Once Upon a Time in America Blu-ray AVForums Review

Got my Warner copy worked out at £30.21 all in.

Nice.

Eeeeew:

nGT1vTq.jpg

Very odd but I suppose it used to be with TESE in the UK:
3jBDKU0.jpg

After having this sat on my shelf for ages, I finally found four hours free to watch it all in one sitting.

No real need for me to do a general review of how amazing this film is, so I'll just comment on this edition... it's cleaned up nicely and not overdone, definitely the best that it's ever looked.

Now, onto the newly found scenes, and I suspect some will disagree, but...
Totally unnecessary.

A couple of them stand out like a sore thumb (the Louise Fletcher mausoleum scene in particular), and in my opinion, add nothing.

The conversation with the chauffeur sets up the unpleasant scene in the back of the car, but again it's not really needed, looks awful and the audio is so muffled it's painful to watch.

I thought the ageing mentioned above was pretty well done, De Niro does indeed look pretty much like he looks now.

Totally agree about the unnecassary added scenes, they look poor and add nothing.

Don't agree about the 'ageing De Biro'. Looks nothing liuke De Niro now !
TBH, Hollywood have never been good at ageing make-up in movies, even today, but they always doe well at making people look younger though :)

Totally agree about the unnecassary added scenes, they look poor and add nothing.

Don't agree about the 'ageing De Biro'. Looks nothing liuke De Niro now !
TBH, Hollywood have never been good at ageing make-up in movies, even today, but they always doe well at making people look younger though :)

It would be decidedly eerie if he did. But, in the context of the film made in the early 1980s, De Niro does look convincing as a man in his 60s - whether he looks like his real old-age self is moot.

They got someone else's 'old age' effects wrong in the film - not De Niro. A certain Downton Abbey actor no less..

I presume this is Elizabeth McGovern (never seen Downtown). There is a theory that she doesn't look any older in the 1960s part of the story because these scenes are imagined by Noodles' in a drug-induced fever-dream. Always thought it was odd that you would put obvious effort into making De Niro and Woods (and some others, like Weld - years since I saw the film so I can't remember all of the characters who appear in both timelines) look plausibly old, and seem to forget about McGovern - who looks nothing like Jennifer Connelly does today, by the way.

I presume this is Elizabeth McGovern (never seen Downtown). There is a theory that she doesn't look any older in the 1960s part of the story because these scenes are imagined by Noodles' in a drug-induced fever-dream. Always thought it was odd that you would put obvious effort into making De Niro and Woods (and some others, like Weld - years since I saw the film so I can't remember all of the characters who appear in both timelines) look plausibly old, and seem to forget about McGovern - who looks nothing like Jennifer Connelly does today, by the way.

Yeah I heard about those theories a while back and I suppose they are plausible. However, Noodles does mention at least twice "age cannot wither her" or something along those lines. I always thought it a bit silly though.

Im still umming and aahing about getting the new 2-disc release. Ive got the older one of course, which I don't watch often, and its a long old film as it is. An extra 20/30 minutes makes it even longer! I might go for the amaray once it drops down a bit maybe. And you do get the older disc with it I believe which helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom