1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once Upon A Time In America - on DVD?!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, May 4, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Just read in the latest edition of "DVD Review" that it is possible to purchase the awesome crime drama "Once Upon A Time In America" on DVD, from an internet company called INTER DVD.

However, the magazine doesn't mention a website address or any details about the disc(s) itself, e.g. the length of the film, Widescreen, soundtrack format, extras, etc, etc. The only thing mentioned is that it IS available, and bloody expensive.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour please? This title was mentioned on the Letters Page, so it's not DVD Review who are to blame if this DVD doesn't actually exist.

Cheers, in advance,

Pooch

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Http://www.interdvd.co.uk (wasn't exactly hard to find :) )

Can hardly believe this myself but it is advertised on their site for £29.99. Aspect ratio is 4:3 with Dolby Digital sound! The disc has a few extras such as trailer, filmographies etc., but it is Region 0. This leads me to believe it's not official but rather an asian special copied from Laserdisc or at worst VCD. You never know but a quick run through some of the advertised titles reveals many films and mini-series' that have not been officially released on DVD which only adds to the suspicion. :confused:

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Looks well dodgy to me!
    Under "Latest News" they have a piece about the imminent release of Akira! :rolleyes:

4. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The same letter in DVD Review encouraged me to find the disk!

During my night shift last night I tracked it down (Region 0) and ordered from www.dvdbrazil.com for $32.15 including postage to the UK.

Must agree though that it seems a bit strange but, for the money, I was prepared to take the risk.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just tried the site but it came up as

"There are temporary errors in this store: Error while opening DB:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

:rolleyes:

6. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably the Italian (I think) release that used to be for sale by www.sazuma.com? As far as I recall I was never tempted due to the fact that it was a cropped version, ie it was shot as 4.3, cropped to 2.35/1 then cropped again (!) to 4.3? A proper release is only a matter of time, it has to be!

7. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lex

I got the same message a couple of times yesterday - not a particularly great site. This link http://www.dvdbrazil.com/comersus/store/info.asp takes you to the info page where they claim that all DVDs are official releases.

I've never been one to believe everything on the net, but I do tend to be optimistic.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Tony,

Have u ever bought anything from them? Was just wondering how trustworthy they were?

Lex.

9. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lex

Never even heard of them prior to Friday - thus the optimistic streak!

I will post an update when (if) I receive the disk, although it will probably be a few weeks via surface mail.

10. adieacc

adieacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once upon a time in America, does exist i have a copy, Rhingos used to sell it for £27. As i remember (not being at home to check) its widescreen, stereo, and 227 minutes long. Its not the best transfer in the world, a little better than VHS quality

11. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have spent many hours on the internet trying to find out when and if once upon a time in america is due out on dvd.
    the only info i can find is that there is some sort of dispute between the studio and sergio leones son that is preventing a proper widescreen release
    if anyone knows or hears anything more please let us all know

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Well having checked out the InterDVD site, I'm not impressed one iota.

From the looks of things, this is most definitely NOT an official release in any way, shape or form. The fact the title is in Portugese, the fact that a 4-hour movie is on one single DVD, and the fact that it's 4:3 only, and only seemingly available from a minor site like this for £30, all lead me to believe that it is a pirate disc. Also, it's listed as being a Region's 3-6 NTSC disc, but Portugal is a Region 2 PAL territory, isn't it?! So...... this all sounds mighty suspect to me. Less "Once Upon A Time In America" and more like "Once Upon A Time On The Back Of A Van"!!

Anyway, Channel 4 often show the uncut, widescreen version, and since I have that, I think I will wait for a legitimate release.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice though!

Pooch

13. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe the reason the title is in portugese is that it is a brazilian disc, which would fit in with the region it claims to be.
    i have heard about this dvd before but paid no attention due to it being 4:3. i am sure i read that it is an official release and not a pirate, but i am not sure how this fits in with the thread i posted earlier about the dispute between the leone family and the studio preventing a release throughout the world

14. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch, I bought this about 8 months ago from InterDVD.

Apparrently it is the only country/distributor with the legal rights to present this movie at present.

The 4:3 print is an open matte version of the film (which when shown in widescreen was matted to 1:85:1).

The disc is also a flipper. Yep, a flipper.

It is the fullest English dialogue version available.

It's not bad, but if you wish a widescreen version I can only recommend the Laserdisc release.

Do not expect this movie even in Italian dialogue format, to be released for a long time. It is beset by the most incredible legal wrangles.

15. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    " ...this is most definitely NOT an official release in any way, shape or form... "

...ahh, but it is, you see...

" The fact the title is in Portugese... "

...ahh, but it is a Brazilian DVD, and the Brazilians speak Portuguese ... well, a kind of Portuguese, comparable - as Portuguese - to the French that French Canadians in Canada speak, y'see...

" ...the fact that a 4-hour movie is on one single DVD..."

...ahh, but so is Gone With The Wind (which, at 220 minutes, is only about 8 minutes shorter than OUATIA)... also, the "single DVD" is a DVD-10, which - depending on the care spent on authoring it - is ample for any four-hour movie - and some extras, too, if available/required...

" ...and the fact that it's 4:3 only...

...well, so's the two-disc PAL LaserDisc release that I bought in London, years ago - this never was a *w*i*d*e*screen movie ... in fact I seem to remember seeing it as 1.66:1 when shown in a cinema here in Switzerland, upon its original release...

" ...it's listed as being a Region's 3-6 NTSC disc, but Portugal is a Region 2 PAL territory, isn't it?! "

...yup, Portugal is indeed a Region 2 PAL territory, but - as already mentioned - this is a DVD from Brazil, which is indeed Region 4 and thus comfortably falls within the 3-6 range mentioned on the disc...

...fyi, in my DVD 'collection' I have several perfectly legitimate French DVDs of 'classic' French movies, and one perfectly legitimate German DVD of a 'classic' Italian movie, all of which are Region 0 and at the same time are encoded NTSC --- come to think of it, I have one perfectly legitimate UK DVD - the Gershwins' Porgy & Bess released by EMI Classics and featuring a cast of great singers and the London Philharmonic conducted by Simon Rattle - this DVD is NTSC-encoded and "...does not contain Regional Coding, but will play on NTSC system compatible players..."

So... " ... this all sounds mighty suspect to me. Less "Once Upon A Time In America" and more like "Once Upon A Time On The Back Of A Van"!! " ... come on! ...you know that isn't true!... storm in a teacup, I say!...

Peace!

. . . :cool: . . .

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Okay, okay,

Credit's due to European and Dirk for correcting my totally inaccurate post! :blush:

Thanks... I think! :D That'll tell me to ever bother writing about stuff I know nothing about! :D :D

Pooch

17. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...aww... that's alright Pooch! we forgive you!...

...btw, and fyi, Hong Kong is in Region 3 and their TV system is PAL... yet, almost every HK DVD I own (a quite respectable number of discs, in fact) is Region 0 (the exceptions being a handful of Japanese, Korean and Thai movies, which are Region 3) and every one is NTSC...

...and so it goes...

. . . ;) . . .

18. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And isn't the UK release of The 10th Kingdom NTSC? In a PAL "territory"? And didn't one of the smaller Laserdisc companies (Tartan I think) encode their UK LD's in NTSC in order to fit DD soundtracks on their releases?

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    MichaelM,

Yes, the UK release of "The 10th Kingdom" was indeed released in NTSC format, as were the UK DVD releases of "Sex In The City" Seasons, 1 and 2.

Personally, this smacks of laziness on the UK disribution firm, who haven't been bothered to transfer the film correctly, or obtain a PAL master. They exist, because else there'd be no UK video releases, which are in PAL format!

Pooch

20. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let those interested know that the disk arrived from www.dvdbrazil.com this morning. No shrink wrap, and it looks like it’s been on the shelf for a while… but disk itself has no visible damage and looks brand new.

As European stated in his earlier reply, the disk is 4:3 and stereo 2.0 . Picture quality is perfectly acceptable and certainly an improvement on VHS or SVHS.

Unless there is a re-mastered version in the pipeline, this is not too bad a buy - although at £22ish, admittedly a bit pricey.