1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On The High Street (24/02/2005)

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Marc, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I took another trip into town today, to find out what, if any, bargains were available. Here's what I found. I might try and make this a regular item if anyone's actually interested in high street prices. If anyone else has access to other DVD shops such as MVC or Blockbuster, please feel free to let us know what bargains are available in those shops.

Marc

Virgin Megastore
    Virgin are doing a pretty nice 4 for £20 deal, with a lot of titles you'd normally find in a 3 for £20 sale, or better; so for that reason i'd probably rate it best bargain on the street today. I bought four titles myself, namely Deep Impact special edition (With v nice slipcase), Manhunter 2 Disc Director's Cut, Twister :dts: and Torque. Other titles included American Pie ultimate edition, The Thomas Crown affair, Last of the Mohicans, Lake Placid, The Bourne Identity :dts:, Beetlejuice and lots more. To be honest, i found it a bit of a struggle to find four I wanted, but that's mainly because i have 700+ DVD's and have a large majority of the better titles already.

Sale rating: 7.5/10

HMV
    HMV are doing Buy One Get One Free on a large selection of titles, but as usual they've priced nearly everything at £19.99 or more, with only a handful of titles, Torque for instance, at £15.99. That being said, there are a few half decent items there which you wouldn't feel too hard done by spending £10 on, such as Panic Room 3 Disc special edition, Black Hawk Down 3 Disc Special edition and the Crocodile Dundee 1&2 Boxset.

Sale rating 5/10

Woolworths
    Woolworths are also running a Buy One Get One Free sale, with perhaps a smaller range of titles, but the selection in some cases is much better. They have the Sex and the City boxsets for £27.99 each, which works out to £14 if you buy two, which is quite good. They also have a few items in digipak which have since been "amarayed" such as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Edition and Saving Private Ryan :dts: 2 Disc 60th anniversary edition, so it's almost worth getting those for the packaging alone. There were also a few 5 movie genre specific boxsets included in the sale for £32.99 each, so that'd be 10 movies for £33 which isn't bad. The boxes included pretty good movies too such as Independence Day, Speed, Die Hard, There's Something About Mary, Ice Age, Dude Where's My Car and others.

Sale rating: 6.5/10

WH Smith
    WH Smith actually have three different sales going on at the moment, all worthy of a mention. Firstly they are offering 50% off some TV boxsets such as Smallville, Angel and Buffy. Of course this doesn't make them cheaper than the internet, but it makes them around the £25-£30 mark which is at least respectable. Secondly they are offering Buy One Get One Free on a selection of titles. On the whole, they are £16.99 titles so it's possible to get a few good deals there. What stood out for me though was Open Water £13.99 and BOGOF, so theoretically you could get that for £7. They also have a few of the Fox DVDs such as I Robot and XMen 1.5 at £16.99 rather than £19.99 with BOGOF on those too naturally. Thirdly, all chart DVD's and Boxsets are listed as Buy One Get One Half Price, which seems like a good deal, until you figure out that they are suddenly charging £18.99 for a one-disc and £20.99 for a two-disc DVD apart from a few exceptions, such as £14.99 for Saw. You'll still save a bit of money over other shops, and perhaps over play.com as well, but it's not as great as it sounds.

Sale rating: 7/10

Game
    Game are struggling to keep up on the DVD front these days, and my local branch have been stocking less and less DVDs over the past year, so it's quite a shock to see a decent sale there! They are offering Buy One Get One Free on a relatively limited selection of DVD's but the good thing is they haven't put their prices up, so they are mainly £12.99 BOGOF, making the dvd's £6.50 each. They have things like Predator two-disc special edition, Welcome To The Jungle and Terminator 3 included in the sale.

Sale rating: 5.5/10

2. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    head down to GAMESTATION shop, there have a mad sale on there dvd films

just got back from there with the MATRIX COLLECTION 10 DISCER for £15, got the last 1 from my local shop, there have a sale on all the new stuff to, so pop down have a look,

Spiderman 2 deluxe gift set £9.99
    hellraiser cube boxset down to £19.99
    matrix ultimate 10 disc set down to £29.99
    spiderman 2-disc £4.99
    disney aladdin 2-disc £9.99
    i-robot 2-disc £9.99
    day after tommorrow 2-disc £9.99
    dawn of the dead directors cut £9.99
    donnie darko £2.99

prices may very from shop to shop

plus many more check out your local store
    dvds started from £1.99

happy hunting

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    just went to mine to check it out, and apart from open water, van helsing and i robot being £9.99, there was nothing else to speak of :(

4. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I used to use MVC a lot but they dont seem
    to compete on price so much now.I picked
    up Ultimate Kylie there though for £7.99 not bad for
    32 videos,thats if you are into the Aussie vixen :D
    Also just noticed same price CDWOW.

5. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tafsir
    How did you get the Ultimate Matrix for £15? Was it pre-owned? Went to the Chiswick store where they had 2 new copies for £30, but wasnt really tempted.
    That said, I picked up the Star Wars Trilogy for £20. Nice one! :thumbsup: Bizarre considering they were selling pre-owned copies for £25.

Across the road, MVC had the Dungeons & Dragons boxset for £25. Not exactly a super-bargain, but cheaper than anywhere else i could find it.
    Cheers!

6. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest dvdsoon/cdwow are so superior in price and availability that I haven't bought a dvd from a retailer for about 2 years. I only buy R1 because of the quicker availabilty, better features/artwork and usually better sound and vision. Just take 'Saw' as an example for £5 from dvdsoon :clap:

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    You can get Dawn of the Dead 2004 Director's Cut for £7.99 @ Play.com, with the Hellraiser set being £13.95 @ Filmnight.com.

Bought Donnie Darko DC today from CD-WOW, £6.99 with £2 off for using the voucher codes. As for Saw I thought about it for that price, it's a trade off though - you get great price, better extras and sound (I think) but you get a cut film so I passed.

8. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

A few seconds cut. You want to pay £14.99 + for a few seconds when the R1 has better art, costs about £6 (from dvdsoon), has better sound (dts 6.1) and better extras :nono: :nono: :oops: etc

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    No I don't want to pay £14.99,why would I want to do that?. I will wait till it inevitably drops down to £7.99. Yeah the few seconds are important to me, I want every single frame of the film. Won't be buying the R2 Spiderman 2 for the same reason.

Besides it's just a case for waiting a bit longer until R1 gets an unrated release.

10. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :nono:

A few seconds of a hand in someone's guts means so much to you???? :rolleyes: :suicide: :nono:

11. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    it was priced up as £15 in my local shop, it was brand new & sealed,
    did notice it came up as £30 on the till, the guy just ignored it & gave it to me
    + i did notice ther was a few sets behind the counter, with the price £15 on them , i asked the guy at the counter if he had anymore for sale & the guy said it was the last one in the shop, i pointed to the few copies behind on the self, he goes there are sold to the workers in the shop,

so i think i just got lucky i guess

12. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably true for new releases, but there are all sorts of reasons to use good old bricks & mortar occasionally, particularly for older items. I absolutely love DVDSoon & CD-Wow (the 2 vendors I buy most from), but sometimes...

- you want something that costs more than £18 and you don't want to risk importing it
    - you want the R2 release so US/Canadian retailers no good
    - you want the thing there and then (not exactly a USP for DVDSoon)
    - you want a release that CD-Wow doesn't stock since their inventory is relatively limited
    - you don't have time to trawl online for the very best deals
    - you actually like wandering into a store, browsing and buying something you want, which you think is a bargain.
    - the store actually has a real bargain (usually stock clearance) which is the best price you've seen anywhere

For me, the Star Wars Trilogy @ £20 was something that neither Soon nor Wow could match.

13. oakwell

oakwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whilst in my local Tesco last night, I noticed they had quite a sizeable collection of dvd films in their sale. They were marked up as 2 for £10. However, their online listing here suggests a fiver each! A few titles there that I'm sure anyone wouldn't feel too hard done by spending a fiver on.

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I find that I have no need at all to buy from a retailer. I don't care about cutoms when using dvdsoon: it still always works out cheaper than cdwow/R2 :devil:

15. Stuart

Stuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,008
    Yesterday in my local Woolworths, I picked up the French Connection / French Connection II 3 Disc Set as part of their BOGOF promo priced at £14.99

The other title I bought was the 2-Disc Enter the Dragon priced at £15.99. So I got both for a total of £15.99

BTW. Even at DVDSoon the FC set is over a tenner.