• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

On the water

xeon

Standard Member
Ok so it was such a nice day today i got straight back from school and took my camera into that park. I just wanted to show you guys this to see what you think, feel free to tell me its rubbish if u think it is.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I would have cropped out some of the foreground and tried to lighten some of the shadow on the ducklings face, sorry :rolleyes:

SomeVorn

Established Member
Hmm, if you've shot in raw, then JohnAlex's suggestion would help but the main problem I suspect is simply time of day and the strength of the sun reflected off the subject.

Those fluffy feathers are absorbing a lot of light, that water is reflecting a lot of light - producing an composition that is almost impossible to photograph without losing a lot of detail through shadow or highlights. Get out earlier in the mornings or later in the evenings - or just wait for a duller day.

I like your composition but I would have tried to fit something more into the foreground. And of course - good choice of subject. Fluffy baby animals are always photogenic.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
I'd take about a third off the bottom and try and get some detail back in from the shadows, as SomeVorn has said, very difficult to get the exposure spot on but probably workable in post processing. I like the depth of field which has thrown the bird in the background out of focus.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom