Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood Review & Comments

The premise certainly sounded intriguing but from the review(s) I'm going to wait until I can watch it at home. I'm also a little worried about what I'm hearing about the Bruce Lee part. I understand that it is only a smallish part but even his family are supposedly not happy.

It was a little uneasy as a Bruce fan. It's certainly more a parody and they play up to it which I found actually quite funny in the end.

I felt this was one of his worst movies as the first 2 hours of characters was "who cares" and then the build up to the action scene at the end was comical but pointless on how it got there, Very disjointed storyline and not on par with Dogs or Hateful8.
Pitt and Caprio were brilliant though.

I love Tarantino and I love Bruce Lee..... I realised from the trailers that it wasn't going to be the real Bruce Lee. The way I look at it is it's an alternative universe Bruce Lee and it is a flash back from a main character perspective as someone mentioned earlier. It's great to see Tarantino keeping things fresh with another unique film unlike anything else. Been playing the soundtrack for the last 2 months.... Man those songs are sticking in my head at the moment.

Ported over from the "user review" section but I felt so left out there as this is where the action's at it seems!

Watched this at Odeon Luxe, Broadway Plaza Birmingham this evening. I rarely visit the cinema, only to take the kids out to be honest but this was an outing with the lads which I was really looking forward to - always love a Tarantino flick!

The movie itself was great! Brilliant script, the acting from all involved was just top notch, all the ingredients of pure, old school movie magic.

However the commercial theatre that was Odeon Luxe completely trashed my experience. First off, the room wasn't dimmed well and the ambient light gave the picture a poor, washed out lacklustre appearance.

Secondly (and this is unforgivable) - no motorised auto-masking or auto screen ratio correction. So the picture was on a large 16:9 screen, washed out with grey bars at the top and bottom!

So much for the over-hyped "ID Sense and 4K image" sales nonsense before the movie began.

Can't wait to see again this properly at home.

I watched it at the Dolby Leicester Square,my first time since the upgrade.I liked the movie,but i understand why some moviegoers have found it a bit uneventful.It is a QT period(the twilight of the Golden Age of Hollywood) movie,made by cinephiles for cinephiles.Nothing more,nothing less.

The two Dolby Christie laser projectors were very bright indeed,the contrast great for a cinema.I am talking about the trailers,because the movie itself was om 35mm and even on the smallish screen it was a bit soft and "vintage" looking.I have seen H8 on 70mm there and even that wasnt impressive and not a patch on Imax.BTW,Tenet will be screened in 15/70 at Waterloo next summer.

It is a talky movie,but the sound during the trailers was superb and the bass was great for a cinema.

The huge recliners are very comfy,but the leather got very sticky during the long running time.

Last edited:
Would still see It Chapter 2 there ;)

Or at BFI Imax...

Saw this last night, I had read nothing about the film before viewing.

Leo and Brad were superb, I was surprised when the credits rolled, really lost myself in the film, the time flew by :)

Cas, how could you not mention the dog? :eek::nono: You do know that 'Brandy' won the coveted Cannes Festival Palm D'og 2019 Award, right?

Cas, how could you not mention the dog? :eek::nono: You do know that 'Brandy' won the coveted Cannes Festival Palm D'og 2019 Award, right?

Didn't want to spoil the surprise lol, as it's kind of a final act thing.

Well I went to watch this last night, and 24 hours later I remain a bit perplexed.

Whilst not a bad film by any means, it's actually a film within a film - and possibly within another film.

To be brief, it's not near to being one of Tarantino's best for me. Although it's not his worst either. It's easily 30 minutes too long, and it relies too much on it's final moments - which I did very much enjoy I can't deny.

Pitt is brilliant, DiCaprio is good. The script is sharp, and there's some genuine laugh out load moments. The soundtrack is spot on - I expect nothing less from a Tarantino flick. And it looks fantastic.

But it is all a tad self indulgent. And it's like it was all about the process and not the film itself - if that makes sense.

I'll definitely need to watch it again. But happy to wait for the Blu, and I doubt it will longer long in the memory for me until then.

Just a 7/10 at this point, and I was hoping it would be higher.

Just watched it again. Feel exactly the same. Glorious and immersive and beautiful, with lots of great scenes and great characters. It is a bit long (although what would we cut out?), and of course its self indulgent (that's clearly it's raison d'etre- Tarantino indulging his love of Hollywood), and sure it can be a little boring at times. But I can see myself enjoying this at home. 8/10

Well I went to watch this last night, and 24 hours later I remain a bit perplexed.

Whilst not a bad film by any means, it's actually a film within a film - and possibly within another film.

To be brief, it's not near to being one of Tarantino's best for me. Although it's not his worst either. It's easily 30 minutes too long, and it relies too much on it's final moments - which I did very much enjoy I can't deny.

Pitt is brilliant, DiCaprio is good. The script is sharp, and there's some genuine laugh out load moments. The soundtrack is spot on - I expect nothing less from a Tarantino flick. And it looks fantastic.

But it is all a tad self indulgent. And it's like it was all about the process and not the film itself - if that makes sense.

I'll definitely need to watch it again. But happy to wait for the Blu, and I doubt it will longer long in the memory for me until then.

Just a 7/10 at this point, and I was hoping it would be higher.

Yup I watched OUATIH last week and although it had some memorable scenes (plus looked & sounded fantastic in IMAX with Laser) there was plenty of runtime which plodded along, which is why that I’m in no hurry to even have a Cineworld Unlimited freebie encore; although I probably will do so at some point, having read and watched spoiler reviews, to see if it gives me a new appreciation.

Having only watched Pulp Fiction up cinema for the first time a couple of weeks ago (I was slightly too young in 1995) I actually had a much stronger urge to shell out another £5.99 to watch that up Vue (they re-showed it over weekend) as the 154 minutes of Tarantino at the peak of his powers absolutely flew by.

Do you not think that DiCaprio's role was much more demanding (as somebody not particularly likeable) than Pitts?

Do you not think that DiCaprio's role was much more demanding (as somebody not particularly likeable) than Pitts?

I actually don't. DiCaprio I consider a better actor than Pitt, so for me I think this was an easy role for him to play. Pitt on the other hand I don't rate as highly, however I thought he came across great as a hard man with a heart. Had all the right looks and mannerisms at the right time.

I actually don't. DiCaprio I consider a better actor than Pitt, so for me I think this was an easy role for him to play. Pitt on the other hand I don't rate as highly, however I thought he came across great as a hard man with a heart. Had all the right looks and mannerisms at the right time.

Pitt was excellent in it but he didn't really change throughout, whereas DiCaprio's character had various ups and downs.

When Dalton lost it in the trailer reminded me a little of the times I've lost it mentally due to perfectionism. I relate.

I'm much more like the unlikeable self-loathing Dalton than the effortlessly cool Booth. :(

DiCaprio nailed it. :)

Pitt was excellent in it but he didn't really change throughout, whereas DiCaprio's character had various ups and downs.

When Dalton lost it in the trailer reminded me a little of the times I've lost it mentally due to perfectionism. I relate.

I'm much more like the unlikeable self-loathing Dalton than the effortlessly cool Booth. :(

DiCaprio nailed it. :)

He did. No denying. But still a Pitt win for me.

After watching DiCaprio in the likes of Wolf of Wall Street, it's why I have this performance down as one he just had to get out of bed for.

Every time they said the name Dalton I kept thinking of Road House. And I could have imagined Pitt playing one of the doormen there too :D

Think I’ll keep it short ....
Just wish l had known there was no plot so l could have enjoyed the scenery chewing acting and characterisation instead of looking for a clever underlying storyline
Look forward to watching on the home set up so l can just indulge in the indulgence.

I love Tarrantino movies but couldn't relate to this whatsoever! There was no plot really, I honestly cant make a case for this! Gutted at how bad it was. I just hope he returns for a tenth film but he must do better than this if it's to be his final curtain.

My mini-review of this film, which I watched at the pretty small screen 4 at the Odeon Luxe Leicester Square:

For his 9th movie, the brash writer/director trades on the faded glory of Hollywood in 1969. Di Caprio and Brad Pitt star as washed up Western actor and his sidekick, stuntman. Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate, which gives the film it’s creepy, real-life cross-over in which history is re-written. Lots to enjoy and let wash over you; the story oozes love of cinema, love of actors, and those trademark beautifully paced scenes that QT revels in, more than almost any working director. It’s an odd movie that is so beautifully made, yet has a disquieting element to it.

The presence of the infamous Manson family feels quite odd, given they have one of QT’s familiar “prep scenes” with his spiky dialogue just before a major action. Yet, their action – in real life – was a brutal murder. Also, Kurt Russell appears to start a voice over out of nowhere, in the third act of the film. Still a very well directed film, which features one of Di Caprio’s best performances, vulnerable, funny and kinda sad.

Having its final showing tonight at my local, i cant decide if i want to sit in the cinema for almost 3 hours on this one... might wait for the blu ray...

Saw this on the plane home last night, completely dumbfounded as to what I was watching. One of Tarantinos worst for me, only inglorious and death proof have been worse IMO.

Saw it last night . Utterly outstanding in every way. Loved every single minute

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom