Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood Review & Comments

Evinger

Thanks Cas. Looking forward to seeing this Movie, but because of its length, will be a Home Watch for me :)

Goonerdude

Watched it yesterday classic Tarantino with a great final act & excellent musical score.

Not completely happy how Bruce Lee was portrayed and Brad does steel the show.

Tarantino is back on top form. :thumbsup:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Sunday night for me. I’m one of the few that think QT is way past his best so hopefully this’ll be a return of sorts.
No, I'd kind of agree with that. Nothing really touches his first two for me, but this one's surprisingly heartfelt for Tarantino, and I enjoyed it more than his westerns.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I gave it an 8 too. Didn't mind the length (could have happily watched more) but it is a bit all over the place. If Crawl was an exercise in lean film-making, this is unapologetically the opposite. But you can't help but revel in the richness, joy and quality of the film-making. Delightful stuff.

Jessica Noir

Given that I think Jackie Brown is easily is best film, I loved OUATIH. Like Jackie Brown, it's more of a hangout film that Tarantino's recent work and boy did I like spending time with these characters. Like Cas said, Pitt steals the show, with every scar on his body telling a backstory.

I would love a spin-off about Booth and Dalton tearing up the Italian film scene and rubbing up against the likes of Dario Argento and Mario Bava.

Last edited:

Diagnosticz

Watched it yesterday classic Tarantino with a great final act & excellent musical score.

Not completely happy how Bruce Lee was portrayed and Brad does steel the show.

Tarantino is back on top form. :thumbsup:
I read the Bruce lee scene was going to be re edited and rightly so it should have not been portrayed as it was in the first place.

Diagnosticz

Given that I think Jackie Brown is easily is best film, I loved OUATIH. Like Jackie Brown, it's more of a hangout film that Tarantino's recent work and boy did I like spending time with these characters (even if one murdered his wife. Maybe.). Like Cas said, Pitt steals the show, with every scar on his body telling a backstory.

I would love a spin-off about Booth and Dalton tearing up the Italian film scene and rubbing up against the likes of Dario Argento and Mario Bava.
Was that a spoiler in there? If so please add a spoiler alert

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I read the Bruce lee scene was going to be re edited and rightly so it should have not been portrayed as it was in the first place.
I didn't mind this at all and don't really get the fuss. Big Bruce Lee fan, but I can totally believe
him being massively (and arguably mostly justifiably) arrogant, and - if reversed - can imagine Ali making the very same comment, only with more poetry

Interestingly, they based Pitt's character on Gene LeBell, and that may have directly influenced this scene.
Firstly, LeBell was famously challenged by a boxer who thought his martial arts would prove ineffective (that didn't go as planned for the boxer) and secondly, LeBell notoriously - and allegedly - choked out Seagal in front of the entire cast and crew when the latter (early into his career, and with LeBell a regular stuntman on his films to that point) said that his Aikido prevented anybody from choking him out.
With this in mind, I think the scene was a superb little tribute to the unsung and tough as nails stuntpeople of old.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I didn't mind this at all and don't really get the fuss. Big Bruce Lee fan, but I can totally believe
him being massively (and arguably mostly justifiably) arrogant, and - if reversed - can imagine Ali making the very same comment, only with more poetry

Interestingly, they based Pitt's character on Gene LeBell, and that may have directly influenced this scene.
Firstly, LeBell was famously challenged by a boxer who thought his martial arts would prove ineffective (that didn't go as planned for the boxer) and secondly, LeBell notoriously - and allegedly - choked out Seagal in front of the entire cast and crew when the latter (early into his career, and with LeBell a regular stuntman on his films to that point) said that his Aikido prevented anybody from choking him out.
With this in mind, I think the scene was a superb little tribute to the unsung and tough as nails stuntpeople of old.
Plus it was a great way to establish Booth as someone who could
take out half the Mansun family single handedly (even on acid) and thwart the murders.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Relieved to read this review, I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Except that everyone that actually knew him says that
he wasn't the arrogant arsehole that he is portrayed as in the film.

If you see him in interviews & home videos taken from the time, he is completely different from his 'on-screen' persona and comes across as friendly, eloquent and well educated. He was also a Philiosopy major and wrote poetry.

Also Tarantino's assertion that
People are saying, 'Well, he never said he could beat up Muhammad Ali.' Uh, yeah, he did. Not only did he say that, his wife, Linda Lee, said that. In the first biography I ever read was Linda Lee's 'Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew,' and she absolutely said it."
is a lie.

Bruce Lee’s Daughter Says Quentin Tarantino ‘Could Shut Up’ About Her Father’s Portrayal (EXCLUSIVE)
The passage in his wife Linda Lee Cadwell’s book, “Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew,” that Tarantino appears to refer to is a quote from a critic, who wrote that “Those who watched [Bruce] Lee would bet on Lee to render Cassius Clay senseless,” and not from the author herself (Clay was later known as Muhammad Ali).
He's the only character in the film that Tarantino decided to make a complete arsehole so I can understand why people are annoyed.

It'd be like Tarantino making a film that included a caricature of Julie Andrews and making her out to be a diva and a bitch, and then asserting that she really is a Diva and a bitch. Character assassination.

Last edited:

richardsim7

Distinguished Member

If you see him in interviews & home videos taken from the time, he is completely different from his 'on-screen' persona and comes across as friendly, eloquent and well educated. He was also a Philiosopy major and wrote poetry.

is a lie.

Bruce Lee’s Daughter Says Quentin Tarantino ‘Could Shut Up’ About Her Father’s Portrayal (EXCLUSIVE)

He's the only character in the film that Tarantino decided to make a complete arsehole so I can understand why people are annoyed.

It'd be like Tarantino making a film that included a caricature of Julie Andrews and making her out to be a diva and a bitch, and then asserting that she really is a Diva and a bitch. Character assassination.
Keep in mind that the first Bruce Lee scene where he's arrogant is a flashback from Cliff's perspective, so it may not be accurate. The second flashback where it shows him training with Sharon Tate seems much friendlier

kahlua

thanks cas, glad its good,cant wait to see it.

Diagnosticz

I am the huge fan of Bruce lee and a fan of Tarantino.

Gene LeBell has been talking online regarding the scene, he was a close friend of Bruce lee
I know it is a film and it is dramatised but this move from Tarantino is not going down well and to be honest it is disrespectful, not only for for his legendary martial art skills as he was the baddest man on the planet but as a human being who went out of his way to help many people and has always been described by anyone who met him as a humble person that is the most disappointing thing for me to be portrayed as a arrogant weak man

Last edited:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Nice to see you had a good time with it Cas. Unfortunately I could barely connect with it, either as a loveletter to that period in Hollywood, or as a Tarantino flick. I literally battled to remain seated until the end credits. Glad I got a bargain ticket from Vue for only £4.99 as I was planning on some sort of pricier screening given the film's pedigree...

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I remember feeling especially sad with Burt Reynolds' passing that he was in line for a part in this. Having seen what replacement Bruce Dern had to work with, I don't think it would have affected his legacy.
An angry old man in bed!

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Brad does steel the show.
I may not have been fussed over the film, but Brad really brings something to the proceedings. Looking forward to Ad Astra even more now. Not to derail the thread, but the trailer for that played beforehand, and it looked the business on a big screen.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I remember feeling especially sad with Burt Reynolds' passing that he was in line for a part in this. Having seen what replacement Bruce Dern had to work with, I don't think it would have affected his legacy.
An angry old man in bed!
That's pretty much all Burt was too in the end. I remember being really disappointed with his mental and physical decline, after his spectacular comeback in Boogie Nights (which he later disavowed).

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer

is a lie.

I am the huge fan of Bruce lee and a fan of Tarantino.

Gene LeBell has been talking online regarding the scene, he was a close friend of Bruce lee
I know it is a film and it is dramatised but this move from Tarantino is not going down well and to be honest it is disrespectful, not only for for his legendary martial art skills as he was the baddest man on the planet but as a human being who went out of his way to help many people and has always been described by anyone who met him as a humble person that is the most disappointing thing for me to be portrayed as a arrogant weak man
Hmmm, but I'm not sure I really thought the scene was anything to do with Lee, which is why I'm not that bothered. I think it was more to do with Gene LeBell.
But having Lee there meant more to the audience rather than some now relatively unknown boxer (or Seagal, lol).

Ali was also notably humble in some personal interviews, and also frequently outspoken in public; I'm not sure I have any problem with this kind of reflection of Lee (and as mentioned, he has a much less controversial scene training later).

As I said, I think it's more about nobody paying attention to the 'stunt guy' in the background, when actually someone like LeBell could have (and did) wiped the floor with many people who thought he was a nobody. Pitt was playing a nobody stuntman to a has-been actor in Hollywood, and this showed the audience just how tough he really was

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Hmmm, but I'm not sure I really thought the scene was anything to do with Lee, which is why I'm not that bothered. I think it was more to do with Gene LeBell.
But having Lee there meant more to the audience rather than some now relatively unknown boxer (or Seagal, lol).

Ali was also notably humble in some personal interviews, and also frequently outspoken in public; I'm not sure I have any problem with this kind of reflection of Lee (and as mentioned, he has a much less controversial scene training later).

As I said, I think it's more about nobody paying attention to the 'stunt guy' in the background, when actually someone like LeBell could have (and did) wiped the floor with many people who thought he was a nobody. Pitt was playing a nobody stuntman to a has-been actor in Hollywood, and this showed the audience just how tough he really was
Couldn't that scene have worked equally as well without making Bruce Lee an arsehole though?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Couldn't that scene have worked equally as well without making Bruce Lee an arsehole though?
Not sure I thought it did make him like that.
Just very cocky (and rightly so). And no, it probably needed a pretty cocky opponent because - as I've said - it wasn't about him. It was about the guy that everybody assumed was a nobody.

I also really didn't have any problem thinking of Lee like that on film sets. Everybody would have adored him, worshipped him, and expected him to constantly show off, and he would have likely felt the need to oblige in order to justify why a 'foreigner' was on a 'white man's set' (remember, he abandoned Hollywood for a reason). It must have been terribly demanding (think: Sellars always being expected to be funny even when not filming) and he would have seldom - on set, in front of dozens of nobody stunt people and fellow co-stars - wanted to let his guard down. Just like Pitt getting DiCaprio to wear sunglasses in case somebody spots him crying; imagine that on the set of a film. I think Ali is one of the greatest fighters on the planet, and a wonderful human being, but I could full well see him saying "Bruce Lee? My fist would have already married his face before his foot even received an invitation to the wedding" only better. That's just the showmanship he had. Why does it make Lee an arsehole for him to be just as much a showman in public?

Don Rogers Tash

Another top review.

He's far from the perfect film maker but I do enjoy all of his films.
Very much looking forward to this.

Rockets

Nice review.

I thought one of the most telling lines in the review was -

'he's just about the only mainstream director, bar perhaps Scorsese, who can still get big budget R-rated movies greenlit without them involving superheroes'

Yes this is rather the problem we have found ourselves in within these modern times. It's not just R-rated, it seems like anyway possible to get superhero/monster/franchise to move into other genre the productions companies are trying.

From what I can tell this is one of the few films this year you can class as original idea which is one of the big takers at the box office.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I'm confused?

8/10 Unmissable yet another movie gets 9/10 Highly Recommended?

What's 10/10 above average? :laugh:
Then ignore the numbers and just read the words if it's that confusing.

Tarantino's OUATIH is flawed and far from perfect but, IMO, it's still unmissable. I thought I made that clear in the review itself.

Shazam, presuming you're talking about that in your example, as a 4K package, got a 9/10. The film itself, you might not have noticed, got an 8, and I didn't personally find it unmissable. I did however think that the overall package warranted a highly recommended.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
he's just about the only mainstream director, bar perhaps Scorsese, who can still get big budget R-rated movies greenlit without them involving superheroes'
Yes, it's certainly a sorry state of affairs.
The thing is with Quentin, his best works by far (imo) function on limited budgets anyway. I'd have no problem if his final film came in at less than a tenth of OUATIH. I understand the 60s setting and A-listers need paying for, but a compelling low budget indie flick by Tarantino is just as bigger draw for me.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme