Once Upon A Time in Hollywood directed by Quentin Tarantino (14 August 2019)

Rate Me

• Total voters
Enjoyed it, the sense of time and place in late 60's Hollywood was outstanding. Superb acting, DiCaprio and the 8 year old girl, Pitt and the dog etc. I just felt it meandered too much, and by the end left me feeling a little disappointed.. and my wife was not a fan at all. However for the most part I just enjoyed the journey with those characters doing very little except living their lives. 7.5/10

I went to the cinema last night with the missus. I was baffled that she suggested the film.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film but not sure why. I sat back and was gripped from the moment it started until the end.

All those big stars and all that production money... and for what? Long, slow, tedious. Don't get me wrong, the acting was great, cinematography and production design outstanding. The story? Self-indulgent and almost non-existent. I thought Tarantino was the master of dialogue? There was nothing good about the dialogue in this film. On paper it must have read flatter than a stale pint of lager. Had it been made by anyone else but Tarantino with his little black book of big names, the film would have probably disappeared into Netflix obscurity.

I did laugh at the last 15 minutes, though. Some redemption at least, for the film and the subject. Oh, and the soundtrack was good, of course.

6/10

I know people think Brad Pitt shined in this, and he did, not disputing that. But on reflection DiCaprio had the much more challenging part as the unlikeable self-loathing Rick Dalton and was brilliant in it. Pitt was pretty much the same all the way through it. Cool as der cucumber.

Last edited:
10 people walked out of my cinema before the half way point!

Last time that happened was with Mother! & Again that was BEFORE the gore

I get it, I really do. A chap I work with in his 60’s said to me he really wanted to see it, so I asked him if he enjoyed QT’s other stuff. To which he said he couldn’t remember having seen anything. I recommended he did, before making the trip to the cinema.
Anyway he watched Django and said he no longer wanted to see Hollywood.

Last edited:
MAD-Magazine-Tarantino-827x1024.jpg

Lousy-Law-1.jpg

saw those images on here;

Damn Robbie - QT did not get time to answer the Star Trek movie question :D

The worst movie I ever watched at the cinema was Street Fighter.
This actually topped it.
I can't believe any studio company would shell out on making such a dire movie......but they did.

Simply awful from begining to end.

I’m kinda worried how divisive this is proving to be. Oh well, guess I’ll see what side of the fence I’m on tomorrow.

I’m kinda worried how divisive this is proving to be. Oh well, guess I’ll see what side of the fence I’m on tomorrow.

usually you've seen 'a' film 4 times by now :D
i started to appreciate the film more afterward by reading others comments here, and watching the cast and crew interviews, its not best QT film, but nor is it the worst movie you'll ever see as the mad comments above. its a great production, with foreboding tension at times at Spahn, but also a lot of fun.

it was nice to see Luke one last time

Last edited:
Opted not to see it during my working week as I’d only be able to go to a later showing and I’d likely to nod off.

Last edited:
Opted not to see it during my working week as I’d only be able to go to a later showing and I’d likely to nod off.
Nodding off maybe the best way forward.

Loads of people walked out half way through my showing.
I stayed because I thought there might be some huge twist at the end.

No, it wasn't full by any means (4pm on Friday) but nobody left the screening until the credits started rolling.
Did any of the Ushers walk in and then walk back out? :laugh:

Tarantino’s Hollywood Tops Django In Overseas Box Office Bows – Deadline

International opening of $53.7m is 30% higher than Django Unchained. UK’s 5-day opening of $8.9M (+76% on Django). Tarantino's best international opening box office numbers. $180.5M global cume so far.

Quentin Tarantino's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Nears $200M
Most box office analysts predict that #OnceUponaTimeinHollywood will ultimately earn between $375 million and $400 million globally, surpassing 'Pulp Fiction' ($212 million) and 'Inglourious Basterds' ($316.9 million).

Box Office: 'Hobbs & Shaw' Nears $450 Million As Tarantino And DiCaprio's 'Hollywood' Explodes Overseas

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood is hanging on like a champ, with a $7.6 million (-35%) third weekend and a $114.228 million 17-day cume. It'll have a better third-weekend hold than both Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained, which is impressive as it's essentially "just" a drama. It may pass Basterds' unadjusted $121 million total by next weekend, with an eye on a $135 million finish give-or-take Oscar glory.

Oh and it opened with $53 million overseas in its first big overseas drop (Russia was last weekend), showing dynamite results on par with The Revenant. The $90 million DiCaprio/Pitt/Robbie melodrama has now earned $180 million worldwide.

Last edited:

No one walked out at the showing I was at and tbf anyone who does walk out of a film part way through maybe shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Quentin Tarantino’s best opening film ever internationally according to Variety

Saw it opening night - no one walked out and found a lot of people where laughing throughout, a lot laughing out loud and excitement heard in final act.

I have since watched / read a lot of interviews with Cast & QT plus reading up on the Charlie Manson murders etc. (I deliberately didn't do any research / avoided all trailers etc.)

Going to see it again tomorrow night - i think i am more excited 2nd time round having more background knowledge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom