On-wall active speakers

DT79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any on-wall active speakers? I have my home cinema set up in the extension off the kitchen which also serves as a living room and when we decorated I had all my wiring installed but at the time in a failure of foresight I only wired up with RCA for signal as I was using active speakers. The speakers are still going strong and sound great, but they’re quite obtrusive, especially hanging off big black metal brackets.

I’ve been thinking that it would look much more discrete if I could get some purpose made on-wall speakers, but I’m struggling to find any of the active variety. In fact the only one’s I’ve been able to find are the Dali Oberon C, which visually would fit the bill perfectly, but appear to be wireless and stereo only.

Any ideas?

Only an idea but could you not chop the ends off the RCA cables and use them as speaker cable instead??

From looking at RCA cables they have a copper core - so should carry a signal like a speaker cable. As I say not a perfect solution and maybe worth trying with a spare RCA before butchering the RCA's fitted in your wall but you could then look at something like these...

Only an idea but could you not chop the ends off the RCA cables and use them as speaker cable instead??

From looking at RCA cables they have a copper core - so should carry a signal like a speaker cable. As I say not a perfect solution and maybe worth trying with a spare RCA before butchering the RCA's fitted in your wall but you could then look at something like these...

Thanks, the thought had occurred to me, but i'm not sure it's going to be a great solution. Is the cross section of the copper and insulation type sufficient for speaker cable currents... and some of the runs have got to be getting on for 7m.

Before someone says it, I did think about using the mains wiring as speaker cabling as there is a master on/off on the wall plate behind the AVR, so I wondered if all the wires went there, perhaps I could liberate them, but my sparky confirmed he daisy-chained the power from one speaker to the next, so that's a non-starter.

Hi!

I've just finished a video on this.

The DALI Oberon C system is powered / active and they have an on-wall speaker.

You can also have up to 7.1ch surround with it.

The DALI Sound Hub + Equi HDMI module is what you would need if you wanted multi-channel. Else the Sound Hub Compact (with HDMI) is perfect for just a stereo pair.

We're a DALI dealer - if I can help, drop me a DM :)

Last edited:
Hi!

I've just finished a video on this.

The DALI Oberon C system is powered / active and they have an on-wall speaker.

You can also have up to 7.1ch surround with it.

The DALI Sound Hub + Equi HDMI module is what you would need if you wanted multi-channel. Else the Sound Hub Compact (with HDMI) is perfect for just a stereo pair.

We're a DALI dealer - if I can help, drop me a DM :)

Amazing! I’ll check them out. I’m not opposed to wireless as long as it’s lossless and genuinely reliable. Thanks!

I have my Beolab18's on the wall and connected wirelessly via a WiSA soundsend box, amazing sound , very wife friendly and very easy on the eye.

Amazing! I’ll check them out. I’m not opposed to wireless as long as it’s lossless and genuinely reliable. Thanks!

Yes - lossless audio.
I've spent about 3 months with the "Equi" solution (HDMI eARC inc DTS/Dolby Surround) which gives up to 7.1 surround. There are two modes of operation: convenience (wider, further apart listening) and performance (high resolution, lossless up to 10-12m).

No issues with lip sync or channel drop out etc :)

Yes - lossless audio.
I've spent about 3 months with the "Equi" solution (HDMI eARC inc DTS/Dolby Surround) which gives up to 7.1 surround. There are two modes of operation: convenience (wider, further apart listening) and performance (high resolution, lossless up to 10-12m).

No issues with lip sync or channel drop out etc :)
OK, I’ve checked this out, perhaps you would be kind enough to confirm I understand this correctly.

Currently I have a 5.2 system with everything wired to my Arcam AVR 390 (operating as a processor) with Dirac room correction. It sounds great, so what I mainly want to achieve is to have more discreet on wall speakers as opposed to ‘bookshelf’ speakers on ugly wall brackets.

With the Oberon C system, it’ll be a 5.1 system. The hub with Equi solution caters only for HDMI ARC and eARC, so I could connect all my sources to my TV and connect to the Dali Hub via eARC, giving me up to DTS-HD MA and Dolby TruHD quality. I would lose 1 sub and any room correction (which I do appreciate as the room is not very good acoustically).

Am I right in thinking that the Vokal C can’t be wall mounted, but would have to sit on a cabinet beneath the TV? That would not be a big deal.

Thanks
Dan

I have my Beolab18's on the wall and connected wirelessly via a WiSA soundsend box, amazing sound , very wife friendly and very easy on the eye.
Is that a stereo set-up?

I think I could do something in 5.1 with nice B&O wall mounted speakers, but I’d need a B&O TV, right?

I’ll check out WiSA options.

Ideally I want to carry on using the Arcam AVR390 as a processor and get the benefits of room correction and then from there connect to the speakers. Whether they are wired or wireless makes no difference to me (as long as the latter is reliable).

OK, I’ve checked this out, perhaps you would be kind enough to confirm I understand this correctly.

Currently I have a 5.2 system with everything wired to my Arcam AVR 390 (operating as a processor) with Dirac room correction. It sounds great, so what I mainly want to achieve is to have more discreet on wall speakers as opposed to ‘bookshelf’ speakers on ugly wall brackets.

With the Oberon C system, it’ll be a 5.1 system. The hub with Equi solution caters only for HDMI ARC and eARC, so I could connect all my sources to my TV and connect to the Dali Hub via eARC, giving me up to DTS-HD MA and Dolby TruHD quality. I would lose 1 sub and any room correction (which I do appreciate as the room is not very good acoustically).

Am I right in thinking that the Vokal C can’t be wall mounted, but would have to sit on a cabinet beneath the TV? That would not be a big deal.

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan

Yes - your understanding is correct.
Note - is your current setup a 5.1 with 2 subs? You can implement 2 subs (with 2 x DALI WSR modules) but it'll be a mono feed.
Alternatively, you can use the pre-outs on the DALI Sound hub to give you a left and right mix (underpinning the front left and right speakers) too ;) But that then becomes a hybrid wired / wireless system.

I have raised the point of room correction a number of times - I am hopeful that something will come of it in a later software release :)

The Vokal C cannot be wall mounted. You can utilise any speaker however in any position - so you could use the Vokal C as LCR's effectively (or just as a wall mounted centre). But yes - under a TV is the usual place for them.

You'll spot the Sound Hub here to the left of the VOKAL C.

1644450166370.png

Is that a stereo set-up?

I think I could do something in 5.1 with nice B&O wall mounted speakers, but I’d need a B&O TV, right?

I’ll check out WiSA options.

Ideally I want to carry on using the Arcam AVR390 as a processor and get the benefits of room correction and then from there connect to the speakers. Whether they are wired or wireless makes no difference to me (as long as the latter is reliable).
Hi, The Wisa soundsend since the recent update allows you to choose from stereo 2.0 all the way to a 7.1 system in all there are 9 choices, so it is multi unlike some which are stereo only. It also allows you to adjust speaker distances, placement and many other tools it has, It is connected to my recently bought Hisence 55" A9G TV, so you do not need a B&o TV, any smart TV will do I believe. Viewing and listening to YouTube has really been a totally new experience, some of the HD music sites are incredible.

Hi, The Wisa soundsend since the recent update allows you to choose from stereo 2.0 all the way to a 7.1 system in all there are 9 choices, so it is multi unlike some which are stereo only. It also allows you to adjust speaker distances, placement and many other tools it has, It is connected to my recently bought Hisence 55" A9G TV, so you do not need a B&o TV, any smart TV will do I believe. Viewing and listening to YouTube has really been a totally new experience, some of the HD music sites are incredible.
That sounds good, very like the Dali system in that it’s based on an HDMI ARC/eARC input, so unfortunately that limits it in the same way for me.

Although having a separate system with wall
Mounted stereo B&O speakers does seem tempting!

Having attempted to re-run Dirac yesterday only to be thwarted by 1) my AVRs infuriating flakiness where it comes to achieving and maintaining its network connection and 2) Dirac’s refusal to recognise any input from my microphone, I updated the AVR firmware and factory reset it, only to find the same issues persisting, so now I am without room correction altogether.

I am reminded how essential it is in my room, so unfortunately until someone comes up with a WiSA compatible adapter that takes a multichannel pre-out signal, or a pair of wired active on-wall speakers, I’m going to to have to stick with the speakers I’ve got, and prioritise a new AV amp/processor.

I’m gonna throw a bit of a wild card out here…

Have you considered a Sonos system…?

The options are pretty good in what you can run ie a sound bar at the front with some play 1/3/5’s at the rears or a couple of play 5’s at the front with a sub etc.

I’m currently running a Sonos system in the lounge (23ft x 14ft) which has a Sonos beam under the TV - 2 x play 1’s at the rear and the sub behind the sofa.

Not a patch on my dedicated cinema room but is still very very good indeed and I’ve just gone for the basic set up!!

It’s got the room EQ although again fairly basic compared to the likes of Dirac still gives a noticeable improvement.

Obviously the big benefits are…

No messing with wiring apart from a power lead.

Look very smart once fitted

No need for separate amps etc

Very reliable once up and running.

I’m more than happy with mine in the lounge - yes it could be bettered for the money and is certainly a ‘lifestyle’ system but it does exactly what I want / need!

I’m gonna throw a bit of a wild card out here…

Have you considered a Sonos system…?

The options are pretty good in what you can run ie a sound bar at the front with some play 1/3/5’s at the rears or a couple of play 5’s at the front with a sub etc.

I’m currently running a Sonos system in the lounge (23ft x 14ft) which has a Sonos beam under the TV - 2 x play 1’s at the rear and the sub behind the sofa.

Not a patch on my dedicated cinema room but is still very very good indeed and I’ve just gone for the basic set up!!

It’s got the room EQ although again fairly basic compared to the likes of Dirac still gives a noticeable improvement.

Obviously the big benefits are…

No messing with wiring apart from a power lead.

Look very smart once fitted

No need for separate amps etc

Very reliable once up and running.

I’m more than happy with mine in the lounge - yes it could be bettered for the money and is certainly a ‘lifestyle’ system but it does exactly what I want / need!
Not a bad suggestion, but this is my main home cinema room, so the best quality I can achieve for the money I’m willing to spend is top priority.

Hi

What you’re asking for is a wireless hub with individual inputs (like a wireless amp). I’ve spoken to 2 major players in this area and this isn’t on their roadmap…

It’s very niche - wireless is generally about simplification and “plug and play”.

That’s not to say it won’t happen with another brand that I’m not personally in contact with but your options will be really limited.

Not worth getting someone in to install your rear speakers and conceal your cables for you?

Hi

What you’re asking for is a wireless hub with individual inputs (like a wireless amp). I’ve spoken to 2 major players in this area and this isn’t on their roadmap…

It’s very niche - wireless is generally about simplification and “plug and play”.

That’s not to say it won’t happen with another brand that I’m not personally in contact with but your options will be really limited.

Not worth getting someone in to install your rear speakers and conceal your cables for you?
Thanks - it is a niche ask, but if you remember where I started was in wanting on-wall active speakers, not necessarily wireless ones, as I already have cables installed and just want something more discreet. The recommendations were for wireless speakers as they seem to be the only options for on-wall actives.

If it’s just a single pair of rear active, then the DALI with the sound hub compact is all you need.

It has RCA inputs - supports only a single pair of speakers so would do what you need.

You wouldn’t necessarily need the cables at the back of the room (ie RCA) as the hub could be on top of your anthem.

Take a look part way down this blog post for a pic of it :)

If it’s just a single pair of rear active, then the DALI with the sound hub compact is all you need.

It has RCA inputs - supports only a single pair of speakers so would do what you need.

You wouldn’t necessarily need the cables at the back of the room (ie RCA) as the hub could be on top of your anthem.

Take a look part way down this blog post for a pic of it :)

I see what you mean. OK.....so, could I use one Sound Hub Compact for a pair of Oberon on-wall Cs for the rear, a second SHC for a pair of OOWCs for the front, and then a passive Vokal wired normally for the Centre...?

Yep - that would all work as you suggest :)
OK cool. I'm going to seriously look at that, but i might have to leave it a little while now as I have splurged far more than I should on AV gear already this year. I'll give you a shout for sure if I do go for it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom