On Screen Display / Yamaha AX1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sam10, Dec 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. sam10

sam10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can one of you guys expain to me how to get the OSD working on my amp. I have in the past only used audio connections through my amps and so I am new to plugging in video signals. At the moment I have only a DVD (Pioneer 717) plugged in via an Optical lead and I have also used a lead from the Video out into my amp as the book suggest, but I don't know why. The other connection is scart - scart from DVD to TV.

I have a S/VHS lead I can plug from my TV to amp if I need to but I am not sure if I would have to plug it in via the TV socket on the amp or Monitor out.

As I said before in the past I have only used audio leads as I didn't see the point of plugging video through an amp. What is the reason for this, recording onto a VHS that's plugged in or is there something I am missing.

I know this is basic stuff but I am fairly basic you know.

Thanks

Neil.

2. Phillipmichael

Phillipmichael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,
    I have my tv connected to my A-X1 via a scart to s-vhs lead,
    into the Monitor out 1, output on the amp, the main reason being that if you have a lot of video components in your system, ie. dvd, video, games console, digibox/Sky/ITV digital etc.etc. the amp can act as a switching unit of video signals as well as audio signals at the same time. Composite video signals also carry the onscreen display from the amp to the tv. The monitor 2 output can feed a projector or another tv with the same signal also carrying onscreen displays from the amp.
    I personally find it very useful having the amp switch the video signal and audio signal together, but, although my dvd player is
    connected to the amp with a s-vhs cable, i also use a high quality scart-scart cable from QED directly to the tv from the dvd player
    for an RGB picture signal, an improvement even over s-vhs.

3. sam10

sam10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phillip that helps clear a few things up in my mind.

I have only had the amp a couple of days and am just trying to get the best out of it.

Hell of a difference though compared to my old Sony 940. Jeses Christ almighty I played the fast and the furious last night and about blew the house up.

thanks

Neil.