Onboard flash....forget it!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stevegreen, Jan 2, 2007.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I took a few images at my Sisters 40th birthday party last week, prior to which I asked a few questions about how to go about it in this thread.

I have to say that I took one image with the on board flash and decided from that point onwards that I wouldn't use it. This is the shot :eek:

[​IMG]

Scary how much atmosphere the flash drains from the shot!

Just to show the difference, this is the best of the rest. My favorite because my eye is drawn to the blonde in the background ;) My wife! :clap:

[​IMG]

Flash photography is a completely different art and something that I shan't be approaching for a while, and definitely not without getting a decent 'bounceable' flash gun :lesson:

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I'm also without a decent flashgun still, and avoiding the on-camera flash like the plague as the results are invariably pretty awful.

Here's the trusty Nikon 18-200VR proving its worth using just candlelight...

[​IMG]

It's the thing I'm finally learning - the quality of light makes far more difference than all the expensive gear in the world.

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    From your previous thread

:D

The WB looks a little off in the second shot (I'm assuming you had it set to auto in which case that'll often fool it when shooting under tungsten lighting) but that's easily sorted. As you say, the difference is huge and shows why speedlights are worth their weight in gold.

In the second shot your wife is doing a great "Chinny Reckon" pose.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    The white balance was on Auto Guy, you know too much!! :laugh:

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Auto white balance in both the 350D and 30D ( dont know of any others) in tungsten light can be dissapointing ( to say the least) as the "orange" colour cast is quite hard to fix in PP (Ive been there 1 or 2 times myself:blush: )

If custom WB is hard to do ( time constraints) then shooting RAW (or RAW+jpeg) can be a life saver:smashin:

Regarding on board flash: It can be better than none at all and a not very well setup external flash ( including Canons own Speedlights) can give unexpected results too but they are generally the "bees knees" .

I'm generally happy with the Sigma EF500 DG Super ( for Canon) but just leaving it on its E-TTL II default settings doesn't always result is what I was hoping for. I keep going back to:rtfm: :rolleyes: . When it ( or Myself to be more accurate) gets it right it really does it well

Daylight ( wherever possible) always seems to win hands down

6. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd agree with the 30D being awful at tungsten in AWB mode - I've never successfully got the right white balance. I now tend to shoot in RAW and JPEG, but always set the balance manually to one of the presets on the camera.

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I have to be completely honest and admit that I didn't know that 'Tungsten' was the description used for normal indoor lights :eek: :blush:

Does this count for Phillips energy bulbs too? :laugh:

Oh, and the main subject in the second picture was heavily tanned :laugh:

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    :)

Tungsten is generally for filament based light bulbs: The low energy ones seem to be a variant of flourescent....( whatever they are made of:confused: ). Im sure Phillips dont break the mould with thier specific energy bulbs

When in doubt, RAW is it;)

The subject in the second picture must be an amazing lady: She tanned her hair and drink too????:rotfl:

9. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I need to start shooting in RAW but when I tried to open them in CS2 last time it wouldn't recognise them. I was under the impression that CS2 automatically recognised Canon RAW files. S'pose I should get RAWshooter or something similar.

She does have the look of an Umpa Lumpa doesn't she :laugh: Colour wise obviously :eek:

10. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol - I hope she's not a relative after that comment Steve? ;)

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    She wasn't a relative before it either :D

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    I don't really do indoor or portrait stuff, but have found the onboard flash quite useful whilst out and about and it's been too dark to get a reasonable shutter speed without flash. I suppose with wildlife it's not so noticable.

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I almost always use flash outdoors in the summer for fill.

14. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Steve

All you need to do is download the RAW convertor for CS2 which is available for free from Adobe.
    CS2 did not ship with RAW capability but was added later.

try this linky

:smashin:

Note: you should read the install instructions carefully because it involves some manual deletion of old files first.

15. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Thanks for that link, However with Rawshooters and Canons DPP already on the system it is one more software to learn. :eek:

It however seems very up to date on cameras and replaces past incarnations even supporting PSE3

But its great plus is being a plug in for PS meaning everything happens with just one program

16. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Steve, Rawshooter essentials is still currently available for download. It is very easy to get to grips with and is also a superb way to get into shooting Raw. I was pretty daunted at first when it came to taking pictures in Raw format but this software makes it so worthwhile that I mostly only shoot Raw now. Give it a try mate, I'll put money on it that you won't be sorry :)

17. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Cheers, just done that and need to get out now and take some RAW images so I can see if it works :laugh:

Thanks bowenjones, i'll be on it tomorrow........I have an idea for the competition :clap:

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    I've had that Rawshooter Essentials for a while but never managed to suss out how to save the image. Am I just being thick here :rolleyes:

19. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Hi John.
    When you're ready to convert an image to jpeg and want to save, just click on the Batch Convert tab and click on Add. The picture will then be saved in your Raw image folder under a sub-folder called "Converted". You will then be able to view the jpeg through your regular picture browser by selecting the "Converted" sub-folder. Does that make sense :rolleyes: :laugh:

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    Aha, that explains it then. I was looking for a File/Save As menu options and couldn't find one. Thanks.

21. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I rate Rawshooter but it's a dead duck now and I wouldn't bother learning it from today. Look at either Lightroom, Capture One or Bibble for the PC, and add Aperture to that list for the Mac. All will take a little while to suss, but all will output better quality files than Rawshooter.

In terms of IQ it's good but not brilliant, and I used it mainly because of speed of processing on my old PC. I wouldn't use it today. Other apps are being developed all the time, and Rawshooter stopped development about 6 months ago. If you do learn it and buy a new camera it won't be supported and you'll HAVE to learn another app anyway.

22. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Guy,
    I pointed Steve in the direction of Rawshooter essentials as it's a very easy and free way of getting into editing with Raw.
    I have Lightroom Beta and agree that it does provide better quality files and is also a much better all round program with a lot more features but it seems to run very slow on my PC compared to Rawshooter. Perhaps it's because I haven't got the latest version or, more than likely, I have too much junk on it. Do you have any idea if Adobe will release a stripped down free version of this once it gets officially released as I have a feeling that it isn't going to come cheap?

23. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    It certainly is that!

As for Lightroom I doubt it. It seems that £100-150 will be the price point and that it'll be going head to head with the likes of Aperture. It is marketed as a workflow solution rather than just a RAW converter. As you say though, it's a shame that there's not a cheap/free and fast solution. Lightroom spped is still an issue - I wonder if it'll be one of those apps that just needs power from day one?

24. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Used RAW shooter in the past and just started using the plugin for CS2 so I can do it all in one so to speak :)

Also don't forget the raw plugin for Winbloze so you can view thumbnails etc, makes it easier to figure which shots are which :)

25. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I was going to ask why the RAW plugin for CS2 wasn't the preferred option over a seperate program. Is it not as good as say, RAWshooter and why?

26. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I do find RS easier to use and has more conversion option available off the bat but it does add another step in the process. Have to test it on my main machine at the 8.2" screen on the laptop doesn't work too well with it :(

The thing with CS2 and the plugin is that you can load the image and manipulate it prior to conversion so should allow for greater adjustment :)

27. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Canons Digital Photo Professional ( now on ver 2.2) seems boring and daunting to use but If you have any of the Canon DSLRs it is really worth giving a little look .

I use it a lot more now than I used to and.. it is free ( with the Canon DSLRs) It is a bit of an unsung hero especially as it is now much improved

If you have an hr to spare and a coffee, there are worse ways of killing the time:D

Online tutorials may be found Here you can use them offline if you have Quicktime Pro as you can save them .
    Otherwise I have them on my HDD and can burn them on a CD for whoever is interested: just PM;)

28. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I've still got version 1.6 from when I bought my 350D, do you know if there's any way of updating it?

29. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Here
    Under the drivers /software link. It is a busy site so you may have to try a few times

The update For DPP is there along with updates for Zoom browser, EOS browser and utility ( for remote capture )

30. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yah on-board is nasty! Ever since I got my little studio setup it's hard going back to small flash :)

K.