Question On the hunt for a new television, help needed.

Gl3n84

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the hunt for a new television after having my 52" LG52LD550 for the last 6 years. I thought I could narrow my options down but quite frankly there is so much out there I honestly don't know where to start.

I have an L shaped living room so the distance from the sofa to where the TV will be is 10 feet.

HDR isn't important, though at that distance I have heard it would be pointless anyway.

Picture quality is very important and I will be mainly using the tv for streaming sports, movies etc, gaming and watching dvds so ideally I want something that has good motion clarity etc.

My budget is around £1000 give or take and brand doesn't really matter as long as it does the job. I don't want to get a certain tv if I'm hardly going to use certain features on it.

Like I said any recommendations would be good because it's been a while since I bought a tv.

Cheers

HDR isn't important, though at that distance I have heard it would be pointless anyway.

You're getting it mixed up with 4K/UHD there, which are about detail and thus dependant on the apparent size of the TV (diagonal/distance).

HDR is more about contrast and isn't distance-dependant. It does require HDR content though.

Which streaming services do you use? Not all TVs have apps for all services so it may be worth finding out which ones have built in support for the streams you watch so you don't have to have a second remote.

Why are you replacing your existing TV? Are you unhappy with it in some way or after something specific?

I use Now TV a lot, Netflix, currently using the apps on my PlayStation 4. The screen and sound are going on it. I have been fairy happy with it but I just feel I'm ready for a new one.

It also struggles to handle sport and some tv streaming.

For your use definitely the LG 910v OLED. Now TV has a max resolution of 720p and if you're streaming football it likely will be worse than 576p quality, you really don't want to watch anything sub 720p on a UHD TV if you can afford too as it will look worse.

But if you want decent HDR then a tv like the Samsung KS7000 is the best value at your budget.

thanks for the advice, I have been wondering if there was any point on getting a 4K tv just yet. Would you agree that I should maybe wait another few years for 4K content to become more widely available?

I am currently in the hunt for a new television after having my 52" LG52LD550 for the last 6 years. I thought I could narrow my options down but quite frankly there is so much out there I honestly don't know where to start.

I have an L shaped living room so the distance from the sofa to where the TV will be is 10 feet.

Picture quality is very important and I will be mainly using the tv for streaming sports, movies etc, gaming and watching dvds so ideally I want something that has good motion clarity etc.

My budget is around £1000 give or take and brand doesn't really matter as long as it does the job. I don't want to get a certain tv if I'm hardly going to use certain features on it.

Like I said any recommendations would be good because it's been a while since I bought a tv.

Cheers
you haven't mentioned size so i'll assume you are looking for something close to your current set.My recommendation would be an LG 55910v .I bought this set myself last year and so far have been very impressed I sit about 11 feet away from it and find it plenty big enough.It's not a UHD set but I dont believe that would give me any sort of improvement LG 55EG910V 55" Smart 3D Curved OLED TV - Stainless Steel

Yes I was after a 55 inch set if I could get one. Thank you for the post, I am very intrigued now. Did you get yourself a sound bar?

Yes I was after a 55 inch set if I could get one. Thank you for the post, I am very intrigued now. Did you get yourself a sound bar?
No, I have a 5.1 sound system although I find the inbuilt speaker not too bad so I use that sometimes.the one thing to be aware of is that you be careful when handling them because being so thin, they can break especially at the corners.I had mine attached to a wall bracket supplied specifically for this set and as the mains lead does not detach from the set, the plug was removed and the cable wired into a mains wall plate.

Last edited:
ve been to see the oled a few times but for some reason the picture isn't very bright, could this just be the settings in the show room? Slightly concerning because my living room is quite a light room so will this impact my viewing for during the day?

Any other models to consider?

It turns out my budget has increased somewhat from previously mentioned. I now have £1700 to play with, back dated pay is a wonderful thing

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom