1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the verge of an LCD!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by barneybelly, Aug 22, 2005.

1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    I have been having a good old read of your inputs on lcd and as a newbie have come up with a couple of questions.
    I am on the verge of purchasing a new tv as about to move house and need one!!
    I was 30 seconds away from pressing the order button on the Tosh crt 36zp46 but then learned abaout HDTV.
    Am not keen on plasma so looks like am gonna go for a 32" LCD.
    Does HDMI mean its HD ready?
    I will be using the tv purely for films and tv (via a sky box..not plus as i have a panny hd dvd recorder.) So i will not require it to hook up to my pc or xbox/ps2 etc!!!
    I have seen a few like the samsungLE32R41B (that thread is soooooo long) but for a newbie half of the inputs are going right over my head!!
    So any kind of recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My budget is limited with moving house but i could work extra overtime at a push if required.
    Thanks

Dave

2. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys...maybe too much info....i just wanna know is the samsung 32" lcd a good model to use for just tv and dvd? Am not gonna use it 4 anything else as xbox, ps2 in another room.
    If not the samsung then what else for under £1200?

Also...is hdmi hdtv ready?

3. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't know about the samsung LCD, but i do know that HDMI stands for "High Definition Multi-media Interface". Basically, it's the connection point used for High Definition sources.

So in a sense, YES, HMDI does mean "High Definition ready" IF the HDMI port also includes "HDCP" (Copy Protection) which you'll need if you want to view Sky HD in the near future because their source will be copy protected.

Most LCD sets sold today that say "HD ready" have both the requirements: HDMI, with HDCP.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    HD Ready is a user guide to ascertain certain commonalities.
    The basic premise is that ALL HD Ready TVs be able to display a 1280x720p and 1920x1080i picture, have HDMI or DVI-HDCP socket(s) and Component input.
    If the TV has those requirements met, then it's HD Ready. Older displays without HDMI or HDCP on the DVI input, can still display non copyright protected HD material via the Component and VGA/DVI inputs, but these will be analog rather than digital.
    So, to make your life as easy as possible, get a HD Ready Tv, and check the specs to make sure it conforms - there's a few (lesser) manufacturers trying to claim HD Ready which is an abuse of the trust of using the HD Ready sticker. Some will state it as HD compliant/compatible or HDTV - thankfully this is lessening - which goes back to my point above about non copyright protected material (analog).

Most DVD players when they become HD versions o either format, will output SD over Component even if the material is HD copyrighted. Therefore, the only way to view HD discs will be via HDMI or DVI-HDCP. Sky will provide Component outputs on the new HD Sky+ box, but it will be of limited use as the stuff that people will want to watch most will be output only via the HDMI connection so as to preserve the copy protection mechanism.

As for the Samsung - not a bad telly, but would encourage you to look at the likes of Sharp GA6, JVC DS6, Sony V series, and Panny DX500. Some others have opted for Hitachi 7200, which has been doing well on the review accolades, apparently.