On-Wall Speaker Purchase Advice

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Hi,

I am a newcomer to the Hi-Fi world and need some help on choosing the right system. I recently purchased a Ruark MR1 MK2 for my PC and have been using them constantly, so would love to add some more high quality audio to my place!

I have recently moved into a new property and want to purchase a sound system for my TV feature wall. This will situated in an open plan kitchen, I understand that this is not the ideal place to have a sound system and will impact the sound.

When researching the system I came across a thread from @bennyav , the feature wall I am designing is going to be very similar to the images in his thread.
(Building my first cinema room)

The main purpose of the system will be listening to music and a key concern for me is saving space. A white colour scheme would be an added bonus too.

My budget is roughly £2,000.

As I want to save space and create a streamline feature wall I have been drawn to 'on-wall' speakers, as several top companies have an on-wall offering and they fit the bill of saving space whilst providing high quality sound.

However, they are not as popular therefore reviews and information are much more limited, and as a newcomer to the Hi-Fi world - it is making this purchase rather daunting!

My initial thoughts is to purchase the following 3.1 system,
Dali appear to have a very strong reputation, I love their aesthetics, they come under my budget and the thread I mentioned above has swung me towards them however I understand there are similar systems from Spirit, KEF etc

Any advice and thoughts on the above system would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the layout of the room (ignore the island), it's a work in progress at the moment.

Attachments

• Layout .jpg
    Layout .jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Hopefully After.jpg
    Hopefully After.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 71

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Sadly Benny has been online last time March so probably won´t be replying, but let´s hope he has email notification on. There isn´t that many similar options. Monitor Audio has SoundFrame but they are more expensive. The Kef T-range is ultra thin so won´t have similar performance to larger vented Dalis. ATC has the HTS7, M&K has the M70 but both are over your budget. XTZ Spirit is similar, but Benny had them side by side and the Dalis were lot better for him. We have already seen that Oberon range are very popular with lively bright sound so the on-wall version shouldn´t be any different, they just rely bit more on subwoofer.

However if you could somehow up your budget for the soon discontinued mk1 version of Dali Opticon LCR then this would be the way to go without doubt! They are on sale now. Quite a bit larger cabs with larger mid-bass drivers and dual tweeter (soft dome/ribbon). Naturally the gains would be noticeable for 2ch listening.

Not sure where the tv and couch is. Can you modify the picture and show where each thing goes?

Personally i would consider Yamaha RX-V6A, very similar to Denon feature wise but lot of Denon owners haven´t been happy with it `s 2ch performance so here the Yamaha can be better. Yamaha also offers preouts for front channels so integrated amp in future is then possible to add for making the system sound even better for music listening, with Denon it ain`t!

Keep in mind that you get discount from the 3 speakers and receiver bought together! You should always go to talk with shop manager and ask him to make you price that you can´t say no to. You can and you should ask deals from other shops too if you don´t have to buy from RS. Peter Tyson sells those same products for example.

As for subwoofer you mentioned your usage being mostly music which may of course change as the new system will be so enjoyable for movies and shows. Anyway i would swap the P12 to XXLS400 if possible. The price difference is very small, but again people have felt the XXLS400 has the edge when it comes to purely 2ch listening. It uses beefier amp and also higher quality Peerless driver. Keep in mind that BK Electronics will soon leave summer vacation so get your order in so you don´t have to wait until end of summer. I would always call them before ordering and asking do they have any of those woofers you decide to buy ready or will they have to build it and do you get it soon or not. Notice also the cabinet dimensions on FF vs. DF.

paulw77

I too was looking at the Opticon LCR Mk1. I emailed Exceptional AV twice asking if they had any stock and didn't get a reply. There are lots of Trustpilot reviews where people have ordered other items from their website and then been told that they don't actually have any stock.

I got a similar (lack of) response from Home AV Direct when enquiring about stock of the Opticon LCR Mk1s.

Make of that what you will.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Sadly Benny has been online last time March so probably won´t be replying, but let´s hope he has email notification on. There isn´t that many similar options. Monitor Audio has SoundFrame but they are more expensive. The Kef T-range is ultra thin so won´t....

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply, it's much appreciated @Gasp3621

I think you're spot on regarding Dali being the top choice for me. My budget could certainly stretch to include the Opticon Mk1's, exceptional AV's website says that they would dispatch this Thursday - so I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm if they do indeed have stock!

Your suggestions on the subwoofer and the AVR make complete sense too, so I'm happy to follow your advice on them.

The only issue is that I would need to purchase the Opticons, Yamaha and XXLS400 across different retailers and therefore would be looking at a price of around £2,246 (hopefully a little less if I can agree some deals). However, the Oberon on-walls, Dali centre and Yamaha AVR can all be purchased from the same retailer therefore I would be able to benefit from getting deals on purchasing multiple items from the one place.

I reached out to a few places before making my original post and received the following deals,
  • Dali Oberon On-Wall, Dali Oberon Vokal Centre, Dali E9-F, Denon AVRX2700H - £1,700
  • Dali Oberon On-Wall(x2), Dali Oberon Vokal Centre, Dali E9-F, Denon AVRX2700H - £2,050
I am sure I would be able to get a similar deal even after removing the E9-F sub and changing the AVR from the Denon to the Yamaha.

Therefore, in your opinion is £2,246 for the Opticon MK1 set-up worth the premium over a £1,700 Oberon On Wall set up?

Additionally, the couch would be set up roughly where the kitchen island is shown on the OP layout image. I have already purchased the TV (Sony 75" KD75XH9505BU), it is going on a kitchen feature wall with a fancy fireplace - image attached to give you a rough idea of what it would look like.

Attachments

• featurewall2.jpeg
    featurewall2.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 66

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
I too was looking at the Opticon LCR Mk1. I emailed Exceptional AV twice asking if they had any stock and didn't get a reply. There are lots of Trustpilot reviews where people have ordered other items from their website and then been told that they don't actually have any stock.

I got a similar (lack of) response from Home AV Direct when enquiring about stock of the Opticon LCR Mk1s.

Make of that what you will.

Thanks for the information Paul, Exceptional AV's website mentions that the Opticon LCR Mk1's would dispatch on Thursday, I'm not sure how accurate that is so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to find out.

Will let you know their response.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the detailed and informative reply, it's much appreciated @Gasp3621

I think you're spot on regarding Dali being the top choice for me. My budget could certainly stretch to include the Opticon Mk1's, exceptional AV's website says that they would dispatch this Thursday - so I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm if they do indeed have stock!

Your suggestions on the subwoofer and the AVR make complete sense too, so I'm happy to follow your advice on them.

The only issue is that I would need to purchase the Opticons, Yamaha and XXLS400 across different retailers and therefore would be looking at a price of around £2,246 (hopefully a little less if I can agree some deals). However, the Oberon on-walls, Dali centre and Yamaha AVR can all be purchased from the same retailer therefore I would be able to benefit from getting deals on purchasing multiple items from the one place.

I reached out to a few places before making my original post and received the following deals,
  • Dali Oberon On-Wall, Dali Oberon Vokal Centre, Dali E9-F, Denon AVRX2700H - £1,700
  • Dali Oberon On-Wall(x2), Dali Oberon Vokal Centre, Dali E9-F, Denon AVRX2700H - £2,050
I am sure I would be able to get a similar deal even after removing the E9-F sub and changing the AVR from the Denon to the Yamaha.

Therefore, in your opinion is £2,246 for the Opticon MK1 set-up worth the premium over a £1,700 Oberon On Wall set up?

Additionally, the couch would be set up roughly where the kitchen island is shown on the OP layout image. I have already purchased the TV (Sony 75" KD75XH9505BU), it is going on a kitchen feature wall with a fancy fireplace - image attached to give you a rough idea of what it would look like.

If they are available then yes they are the better speakers for sure. But you might need to use the Opticon Vokal (mk1) as you probably don`t have space for Opticon LCR center channel horizontally. Sadly no white finish anymore..

Left Oberon, Right Opticon LCR:

dali.jpg

paulw77

I gave them a call, they said that they don’t have any Dali Opticon LCR Mk1 speakers in stock. They tried to get more but weren’t successful.

I can’t see them available on any online retailer sadly :(

Pretty much as I expected and backs up the various Trustpilot reviews. They are still listed on their website for purchase. Pretty poor business practices if you ask me.

decto

I gave them a call, they said that they don’t have any Dali Opticon LCR Mk1 speakers in stock. They tried to get more but weren’t successful.

I can’t see them available on any online retailer sadly :(

Pretty much as I expected and backs up the various Trustpilot reviews. They are still listed on their website for purchase. Pretty poor business practices if you ask me.

Hi,

By chance I'd ordered 2x Opticon LCR and an Opticon Vokal from ExceptionalAV last week. I'm sure Gasp3621 must be getting a Dali kick back... :D if not, then one is due.

The day after I ordered, I got a call to say the Opticon Mk1 was not in stock, but I was offered the Mk2 at an excellent price so I agreed. Took a week for stock to arrive but they are now dispatched and I have notification from the courier. Given the very minor cost differential, I'd have taken the Mk2 over the Mk1 anyway.

I'm guessing there is a little sharp practice going on, you could call it bait and switch... that may be a touch harsh. However I do suspect that retailers are forced to only offer RRP to avoid devaluing brands while they may have some more 'flexibility' in offering an alternative to an ordered but discontinued product. Hence this may be a sharp way to move some volume....

Anyhow, if like me you have a budget, it may be worth ordering the Mk1 on a credit card (for section 75 protection) and then see what offer you get. Worst case it's a few days for the refund to be processed. Just be aware next day delivery is unlikely to be an option if they need to source... but if you don't mind a short wait, you could get a great deal.

There is other feedback that suggests the same offer has been made to others, perhaps not on the same speakers. And if you look at the negatives, they quickly go back several years where as there is a fair amount of positive recent feeback. As more unhappy people complain than happy people provide feedback, it doesn't look too bad.

Anyhow, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom