arrived yet, but when it does will I be able to view Sky's free channels through the OnDigital box when I insert the card? The only reason I ask is that I imagine that if the box has found the Sky channels, surely all they need is the viewing card to see them (just the free channels, not the subscribing ones).

Any help would be great. This whole situation makes we wish I lived in my own house so I could get all of the Sky installation free rather than paying extortionate contractors prices!

Pam

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Your very old Ondigital box is picking up the channel markers from the old subscription service, those SKY owned channels do not exist anymore via DTT except for SKYnews and SKYtravel which are both free on DTT anyway.

A SKY smartcard only works with a SKY digibox, totally useless for a DTT box.

3. pamrleader

pamrleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! :clap:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you go into the setup menu of the OnDigital box and select 'Getting Started' and then 'Store Channels' (instead of 'Add Channels') you will get rid of all the old channel markers and it will pick up all the current ones.
    As you have an old box with a slot for a viewing card you will also have the option of paying £8 a month for a few extra channels. More details can be found at www.topuptv.co.uk

Mark.

5. pamrleader

pamrleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

I also got TopUp TV set up last night!

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Mark ~ Do you work for Channel 5 ;)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well it couldn't be any worse than the company I do work for :devil: - could it?

Mark.