1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On screen Display on avr-2105

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marky1975, Aug 27, 2005.

1. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a AVR-2105 i have got it wired up from Sky+ via a rgb to component converter in to the receiver. then out of receiver into Plasma via component.
    it works lovely apart from i don't get the on screen display from the receiver.

any ideas anyone

thanks

mark

2. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its like the 3805 you cannot get the osd via component

3. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and if i can remember corectly you need to plug a lead into the connection on the back of the receiver and run it to the display, i used phono to scart i think you can also use s-vhs leads

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    You can get the OSD via component from both the 2805 and the 3805, but only when the amp isn't routing a component signal from another device. So if, say, you have your DVD player plugged into the component inputs, you won't get OSD while the DVD player is on, but you should while it is off. If you want OSD on top of the DVD picture, you need to run an S-VHS or composite cable as well as the component cables - when you enter an OSD mode, the picture then drops back to the S-VHS source.

5. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks everyone will give svideo a try
    thanks
    mark

6. marky1975

marky1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doesnt work svideo do i have to chnge something as all i done was plug svideo in

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read some where you could use s-vid, i myself used a composite to scart lead

8. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tried this with my 2105 last night and I still couldn't get an OSD. :( I'm not running a 10m S-vid lead just for that. The LCD isn't really all that bad for navigating round., I have had much worse :rotfl: I got used to it pretty quickly.

9. dnoyce

dnoyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a continuation of this topic I have to say I am somewhat confused as to the possibilities of OSD with the 2105. I have had it working on an AV in, for set-up purposes, but is it possible to use it for everyday use with,say, volume control setting in TV mode? My TV is a Panasonic TX 32 LXD1 with built in freeview.
    If I may change the thread slightly, is it possible to have pre-set volume-control settings on the 2105 to avoid the all or nothing set-up which comes as default?
    Apologies if this has come up before but could find nothing on the subject.
    David

10. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    you should get a signal with comp. or s video for the osd side of things.
    had the same problem with my 2803, having rigged up all my gear i was not best pleased to have to go out and get a 10m s video cable just to enter a set up menu.
    cant believe denon ommitted this feature through component then happen to mention it tucked away in the small print.
    anyway,if you're not getting a signal through s video it may be un-selected in your set up menu...which you cant enter to change!.
    what i ended up doing was connecting a portable telly using a composite cable i had knocking around and then entered the osd menu that way in order to change things about.
    before all that i would just check that you're using the right s video out on your denon or try the other ones if theres more than one.
    hope this helps.

11. dnoyce

dnoyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No joy as yet. Connecting to the s-vid out on the 2105 produces nothing. At present the lead is connected to the monitor out, which is s-vid, to the AV2 on the TV, which is a scart socket with a Scart to s-vid converter. I can see the 2105 set-up on the TV screen with this connection, but only with the TV set to AV2. But what I really want to do is to see the volume-control setting on the TV screen whilst watching TV. Is this possible? Logic seems to tell me that it isn't, not with these connections anyway. But what do I know? Can anyone confirm that it is, please?

12. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 2106 and the cabling set up identical to yours. I can't overlay the volume control or set-up screen whilst watching TV but that's to be expected I'd have thought as the feed is going in through AV2 with my TV signal going in through component. If there is a way to do this though and overlay the OSD then great, I'd be keen to hear about that too.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    my 3803 overlays OSD's via component when being fed a component signal from the DVD player, or when being fed s-video by Sky.....

im surprised the newer models dont.....

well, it overlays most OSD's, the actual setup menus just go to a black background screen i think, but i can switch in to it while watching a DVD....but the surround options OSD and volume control come up overlayed over the film....