Question On Netflix's terrible grain

Alexious

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I'm a new owner of an LG OLED B7 4K HDR TV, which also came with three months of Netflix subscription. This was the first time I've watched Netflix and while I was amazed by The Siege of Jadotville's quality, others such as The OA show a disturbing grain effect that completely ruins 4K HDR/Dolby Vision. Am I alone in noticing this? It's mind-boggling that they would do this, honestly.

Yes it is a problem with general streaming video compression. A 1080p blu ray in many cases looks better or on par with both 4k Netflix and 4k Amazon Prime streaming content.

Sky 4k looks better as it is via Satellite or downloaded and less compressed. But no HDR on Sky yet.

I'm guessing it all depends on the directors intent or the way it was shot as to how grainy the image is,

To a certain degree. You can apply noise reduction filter settings on your TV. The grain is massively reduced by sitting further away from the tv, but you compromise the immersive viewing experience.

All those recommendations on 4k viewing distance to tv size are based on a solid blu ray content, not compressed Netflix/Amazon/BBC iPlayer/YouTube.

Netflix is cramming the content down a 15.26MB stream, 18mb if HDR.

How do others compare? I cant get stats on TV for Amazon and VUDU seems to be 15-25MB, though factor in a VPN and its probably less. I didnt watch Pacific Rim in UHD via Vudu last night and it was fantastic though, compared with the 1080p Blu-ray and switching between inputs, the UHD version on VUDU (no HDR)) blew it away, and Pacific Rim is visually impressive at 1080 already.

I agree about the grain though. Though if it is there intentionally, not much we can do.

Netflix is cramming the content down a 15.26MB stream, 18mb if HDR.

How do others compare? I cant get stats on TV for Amazon and VUDU seems to be 15-25MB, though factor in a VPN and its probably less. I didnt watch Pacific Rim in UHD via Vudu last night and it was fantastic though, compared with the 1080p Blu-ray and switching between inputs, the UHD version on VUDU (no HDR)) blew it away, and Pacific Rim is visually impressive at 1080 already.

I agree about the grain though. Though if it is there intentionally, not much we can do.

Hello, even with HDR 4k, Netflix is 15.26mbps. Allot of us have much faster internet so they should give us more options.

Sky 4k is less compressed and can be downloaded, but no Hdr.

Hello, even with HDR 4k, Netflix is 15.26mbps. Allot of us have much faster internet so they should give us more options.

Sky 4k is less compressed and can be downloaded, but no Hdr.

Are you sure? I cant test as I dont have a HDR set, but it would appear its 18mb for HDR streams.

Not that I am disagreeing with you, just going off whats posted online.

I have noticed some Sky UHD content appearing on various less than legal sites. I am sure Sky will stop the ability to download soon based on that.

Are you sure? I cant test as I dont have a HDR set, but it would appear its 18mb for HDR streams.

Not that I am disagreeing with you, just going off whats posted online.

I have noticed some Sky UHD content appearing on various less than legal sites. I am sure Sky will stop the ability to download soon based on that.

I am 100percent sure as both my new 2017 Sony Android TV and UHD BLU RAY player shows the mbps speed on Netflix content. It is 15.26mbps and others also confirmed it.

Don't know Amazon bit rate.

I am 100percent sure as both my new 2017 Sony Android TV and UHD BLU RAY player shows the mbps speed on Netflix content. It is 15.26mbps and others also confirmed it.

Don't know Amazon bit rate.

Interesting. Its definitely 15.26 for Ultra HD streams. I have the on screen stats with my LG and its goes from 5mb to 15mb in 20 seconds or so. I would assume more data is sent with the HDR stream so I wonder how that effects the quality.

The OA was filmed that way. Don't blame Netflix or your tv

Hi, everyone.

I'm a new owner of an LG OLED B7 4K HDR TV, which also came with three months of Netflix subscription. This was the first time I've watched Netflix and while I was amazed by The Siege of Jadotville's quality, others such as The OA show a disturbing grain effect that completely ruins 4K HDR/Dolby Vision. Am I alone in noticing this? It's mind-boggling that they would do this, honestly.

Netflix PQ will be dependant on its source material and compression and ones internet speed to garner the best possible results. As such results can vary from punter to punter . A spinner be it SDR or HDR is still the best option. To many variables on streaming I'm afraid to be consistent and why us fossils like our physical discs :D.

Yes, of course.

Great.

In that case, I watched the VUDU UHD version of BvS Extended and while not Pacific Rim levels, I was rather impressed. To say I got the full edition for just £5 made it even better.

Great.

In that case, I watched the VUDU UHD version of BvS Extended and while not Pacific Rim levels, I was rather impressed. To say I got the full edition for just £5 made it even better.
I am satisfied with Netflix on 4K Oled panel. I feel like I am getting what I am paying or.
I am watching season 2 of marco polo in DV and although not excatly UHD disc quality, it is a very good picture with a few 'WOW' moments even

The OA was filmed that way. Don't blame Netflix or your tv

Netflix produced The OA. And the same is true for some of their shows. Even The Defenders has truly obnoxious grain.

Netflix produced The OA. And the same is true for some of their shows. Even The Defenders has truly obnoxious grain.

I'm on holiday and watch the defenders (netflix) this afternoon and now Oasis (AP) - I'm not sure if it's just the grain or something they are doing with codec but it's night and day the difference in picture quality and also simply colour.

Anyone compare Sky Q vs Netflix?

Riviera in UHD (downloaded) has a very good picture quality, but its mostly shot outside in sunlight. I found the latest Narcos in HDR on netflix to be very over saturated with a lot of red. Both watched on the same display settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom