1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the threshold buyer... fell off

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by spicy_fajita, Feb 9, 2005.

1. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd post my experience for all those people on the verge of making a purchase but still floating between options.

Well after my projector turned into a strobe light and was not worth the fixing I fell out with projectors for their fragility. Too few hours a day for too few years (No better way of watching a movie but too expensive and fragile). So then I considered a plasma. Well, after reaming through the forums (the forums were my source of information for projectors as well - great and wise forums!!) I decided on one of the Pannys. Then I saw £1250 for the 42PWD6 in Richer sounds. After a few phone calls with them I decided not to, they act as if its them doing you the favour and are less than helpful.

I then saw the offer in AV-Sales £1514 for the 7 series with a stand, emmm, wallet is rumbling. So after numerous private messages (I don't like the abbreviation PMS) to Alastair at AV-Sales who was more than helpful I decided on,

Charcoal 42PWD7 & stand
    JS RGB -> YUV converter
    Dual board - Compoent, S-Video, Composite
    Total = £1720

I decided on the YUV converter instead of the VGA as I'll be feeding in a PC connection and didn't want to be switching on the VGA port and I thought the component/s-video/composite board will be more useful when selling the unit in the future to a more traditional TV user.

I've just placed the order and I'll post again when it arrives, and when I've set it up and played with it for a while, and as with Jerry some final thoughts. For now though some points,

AV-sales and particularily Alastair were very helpful even though I tortured him with messages about warranties and delivery. The panasonic 1 yr manufacturer warranty is on site loan replacement which is great. I was considering extended warranty but panasonic quoted me £400 on one occasion and £560 on another occasion, when I register I'll post what they finally offer. This is for an extra 2 years (three years in total) but does include accidental dammage but is a bit ridculous. It's over a third the price of the plasma!! Extended on-site loan replacement from AV-Sales for the same period is only £180 which in my opinion is a bargain. I'm in N. ireland and unfortunately can't avail of it but pricing around it sems a bargain. Living in N. Ireland also means that I have to pay extra for delivery ( :offtopic: I hate sites that don't mark this properly or ones you have to go all the way to the checkout before you get slapped with a massive extra shipping fee - AV-Sales list as UK mainland all over their site so you know where you stand) but to be fair to AV-Sales they gave me a decent price and the AVForums offer is really good for this plasma anyway, and then the terminal board price I also saved money.

So as you can tell, buyers regret has not settled in (good thing as its only been half an hour) but now I can't wait til it arrives but once it does I'll thow in my 2 cents on the pic quality etc. To those still toying with the idea of buying your first plasma, this seems like a really good offer. Don't be dismayed by talk of HD compatibility, cries of screen burn etc. Just go for it... or wait until mine arrives and I'll post if its all a big mistake!

2. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D just ordered my panpwd7 from avsales too!!! so i'm with you mate. avsales blokeproper helpful, received an e-mail confirming a delivery date within an hour of ordering which i find incredible. it's coming on friday, my techwood is not going back til sunday so'i'll have to find a new house with all the boxes i've got everywhere!!! nice problem to have tho'. I took a 2 year extended warrenty, can't be bad really. very nervous, hope the screen is worth my pennies. nervous excitement, it's like being a kid before xmas again!! :D

3. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woo hoo someone in the same boat. For me its a lot of money so I'm praying that its worth it but from the reviews it should be. I never got a ring though confirming delivery date. What time of day did you order yours, maybe because I ordered mine in the evening I'll get mine tomorrow. Alastair if you're reading can you confirm this?

Spicy

4. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered it at 4 o clock and had an e-mailwaiting for me at 5 ish when i got home!!

5. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaaggh, I have to wait until thursday - my current 28in 4:3 TV is going to have to do for another 6 days. The sooner global warming evaporates/freezes the oceans and the normal couriers can just drive to NI the better - only joking of course, I do my fair share of recycling, but,

slightly off topic, do any of you ever feel guilty of the amiount of power they are using powering all their A/V equipment, amps, projectors, plasmas etc globble quite a bit of energy!

6. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i can barely sleep nights!! :blush:

7. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, my lecky meter does an excellent impression of a helicopter!

Anyone had their lecky bill recently? I was quite shocked at how high it was, compared to previous bills. Hadn't power gone up 15% back along?

8. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it arrived... first impressions... holy ****!!! Ok I may have just realised that I've never had a really good TV... until now.

To recap I ordered and received yesterday,

42PWD7 + Free Desk stand
    JS RGB -> Component Converter
    Dual Slot Component/SVideo/Composite board

Big thanks to AV-Sales, all arrived on the day they specified, two deliveries, one for the boards and stands with CityLink and another later in the day with a special carrier. The free desk stand is grand and comes with all the washers and things you'll need to connect it to your plasma. The only problem I have with the stand are the little feet on it. They are six self adhesive small plastic "buttons" (about the size of a chocolate chip). When positioning the plasma on its table and doing minor adjustments two of the little feet came off before we realised that we weren't lifting it off the table enough. They are sitting under it again and it won't be moved again for a while but I'm sure they'll come off again when the machine is transported next. I'll have to send off to the company for a few more.

So putting the stand up was very handy and then placing the plasma face down on a table cloth and afixing the stand was also easy (although I got my brother to hold the stand as I screwed it in - 2 minutes). So a few more tweaks, everything plugged in and tidying up the room to have the best first impression, I switched it on. oooohhh... beautiful.... but no picture?? Oh yes forgot to plug sky in. Ok sky plugged in... no picture... oh yes its not set to RGB mode (I was watching sky on composite on my old TV though an amp). After a few minutes of trying to switch to RGB through memory I hooked the sky into my old TV and switched it to RGB. Oh my god. The picture was unbelieveable. Placing all picture settings at zero, flicking to cinema mode the picture was stunning. Comparing colours with my old TV it was crazy. Picture that I thought was fine you could now compare to what it should be. Skin tones were skin colour on the plasma and yellow on the TV, Trying to fiddle with the picture settings on the TV did nothing. I know a lot of this will be using the RGB to component signal compared to composite but alot of it is the the difference in quality of the units as I had tried the RGB signal on the TV. It is a cheap 4:3 TV but the difference was amazing. The colours were all vibrant and contours clearly defined and no convergence problems that became so apparent on my CRT (really crazy what you get used to over time) when compared side by side. Going to BBC news 24 and looking at the red gradient title bars I could see no banding. There is some solarization (I think thats the term) around very bright objects such as the sky info box but its only about pixel wide and compared to the TV its unbelieveable. Out of the box I am a very very very very happy customer. I thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone. I do believe that the JS unit is cleaning up the image, although I have nothing to compare it to, the quality is so good I'd be surprised if it wasn't doing something (I went for the RGB -> component so I could hook my PC up to the VGA port on the unit).

PC connected looked fantastic. I was only using 800x600 resolution as I haven't got round to matching the resolutions (I'll post about the results of this later) but I was surprised at how good the image was with this unmatched resolution. Undecipherable text on the CRT TV was really clear and the DVD playback was fantastic. We watched Hero last night and the colours were just amazing (for those who haven't seen it this movie has long scenes with very strong colour themes, strong presence of red, blue, green etc.).

So in conclusion, I haven't fiddled with it at all (except for minor playing to see what things do and fiddling with the Picture in picture which is very cool) and the results are really really impressive. I always have niggling feeliongs about my purchases but after about 20 minutes with this thing I was completely satisfied. I'm sure I'll pick out more faults over time but they will be minor (if any) and the picture is so good any changes to settings will be trivial.

Anyone on the verge - go and buy one you'll be happy :clap: and I thoroughly recommend AV-Sales :clap:

Also, a lot of people go on about the silver model, personally I prefer the charcoal and a friend who came over commented on the fact that it wasn't silver and how refreshing that was.

So I'm gonig to watch the barcelona match next week to see what the football is like (I don't watch footy but my brother is a fan and I want to see how it handles it) and I'll do some fiddling between now and then and I'll post some pictures and my opinions after I've cooled down a little bit.