On/Off Cycles - AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fjorko, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looking at Calibos' post on his amazing 5000Hrs AE300 milestone, i was thinking about the number of on/off cycles per day on the average projector ( OK the AE500 :D )

If i want to switch it on and off at least once an evening, every evening, bar some week days. Would that be classed as normal use in terms of on/off cycles ?. I'm looking to reach something similar to Calibos with regards to lamp life, but seem afraid to use it TOO much because i know that on/off cycles is bad for the lamp

What would you class as "At this rate your bulb aint gonna last long mate!" :lesson: in terms of average daily on/off cycles (2 or 3 on/off's per day ?) :confused:

Cheers

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No one knows the answer. You bought the thing to watch stuff - chill and watch stuff. If you were switching the thing on and off like a yoyo, then it probably wouldn't do it a whole lot of good, but as long as it cools down properly between cycles, it shouldn't really matter.

For what it's worth, I've got 1600 hrs on my ae100, with about 800 on-off cycles - that's a movie at a time, give or take, sometimes two movies, a few longer sessions, and a few shorter demo or tweak sessions. It's regularly on and off twice or three times a day, mainly at weekends, usually once on weekdays. This, of course, tells you zilch........

As I say, just watch the thing, enjoy it and don't be worrying about "using up" the lamp too quickly. Projectors get used, they lose their value spectacularly (just check secondhand prices on the Hardware for Sale forum to see), their value is the dividend of pleasure you get from watching movies/whatever you like on a big screen. Stick a fiver in a jar every week.... in a year/whatever you'll have the cost of a replacement lamp.... no worries.

S.

3. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You sound like my dad Ritz ! :rotfl:

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,661
    Completely seconds theritz on this. The PJ I bought has a comparitively short lamp life (~2000 hours) and expensive lamps but I will not allow myself to worry about turning it on and off too much or 'using up' the hours on the bulb.
    Don't abuse it by turning it on and off unnecessarily, and don't leave it on for ages when you aren't using it either, but accept that if you get to the natural end of the bulb life then you'll have had a big chunk of movie fun!

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Would agree with the above i turn my pj on/off once every other night on average, and at weekends probably two times per day depending on whether i am playing the xbox or tweaking etc.