Onda V919 Air 3g (MEGA iPad AIR CLONE ! ) - Dual boots Android 4.4.4 and Win8.1. My first impression

pezley

Okay, so there are lots of Chinese iPad clones etc but this one stood out as something completely different. It's the same dimensions as an iPad Air, quad core CPU ( Bay Trail
) & 2gb ram, runs full fat Windows 8.1 and also dual boots with Android 4.4.4 KitKat. pretty much tick all the boxes. I decided to give it a try, for the cost it was worth the risk.
I won't go into detail about the OS's, we know all about those.

So lets start with the bad, there's a handful but not many.

• Whilst it's reeeeeealy close to a perfect iPad air clone in dimensions the button placement and USB port are about 1 - 2 mm out in places on some iPad cases. If the case has large cut outs you would be perfectly fine, if they are very precise then you may struggle. The case in the pics is a Tesco own brand TriFold iPad air case, as you can see it's pretty perfect over all
  • The firmware flash tools are rubbish. They are from a chinese site, chinese characters in the folder structures but the flash tool can't read chinese characters so it fails.....genius. Once you have renamed all the folders it will be fine.
  • The Headphone port can't handle anything with a mic. There are some simple fixes but something to consider.
  • Build quality is great, really solid and feels good but I worry if you drop it, it would literally explode.
  • Oleo-phobic screen coating is not as good as premium devices, picks up finger prints much easier.

The Good

• Support 3G sim cards & SD
  • The build quality ( somewhat contrary to what i said above ! ) for £150 is brilliant. It feels good, somewhat cheaper feeling metal than the iPad but that's expected surely at this price ?
  • The screen is fantastic. Same resolution as the iPad air. There appears to be a very slight gap between digitiser and LCD which when put next to an iPad is obvious, on it's own though it looks brilliant
  • The fact it's a iPad clone means you have a huge world of cases to choose from.
  • The dual boot works well, the newest firmware allows you to turn it on an access a boot menu or when in either OS you have a button to swap. Really simple. Going from Android to windows is about 20 seconds
  • The Other way is about 1 minute.
Average

• The battery is average, it has 7000mah capacity. It's not amazing nor is it bad. Stand by if you have flight mode enabled seems good. With out it ( unless you disable Wifi when asleep ) it does drop quite quickly. Haven't really put it through any major tests yet but most owners are saying 4 - 6 hours. Some 8+ but I guess it depends how you use it.
So over all, actually amazed. I expected utter tat but got something absolutely worth while and for a steal of a price. Feel free to ask anything about it. If I can answer I will.

Pictures

Last edited:

ultimatewarrior

Hi. I know you have since sold but wondered if this had the HDMI output?

Cheers

ultimatewarrior

Hi thanks for reply - I have been looking at these and there seems to be a couple of different models, some sites are saying it has a micro HDMI output for connecting to TV etc.

Im looking to purchase one of these and use a keyboard to replace my laptop - any thoughts? laptop only used to browse web and make the odd word doc.

Thanks again

Riksta73

Banned
Hi thanks for reply - I have been looking at these and there seems to be a couple of different models, some sites are saying it has a micro HDMI output for connecting to TV etc.

Im looking to purchase one of these and use a keyboard to replace my laptop - any thoughts? laptop only used to browse web and make the odd word doc.

Thanks again
Hi Pal did you buy the 919? If so what's it like and have you tried hdmi out?

haujobbz

Strangely I was considering buying the Onda or teclast x98 air 3G ? I just don't know which one to buy ? Both have retina screen , 64gb storage , hdmi , but the teclast has a brighter screen and I think it has usb 3.0 . Does the onda have usb 3 ?

FireKracker

There is a reviewer in YouTube 'TechTablets.com' who has been comparing devices from Onda/Teclast.
Link: . Hope that helps

ultimatewarrior

Hi Pal did you buy the 919? If so what's it like and have you tried hdmi out?
yeah i bought the v919 air black and gold tablet is very good not tried hdmi out yet as I dont have a micro hdmi cable

haujobbz

yeah i bought the v919 air black and gold tablet is very good not tried hdmi out yet as I dont have a micro hdmi cable

I'm just not confident buying onda products due to terrible firmware , have you suffered and issues, I'm more confident buying teclast , chuwi, or icube Chinese tablets ;)

ultimatewarrior

No issues at all

stunno

I've had one since before Christmas and it has been fine so far!

It is by no means the fastest tablet out there, but it doesn't profess to be, but it has done everything that I've asked of it faultlessly

ultimatewarrior

Mine up for sale if anyone interested

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom