1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On screen displays

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dom Rice, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way of getting the on screen displays from my denon amp on to my Toshiba 28 widescreen telly other than using the input at the front of the telly.

Having a wire at the front of the telly looks pants.

Both scart lead inputs are used by the skybox and the dvd player.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy. Route the dvd and the skybox through the amp, that's kind-of what it's there for. Then it switches all audio and video sources. Any supposed 'quality drop' will be negligible.

Mike.

3. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if the dvd player has only one scart output. (No s-vhs)

So im thinking i need to get a scart lead from my dvd player that changes in to either s-vhs or component (the ones that are red green and blue) which can go directly into the amp.

Sorry, Im not very clued up on the terms for various leads. If this is correct do you know of any online retailers where i can get such a lead? If so what are the leads called?

Hope you can help.

:rolleyes:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why do you want it connected permanently. Once you have set it up you can put the cable away until you change something. I don't have mine there all the time.

5. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true, but knowing me it will take some time to set it up correctly.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That won't work unless you spend a fortune on a converter and you might as well buy a new DVD player instead.

7. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,

Just the encouragement I needed to change my dvd player.

What about the sony sky box? This has no other outputs other than scart.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If sky digital you won't get s-video out of it (only sky + offers this).

Assuming it's vanilla sky (?) then you need a scart -> composite + 2 phono (audio) out - forget the audio connections if you're using the Sony box.

For the DVD, you need a scart -> S-VIDEO (assuming digital audio input for the player via an alternate lead).

All these go TO the amp.

From the back of your amp you need s-video + composite -> scart.

That's all one way of doing it but you can always get yourself some of
    these little fellas and just use standard leads rather than scarty ones. The same site has much cheap prices on other leads too.

Forget component if your TV doesn't support it, don't confuse it with RGB.

Mike.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are serious, have a look at the Pioneer 545 which is available multi region at about £270. This is what I have and not only is it an excellent DVD player that is pretty good with music too but it also has two scart sockets and you can route the Sky Box into the second scart so that you can use RGB on both if you only have one RGB enabled scart socket on the TV.

Some Toshiba televisions have component video input. If yours is one you can look at a Toshiba dvd player that outputs component video and save the RGB scart for the Digibox

10. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is normal sky.

So I will need a scart -> composite lead. As you say audio comes out of a digital optical out straight to the amp.

And for the dvd, a Scart -> S-VIDEO.

All these go TO the amp.

From the amp have one lead that goes to telly. s-vhs-- > scart. This will then use the amp to switch between dvd and sky automatically?

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second the 545 recommendation, I bought mine from Superfi for £270 and I couldn't be happier with it.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check.

Not what I was suggesting, the scart into the TV will have to carry both composite *and* s-video as at least one of your sources (i.e., sky) are composite. However, the RGB from the sony box is noticeably better so...

...another option is to have the RGB output of your skybox go straight into a dedicated scart and use a macro to select that scart input when you select sky for viewing.

Mike.

13. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks guys. I'll try the macro thing first.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Let's start again.

How many scart sockets do you have on your TV and how many are RGB enabled ?

Do you have a seperate s-video input on the TV ?

Will your DVD player output s-video ?

Do you have a VCR as this hasn't been mentioned so far ?

15. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There are two scarts on tv. one rgb enabled. one s-vhs enabled.

No seperate s-vhs other than through the scart2 imput.

Yes I think my pioneer 535 dvd player will output s-vhs.

The vcr is normally connected through the second scart on the sky box.

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    RGB is the best quality video output closely followed by s-video with composite trailing well in the rear.

As your Sky Box won't output s-video switch it to RGB (in the Sky setup somewhere) and plug into AV1.

Switch your dvd player to s-video and input into AV2.

This will give you good picture quality on both sources instead of just DVD.

Televisions need to have s-video switched on and off in the setup menu so don't forget to switch AV2 from composite to s-video.

Getting back to your original question, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes of OSD time to set up your Denon so just use the front AV and disconnect when finished.

17. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks will do.

One other question you may be able to answer being a denon owner. In the manual I think it describes how to set different speaker configurations for the different sound formats. ie a, b or a+b rear speakers for different sound formats.

Do you know of the correct/default settings and why are these settings configurable?

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that it is for when you have four rear speakers for ES duties. Denon have thought that maybe some people might not want all four on when using different formats so have given you the option of switching off (normally) the centre rears.

Like many people my room is not ideal for extra rears so I haven't gone down that route.

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi

You have the option of Surround A, Surround B & Surround A/B in addition to the Surround Back speakers.

Its so you can connect, for example, a pair of Dipoles/Bipoles/Tripoles as Surround A, a pair of monopoles as Surround B and then you have the choice of Surround A for movies or Surround B for Music/DVD Audio etc or vice versa or you can run them both together Surround A/B (not advisable as it buggers up the soundstage at the rear). You have to set the channel levels for each individual mode via the setup menu.

You can then engage the Surround Back channels as well for either mode. You can also get the amp to produce the surround A or B channels out of the Surround Back speakers (NON MATRIX mode) but dont worry about that for now!!

Cheers

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Normally the default settings for most setups would be

Front L, Front R, Centre
    Surround A
    Surround Back (either one or two speakers)
    Subwoofer

Generally setting all speakers to small, all bass to the sub will give you the best results.

If you only have one surround back speaker make sure its connected to the surround back LEFT terminal.

21. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.:p