1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once upon a time in America (R1 vs. R3)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anyone have the R1 and can do a quick check for me?

I bought the (original) R3 2-disc set and two things I noticed: there is a censorship in the first part, during the scene in the catafalque (?) the "essential parts" are blurred out.
    Furthermore the first part stops after chapter 34 when the DVD jumps back into the main menu without warning, the black screen with "Intermission" written on it is shown between chapter 44 and 45 on the 2nd disc however.

Intention or mistake? (The rape scene for example is not censored)

Normally the R3 releases of the major labels are recoded R1 discs, perhaps with different subtitles (and on some occassions different language tracks) so I wonder if I got a dodgy transfer or if that's all as it's intended to be ... !? :confused:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Whot? Nobody has the R1 set?

3. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    What about the R2?

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner

I have the region1, but I am unsure as to what a catafalque is:confused:

5. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the region 1, but like mcmullanbrush i have no idea which scene you are referring to. An educated guess tells me that this might be the opium den scene at the start, but I can't be sure. Can't say I noticed any censorship. Be a bit more specific and I'll check it out for you.

The intermission being half the way through disc 2 is deliberate. That's where Leone put it in the original cut - it just doesn't tie in with DVD capacity restrictions. Some genius director he is that can't see twenty years into the future and anticipate such a problem :rolleyes:

The cut to disc two is disappointing but fitting such a long film onto two discs without sacrificing quality was always going to be a challenge. The other alternative I suppose would have been to put it on three discs and have the intermission at the end of disc two. Where that would have left the cut to disc two though...

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The online dictionary said a "Leichenwagen" is called a catafalque in English. :D
    It also mentioned 'hearse' but I choose to write catafalque because it sounded better. ;)

Anyhow, it's supposed to be a car which is used to transport dead people. In that particular scene De Niro is just released from prison and is picked up buy Woods with a 'Leichenwagen'.
    Inside he is screwing a dead girl (kind of) and her boobs are blurred.
    During the rape scene you also see a bit but it's not blurred, so I was wondering if that was orginially in the movie or just done on the R3 release (and they overlooked the rape scene).

Point taken but they could have moved it to the end of the first disc or at least inserted another "Intermission" there.
    Don't really see the point in maintaining it on the 2nd disc either. :confused:

Thanks for the replies anyhow. :)

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh, and did you actually know/notice that Jennifer Connelly played the young Deborah!?

8. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    definitely no blurring on the hearse scene in the R1 version and you're absolutely right - the intermission is totally redundant. That's artistic integrity taken to the point where it's a pain in the @rse.

Good spot on Jennifer Connelly.:smashin:

But then there's a good spot on Robert DeNiro's face too.:laugh:

Is that the most famous mole in the movies?