1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once Upon A Time In America

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by valhalla, Jun 7, 2004.

1. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A sprawling, unlikeable movie with unmotivated, unlikeable characters. Most unbelievable is that, even after 4 hours of the movie, there are countless loose ends left over. While there are a few good moments, those alone are countered by the dreadfully exploitative sex scenes, while the baffling plot and sappy score will drain away any further interest. I love the other five Sergio Leone movies I've seen, and this was actually a bad movie.

If you want to rent an incredibly long film, rent "Gone with the Wind." If you want to see something where characters have no motivations, rent "Othello." If you want to see Robert DeNiro at his most gross and repulsive, rent "Raging Bull." This movie is best left unseen.

:thumbsdow

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Valhalla,

I have to confess, that having watched the film over the weekend (all in one go), it's actually a pretty terrible film.

The first half (or two hours) is very good, and well-acted. But the remainder, is dire. Up to the point when the gang have become adults (and gone their separate ways) it's okay, but after this, the film just doesn't know what to do or where to go.

The ending is awful, and makes no sense. Warner's DVD presentation is also pretty bad.

1) The break in the film is badly positioned. Hell, there's a damn Intermission part-way through the film. This would have been far more sensible to break the film up at.

2) Disc two is awful. The picture is scratched and blotched all over the place. It's almost as if Warner's said to themselves:- "Well disc one looks fine, and by this point, no one'll notice the problems with disc two."

3) The documentary is actually part of a longer doc. Why couldn't we have seen the whole thing, not just the part.

4) All 96 photos! At least they could have been made a sensible size so that we could view them, as well as being displayed at the right angle.

5) The main menu starts the film automatically, if you don't select anything. Bad! Bad! Bad!

The only saving grace was the Gheorge Zamfir music, like the main theme that appears throughout the film, and inbetween Ennio Morricone's stuff.

Overall though, I wasn't too pleased. I will be selling or swapping my copy soon.

Very disappointed, considering this was supposed to be the definitive version, and the definitive release of a seminal film. Not a patch on half a dozen other mafia-type films. A shame really.

Pooch

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it is worth I think it is an outstanding film. One of true great gangster epics.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    One of the best films ever made.
    I'd put it in the top 10 maybe even the top 5.

As for the ending there is more than one interpretation and that is something that should be celebrated.Its a fairy tale of sorts just as most of leone's other films are.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    One of my top 10 as well. :smashin:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cant say i dislike it either!

ad

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some people have no taste at all :laugh: You give Troy an '8' then this a '6' :laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes: What next: give Blade Runner a '4' :nono:

8. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sappy Score???? More like sheer bloody genious mate. Possibly Leone's best, and thats saying A LOT Get with the plot ;-)

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Great film, one of my all time faves too.

Agree with Gorshin on the score....'Sappy'?....Sappy how?

One thing that does look poor is the ageing make-up, doesn't look very convincing.

Even to this day Hollywood make-up/fx artists still struggle with the most natural thing in the world....Getting old!

10. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    That's because it's against all the natural laws in Hollywood, they can make moldy bread look like it's fresh from the oven but make someone look old...... :nono:

11. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have to go with the :thumbsup: on this one, I've had this film for years now (I think I actually got it imported from Brazil or something for about £27) and think it's a classic.

There may be a couple of versions out there as my mate watched it with me and thought that the version I had was different from the one he'd seen.

R

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Al Pacino in Godfather 3 and Mel Gibson in Forever Young are a couple more examples.

13. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Might as well get my two cents in, deffinately a film for the top ten list!!!

14. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely within top 5 of all time.

15. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I Think its a good film , but you've really gotta be in the mood to watch it. I've watched the film once on dvd since i bought it when it came out. The film has some good parts but to me its over long and drags in some places.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I haven't seen this film, but I doubt I would like it as I didn't get on with the 'Godfather' films.