1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On PQ alone: FMJ27A or DV79?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Luis, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering both can be picked up for the same price nowadays, which wins on pure PQ?

I know the audio via the DV27A appears to be far suerior to the DV79, but DVD PQ is my primary concern

thanks

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi Luis,

It depends! Does your TV/dsiplay have an HDMI input? If so, go for the DV79. The difference in PQ via component / RGB scart would be more equivocal.

Greg

3. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I do have an HDMI input on my plasma. The reason I've been debating between DV79 and DV27 is because when I demo-ed the the DV79 I struggled to see any real improvement with the HDMI over component.

So whilst the HDMI is a nice convenient option to have, if the images via component on the DV27 are noticeably better than on the DV79 that would probably swing my choice

4. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I compared both (I briefly owned both) and for me on my Panasonic 50" HD plasma could not see any difference whatsoever with analogue progressive scan component. A friend and I spent all evening looking for a difference, using exactly the same (bit for bit) source discs, same interconnects, connecting both via component inputs on an AVR300. This meant we could actually switch between them on the fly in order to do a quick A-B comparison. Needless to say we found no difference with either PAL or NTSC material.

If you want everything:
    1. A very high quality analogue image.
    2. HDMI for the future.
    3. A very (and I mean very) good CD player.
    then buy the DV29.

If you want just 1&2, then buy the DV79.
    If you want just 1&3, buy the DV27A

HTH,
    Dean

5. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a really helpful post Dean!

I'd heard from a few sources that component via the 27 really outshone the 79, but if that's not actually the case then I think it would be more sensible for me to invest in the 79.

The DV29 is a little out of my price range unfortunately

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The DV27A will do a better job of deinterlacing, especially with film material. Whether that's enough to overcome the advantage that HDMI has over component, I don't know.

I suspect (but, again, cannot say from direct observation) that the 27A will do a better job of CD and DVD-A playback.

7. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Luis,

I myself was sucked in to the commonly stated belief that the DV27A is FAR superior.

If you read http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ then it would also have you believe that the DV27A was far superior.

The truth is that the DV27A has an additional standalone deinterlacing device: the SiI504 (made by Silicon Images). The DV79/29 uses just the deinterlacing capabilities of the Zoran Vaddis 5.

Let me state my opinion, and since August, I have owned all three (I now own a '29). The DV27A will perform better with badly produced discs i.e. ones which switch between film & video on a per frame basis. With the DV79/29 you may see some combing at these points (I have seen it happen once with a star trek voyager dvd).

These are the sorts of deinterlacing (progressive scan) tests that hometheatrehifi perform. They deliberately test the de-interlacer with 'non-standard' (or badly produced material) and see what the results are.

99% of discs produced do not exhibit these problems. Remember that film mode deinterlacing is not 'rocket science', it is just combining two fields which were created at the same point in time - that is all.
    Deinterlacing video material is much more difficult since the two fields were not created at the same point in time.

Notice that hometheaterhifi do not discuss visual picture quality, and actually say that the Denon's are good machines, even though they macroblock severely and look terrible on a plasma.

If you are only interested in picture quality, and would like the HDMI for the future, then buy the 79. If you want a very good cd player as well (BTW the 79 isn't terrible), then look at the FMJ machines.

BTW, many people will STRONGLY disagree with the above, but have they actually tested all three with the same display and done some valid A-B comparisons?

Hope this helps some more,
    Dean

8. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good to hear from someone who has had experience with all three :)

I think I'm leaning towards the DV79. As I said previously, music isn't such a concern to me as I already have a seperate hifi setup for when I want to do some proper listening!

9. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Dean,

Hmm...can't speak to the 29, but my wife and I did do an A/B with the 78/79 and then with the 79/27A. In both cases we used the same discs, the same cables, and the AVR300. Picturewise, we found the 78/79 to be identical, but the 79/27A was a different story: the 79 was noticeably greener and also more washed-out-looking than the 27A. (And yes, I checked IRE and other settings -- all were identical.) It sounds like the main difference between your setup and ours (other than the obvious human factor and differing source material) is the display: we have a Sony HD CRT. Perhaps that might account for the differing results? (For purely aesthetic reasons we were trying to like the 79, but the video -- and audio! -- differences it had the 27A were too large to be ignored at that price, so we went with the 27A.)

10. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks tvh3ad.

I almost wish my screen didn't have HDMI input now. Would make it a much easier choice. I just can't help but feel that the HDMI output on the 79 might come in useful, particularly in the future

Argh, decisions, decisions

11. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Our display only has one HDMI input and we're saving it for either HD DVD or an HD DVR (whichever comes first), so for us the decision was easy: we wanted the best component-input player we could find.

12. Luis

Luis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try out the 79 via HDMI at the time? If so what were your thoughts?

13. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Nope -- we only looked at component. As I mentioned our display only has one HDMI input and we knew we would be using it for something else down the road.