1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

onboard sound or pci card?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by stuartam_81, Jun 13, 2005.

1. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys i have a gigabyte motherboard (K8NS Pro) with builtin 7.1 sound which i am going to feed via optical out to my Denon 2805 amp but would i notice any improvements in using a pci sound card (HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold PCI Dolby Soundcard )

best regards

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    If you are using the optical output in both cases, any difference may be barely noticeable. In theory, the card supports a sample rate of 44khz, but the onboard sound won't and will resample 44khz music media to 48khz. However, you may not notice any difference. For dvd playback, the soundtrack should be just passed through the device anyway - and the receiver should be doing the decoding, and so there shouldn't be any difference in quality for these sources.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    As MikeTV says it depends. I have the same receiver as you and I bought a Chaintech AV710 just for doing the bit perfect thing for music. I did notice a subtle difference but who knows, I didn't mind paying £25 knowing that it wasn't being resampled :)