1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the fly DD encoding?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul D, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi.<br />I have my PC sound card connected to my Amp via a Digital coax lead.(spdif)<br />This is fine for passing Dolby/DTS 5.1. But for games it reverts to PCM stereo.<br />I believe there are some new soundcards coming out with DD 5.1/4.1/4.0 "on the fly encoding", for games etc.<br />Anybody know when they are out?

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fulabeer,

This will be of any use only of your game software is capable of generating more than 2 distictive audio channels.

However, for a game to do this it will need to have multi-channel audio card in the PC. This would usually have analog connectors that you can connect directly to your multi-channel receiver. This would be much cheaper than AC3 encoding in real-time.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I only ran two phono leads from the HTPC to the amp (for stereo sound etc). But know i just use one lead to pipe PCM/DD/DTS.<br />I've heard new games are comimg out that support 5.1 etc. Plus some games have four channel sound already. I just want this "four channel" to be sent to my amp digitally "4.0" etc with the one phono.<br />That way the sound card converts any multi channel game into a signal the amp can decode etc.

This way it will save me having to lift the carpet to run four other phonos!.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,528
    DTS have produced a SDK (software developers kit) for the PS2 to produce real time encoded 5.1 sound.
    I also know Dolby are working on a real time encoder in the software.
    I think the most likely configuration we'll see is 5.1 encoding within games for output of an optical or coax equipped sound card. That will be the most compatible with current systems.