On-wall surround speakers at 1.8 meters high

debt collector

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a pair of surround speakers to make up a 5.2 system. I am aware that ideally the surround speakers should be placed at ear level but that isn't possible. Would I get good results if I place a pair of on-wall surround speakers at 1.8 metres from floor level? Is so what speakers would work at that configuration?

Last edited:
1.8m is about the right height for surrounds in a 5.2 system.

The ear height recommendation is for bed level surrounds in an Atmos system that also uses tops/heights to ensure that they have sufficient separation.

1.8m is about the right height for surrounds in a 5.2 system.

The ear height recommendation is for bed level surrounds in an Atmos system that also uses tops/heights to ensure that they have sufficient separation.
Understood. Would ceiling speakers also work in a 5.2 system?

So at the point that I might want to add the tops speakers to have a 5.2.2 I will have to reposition the surround speakers at ear level to have sufficient separation. Is that right?

Understood. Would ceiling speakers also work in a 5.2 system?
Yes, but only surrounds. LCRs would be terrible. I did with surround sides/backs once in my last property due to a lack of other options but it's nowhere near as good.

So at the point that I might want to add the tops speakers to have a 5.2.2 I will have to reposition the surround speakers at ear level to have sufficient separation. Is that right?
Yes. Yes, so about 30cm above ear height as bed level surrounds in an Atmos system with tops/heights and 60-90cm in a non-Atmos (e.g. 5.1/7.1) system.

I’m afraid I’m not familiar with any wireless speakers. I’ve always used wired surround speakers from the same brand/range as the LCR channels.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom